I still think Goodwin has another year (possibly more) at this level but we all know his reputation has worked against him this season.

As a fan I'd have loved to see him offered another year but I guess we've got to trust the dispassionate judgement of AR/DF.

Legend! punk.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

i would keep goody in a heartbeat...and he would be first pick on the teamsheet

every team needs an anchor man and we dont have one other that Jim Goodwin plus he is a leader

Its the Championship league...we need Jim

OR WOULD YOU RATHER HE PLAYED AGAINST US.......hmmmmmm

The real mistake we made in letting Danny Lennon go was in who we replaced him with. As much as I admire Jim Goodwin, I feel the same here. I think letting him go will only be a big mistake if we do not use the wage it frees up to draft in a good quality (for our budget) replacement. Some cheap deal loanee kid from the depths of the 'Old Firm' U20s won't do.

Edited by pozbaird

For me Jim is a class midfield player that can break up the play and upset the opistion he is a player I will always remember . Always spoke the club up looked after him self an all rounder . All the best for the future Jim hope one day you come back to be a manager natural born leader.

The problem is that Jim can't play in a 442, his legs don't let him get about enough anymore, if we were going to play 5 in midfield Jim would still do a job but Rae favours a straight 442 unfortunately for Jim.

I wish him all the best for the future!

I might have agreed with you 18 months ago bud, but I think JG is fitter than he has ever been in his time with us.

Thought Goody was great in his final appearance today. After seeing us sit back and concede most of the pitch to The International Rangers and stand off them as they strode into our half it was brilliant to see Goody flying into the 50/50 challenges, and his one boo boo was the clumsy free kick he gave away near the edge of the box - even there he was trying to get out of the way. Booked yet again for his only foul of the game!

What's done is done as far as the decisions not to play him under Rae or offer him a new deal. So long as Rae is able to bring in a set of midfielders who can compete, control the ball, pass to their own team then I'll be happy enough... my problem with Rae's treatment of Goodwin was the way he played guys like McMullan, Gow, Agnew, Carswell, Howieson, Stewart in midfield (not always in Goodwin's role admittedly) when their fitness, ability, suitability was very much in doubt while Goodwin had recovered from injury and was left on the sidelines. It seemed like he was willing to give those guys a chance and once they failed to take it dropped them after a few games when Goodwin has been consistently good this season.

Goodwin and thommo I think will be back as a management team one day. Ex players with coaching badges and a passion for our club. Boys see you again soon

5 years maybe 10 years from now Goody will be saying in a press interview that he,s returning to his spiritual home.You heard it here first.

Thought Goody was great in his final appearance today. After seeing us sit back and concede most of the pitch to The International Rangers and stand off them as they strode into our half it was brilliant to see Goody flying into the 50/50 challenges, and his one boo boo was the clumsy free kick he gave away near the edge of the box - even there he was trying to get out of the way. Booked yet again for his only foul of the game!

What's done is done as far as the decisions not to play him under Rae or offer him a new deal. So long as Rae is able to bring in a set of midfielders who can compete, control the ball, pass to their own team then I'll be happy enough... my problem with Rae's treatment of Goodwin was the way he played guys like McMullan, Gow, Agnew, Carswell, Howieson, Stewart in midfield (not always in Goodwin's role admittedly) when their fitness, ability, suitability was very much in doubt while Goodwin had recovered from injury and was left on the sidelines. It seemed like he was willing to give those guys a chance and once they failed to take it dropped them after a few games when Goodwin has been consistently good this season.

Alex Rae is a shrewd and fairly ruthless guy. He obviously had his mind made up about Goodwin, that's that really. He allowed Goodwin a sentimental goodbye, fair enough, but tbh if Rae is ruthless and focused, then thank gawd for that. We have lacked that in a manager at our club for years.

I always liked Goodwin, an articulate and honest guy, with a semi mental streak, that was as frustrating as it was funny. He was good for us and bad for us in fairly equal measure over the whole, although clearly a League Cup legend. Hope he does allright except against us.

Alex Rae is a shrewd and fairly ruthless guy. He obviously had his mind made up about Goodwin, that's that really. He allowed Goodwin a sentimental goodbye, fair enough, but tbh if Rae is ruthless and focused, then thank gawd for that. We have lacked that in a manager at our club for years.

I always liked Goodwin, an articulate and honest guy, with a semi mental streak, that was as frustrating as it was funny. He was good for us and bad for us in fairly equal measure over the whole, although clearly a League Cup legend. Hope he does allright except against us.

I thought yesterday's booking typified a lot of the cards he picked up in the last few seasons... his first and only foul of the game for bumping into someone as they changed direction. No one else on the park would have been booked for that challenge. Ultimately he only had himself to blame for two pointless off the ball elbowing incidents against Dundee United that elevated him to SPL Villian #1, however I thought that for the most part he acquitted himself well in a situation where managers like McNamara, Adams, Butcher targetted him pre and post match and clearly instructed their players to try and get Goodwin sent off and the diving , feigning injury, surrounding the referee and calling for a red or yellow card became uglier than any of Goodwin's misdemeanours. At various points I thought we as a club should have been more robust in defending him against the targeted playacting from opponents that became a feature of his last 3 seasons with us.

Agree with this. Goodwin has probably been the biggest character at the club in the time my two sons have been watching football. In many ways I'd imagine he is to them what Billy Abercrombie was to me when I was growing up and I totally understand the legendary status that has been pinned on Jim.

That's not to say that both were brilliant - Abercrombie ill discipline could frustrate me as much as I'm sure Goodwin frustrated them. But they'll fondly remember Goodwin as a cup winning captain who'd often over step the mark in his determination to win.

Rae is the manager. He's got to be trusted in this. If he feels he can lose Goodwin and recruit better value for money for the wage then the fans really ought to trust that. At least Rae hasn't shirked from making an obviously unpopular decision.

I would love to see us give Goody a new contract , he adds much needed bite to our midfield.

Why is he going ? Only a handful of people connected with the Club know for sure the real reasons. Is it a financial thing ? Possibly . But i think its simply that Rae wants to have his own players at the club, to have such a strong character as Goody hanging round from a previous regime may not be what Rae wants as he builds for the future.

Whatever the reason , he is going with our best wishes & thanks for his efforts. Good luck wherever you end up Goody but please dont let it be Morton !!! rolleyes.gif

To be honest i think this is the right time for Jim to move on. He's not the player he was and he's not getting any younger. At least he's leaving with the fans chanting his name, like Thommo.... and he will always be treated as a hero when he comes back to St Mirren park. It looks like Rae is going to put his stamp on the team this coming pre season with a lot of new faces coming in and that will bring a freshness to the team, i'd like to think his purchases will be better than Murray's.

To be honest i think this is the right time for Jim to move on. He's not the player he was and he's not getting any younger. At least he's leaving with the fans chanting his name, like Thommo.... and he will always be treated as a hero when he comes back to St Mirren park. It looks like Rae is going to put his stamp on the team this coming pre season with a lot of new faces coming in and that will bring a freshness to the team, i'd like to think his purchases will be better than Murray's.

That wouldn't be hard.

Whilst I am disappointed to see "The Goodwin" leave the club I am now firmly of the opinion that this for the best.

Mr James Goodwin leaves our club having carved out a very deep and genuine fondness from every genuine fanatic of our wonderful club. He leaves with his head held high and the warmest of wishes of any decent supporter of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad.

Such a status does not befall too many player's in the modern game and it would have been far sadder if he were to stay on past his prime and tarnish the warm memories that we as a collective now hold.

Good luck James Goodwin, go forth and succeed but do so at a club other than that Greenock lot, they are beneath you, beneath you indeed.

I wonder if days like yesterday are partly why Rae has decided to let him go. If he can get a guy who isn't quite as good but doesn't have Goodwin's reputation that contributes to him getting ridiculously soft bookings then it may work out better in the long run.