Got his training top yesterday as he got ready to go on, took it home to my 13 yr old girl who worships him. When I handed it to her she smelt it and hugged it like a baby with a blanket. Every home game she went to he spoke to her( we sit beside home dugout) and nothing was any trouble. A rare breed who understands players come and go but the fans are forever. She though, will never forget him. All the best Jim, thanks for the memories

I wonder if days like yesterday are partly why Rae has decided to let him go. If he can get a guy who isn't quite as good but doesn't have Goodwin's reputation that contributes to him getting ridiculously soft bookings then it may work out better in the long run.

Yup, a pragmatic and team based view from Rae, hard to dispute that. Goodwin was far too obvious a card target. Who could forget the Collum booking on Goodwin @ that Hampden semi when the ball bounced off his legs and hit his arm from about three yards. Goodwin was getting booked because he just did, refs just booked him. The booking on Sunday as well, gained by reputation , not actually committing a yellow card offence. A joke really, yet there was indeed another side, a darker side as well.............................whistling.gif

I would love to see us give Goody a new contract , he adds much needed bite to our midfield.

Why is he going ? Only a handful of people connected with the Club know for sure the real reasons. Is it a financial thing ? Possibly . But i think its simply that Rae wants to have his own players at the club, to have such a strong character as Goody hanging round from a previous regime may not be what Rae wants as he builds for the future.

Whatever the reason , he is going with our best wishes & thanks for his efforts. Good luck wherever you end up Goody but please dont let it be Morton !!! rolleyes.gif

would you like me to step in, in his place mate ? its basically a like for like replacement lol

A brilliant guy and a brilliant player for us for the vast majority of his time with us, however this is the right time for him to go and move on.

We shouldn't ever forget the class of 2013 and the cup win they brought us but it's been hanging over the club ever since like a bad hangover.

We have to put that era behind us now and look forward and move on.

Wish Jim all the best wherever he ends up, can't really imagine he'll be inundated with offers in the Championship but if he ends up playing against us then so be it.

Really think Jim is a super guy and fully committed. He talks well and gives his all. Question is whether that is enough and at 34 has lost some of his pace? Bottom line is that if he was still as good as we think he is why would AR let him go? Maybe, Rae feels he can get a younger and fitter player for less than what we were paying Jim? Or, maybe he just feels Jim's best days are behind him?

Spoke to Jim briefly after the game, a gentleman for sure.

Asked him why he wasnt offered contract he just said thats football . Apart from SM , hes still our best midfielder by a distance in my opinion. JG never relied on pace so I cant understand why that would be a major factor, indeed the whole team is slow , Rae needs to sign some quicker players for next season.

I would have kept him for sure, maybe Rae just wanted to freshen things up and do a total clear our, with JG obviously interested in management could also have been a factor I think.

Got the impression that JG would be more comfortable staying in the championship so expect him to snap up any offers and be playing against us .

He might come back as manager one day.

Goody was by some distance our best player until his injury. His job was to look for danger and break up play and cover for defensive mistakes which he done superbly. Rae did not play him even once so was in no position to judge his footballing abilities. Rae simply does not fancy him for whatever reason and our loss will be someone else's gain.

• 1 month later...