Allegedly Goody turned it down as he would not have complete control over team affairs. Dundee to appoint a new Director of Football (WGS?) to run the playing side of the Club - the 'manager' will be primarily the first team coach.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, Magic Monkey said:

The Courier hasn't been that certain of an appointment since Jack Ross took over there :lol:

:lol: As I said... :lol:

Unless I'm mistaken, the Courier compiled a huge 'profile' piece on Jack Ross - they were that confident he would be taking the job. Daft sods.

Fake edit: found it. The mad twats.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/438584/analysis-dundee-target-jack-ross-paul-hartley-mk-ii/

7 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Which would be the same scenario if he was ever approached to take over at Saints. 

Perhaps. I would reckon that is up for debate depending on the exact job descriptions. As far as I am aware Gus is more of a Chief scout / continuity whereas WGS would allegedly be overseeing the complete football side of the club ie first team, youth development, Academy etc.

• 4 months later...
37 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Standard template for post match interviews;

Jimbo: What do you think of that Gaffer?

Manager: Answers the question

Jimbo: Asks a question about the exact point the manager just made.

Manager: Looks surprised at being asked about a point he thought he just made. Repeats answer, adds in another topic.

Jimbo: Asks a question about the exact point the manager just made.

Manager: Looks surprised at being asked about a point he thought he just made. Repeats answer, adds in another topic.

Jimbo: Aren't the fans great?

Manager: Aye, the fans are great.

Jimbo: Cheers gaffer.

Manager: Top man Jimbo.

“How important is...?”

“How important do you think is...?”

“How important is...?”

“And how  important is...?”

Forensic questioning, bifuc!

I’m all for odd open-ended questions to see where that might go and let the person being questioned let something interesting slip out, by accident  - but if that is your sole line of “questioning”, you need to have someone who knows how to do the job to help you out.

Just ask someone, Jimbo!

...but don’t ask, “How important is it that you don’t always ask, “How important is...?”

Standard template for post match interviews;
Jimbo: What do you think of that Gaffer?
Manager: Answers the question
Jimbo: Asks a question about the exact point the manager just made.
Jimbo: Aren't the fans great?
Manager: Aye, the fans are great.
Jimbo: Cheers gaffer.
Manager: Top man Jimbo.

Don't you just love it when interviewers don't listen to answers and react, but instead stick to the pre prepared script that's now meaningless?

“How important is...?”
“How important do you think is...?”
“How important is...?”
“And how  important is...?”
Forensic questioning, bifuc!
I’m all for odd open-ended questions to see where that might go and let the person being questioned let something interesting slip out, by accident  - but if that is your sole line of “questioning”, you need to have someone who knows how to do the job to help you out.
Just ask someone, Jimbo!
...but don’t ask, “How important is it that you don’t always ask, “How important is...?”
When it was Jack Ross every question started with 'How pleasing is ....'

Interesting looking back at Goody's quotes/philosophy coming into the job, and how we look today.
He made specific mention of combining experience with our home grown youth as "The way to go"...
Again on Saturday there is only one not so young/inexperienced home grown player in the squad who doesn't get a game!
Thoughts...

25 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Interesting looking back at Goody's quotes/philosophy coming into the job, and how we look today.
He made specific mention of combining experience with our home grown youth as "The way to go"...
Again on Saturday there is only one not so young/inexperienced home grown player in the squad who doesn't get a game!
Thoughts...

The guy is in defensive mentality mode - we are not winning, so he picked experienced players as inexperienced players are more likely to let you down - just like the DJORK did against Well by sending a misplaced pass to the Motherwell striker for their 2nd goal..

Do you know nothing about professional football or professional football management - (RHETORICAL - just in case you are not sure) :hammer

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thoughts...

Throw the boys on. 

Come back soon Cookie. 

Edited by pod

4 minutes ago, pod said:

Throw the boys on. 

Come back soon Cookie. 

In some ways this is the opposite to what I said earlier, but there are younger players who should get some game time. MacPherson being the main one for me. I think he can play the midfield role well and is not afraid to look for a goal too. He scored a cracker previously and had a number of pops at goal on target in his few 1st team games.

IT seems Erhahon has fallen out of favour too - he is not a great LB but he is not the worst in LM - he also can add more in an attacking sense.

I do like Cooke, but he has missed a lot of games through injury and although he clearly knows where the back of the net is, he hasn't done it a whole lot YET. I know he will need the opportunities to do that, but I fear that expectations of him suddenly becoming prolific are likely to be unfair. If fans and the management can give him time, and he can stay fit, surely he will get some goals for us?

Beyond these 3 I think it is too soon for others - though some may argue that Breadner has speed and an eye for a goal, albeit at a lower level...