Goodwin added: “I was absolutely gutted to be leaving St Mirren. It was an honour to play there for five and a half years and the fans were absolutely fantastic with me. Hopefully I will get the chance to go back and play there if I can, but it will be strange not turning up for pre-season at Ralston this year.

Good luck gentleman JIM.

As always, Jim was great on the wireless.

Class act, so he is!

That was really decent on Radio Scotland on Saturday...............they both spoke really well imo

I thought both Jim Goodwin and Craig Brown made a lot of sense on that programme, in particular around the playing of younger squad members in the first team. Interesting that Jim suggested any kid of his looking to get on in the game would go to a lesser team , and play football, instead of being stuck in an Academy until he was twenty and still not get a game in the first team !!

They were also strong on the hammering home the point about Scotland's piss poor football faciilities and access to those in comparison to almost every other European, UEFA affiliated country.

No wonder the likes of Albania and Iceland, with all due resepct and with the likes of the progressive Croatia are leaving us miles behind in football terms.

That was really decent on Radio Scotland on Saturday...............they both spoke really well imo

I thought both Jim Goodwin and Craig Brown made a lot of sense on that programme, in particular around the playing of younger squad members in the first team. Interesting that Jim suggested any kid of his looking to get on in the game would go to a lesser team , and play football, instead of being stuck in an Academy until he was twenty and still not get a game in the first team !!

They were also strong on the hammering home the point about Scotland's piss poor football faciilities and access to those in comparison to almost every other European, UEFA affiliated country.

No wonder the likes of Albania and Iceland, with all due resepct and with the likes of the progressive Croatia are leaving us miles behind in football terms.

Are they. I'm just wondering who was in Scotland's qualifying group ?

Are they. I'm just wondering who was in Scotland's qualifying group ?

It was Germany and Poland amongst others , like the Eire cloggers and erm, Georgia and Gibraltar, so pretty damning really.........couldn't even make a play off for what that would have no worth. Point duly made I reckon.

My post was about observations on football facilities and the structure of the game. It's not about qualifying from a group, it's an observation on the rise of so called smaller nations, whilst we fiddle and fidget round in the hallowed hampden halls.

If you turn your point around, each of the groups that Albania , Iceland and Croatia qualified from ,well I'd bet Scotland would have majorly struggled to overcome Denmark, the Netherlands and Turkey, Norway and Bulgaria et al. Anyway, completely irrelevant.

IMO Goodwin and Brown both correctly opined that Iceland and Croatia for example have majorly invested and reconstructed their whole approach to national football. This is something Scotland drastically require to do, but , they come up against too many vested interests that simply force short termism on the game here. These constraints will continue to see ourNational team suffer, whilst other national teams see their stock rise in conjunction with their aligned plans.

I look at the team's of Albania, Iceland , Croatia, they are undeniably impressive. I see technically proficient, speedy and strong players. They are quick and very strong in the tackle, they are very well organised and are undoubtedly gaining from the benefits of a National plan.

Our lot by comparison are turgid, inflexible and are a one player one position type of model, whereas the players from a lot of other European teams would look comfortable in many positions within a team. Presently , we just don't have that. We need to reinvent the model for the national team, we are miles away from producing players that can grace the likes of the Euros.

On point, Goodwin , good guy. Articulate, knows a thing if two about the game, IMO worthy of listening to.

It was Germany and Poland amongst others , like the Eire cloggers and erm, Georgia and Gibraltar, so pretty damning really.........couldn't even make a play off for what that would have no worth. Point duly made I reckon.

My post was about observations on football facilities and the structure of the game. It's not about qualifying from a group, it's an observation on the rise of so called smaller nations, whilst we fiddle and fidget round in the hallowed hampden halls.

If you turn your point around, each of the groups that Albania , Iceland and Croatia qualified from ,well I'd bet Scotland would have majorly struggled to overcome Denmark, the Netherlands and Turkey, Norway and Bulgaria et al. Anyway, completely irrelevant.

IMO Goodwin and Brown both correctly opined that Iceland and Croatia for example have majorly invested and reconstructed their whole approach to national football. This is something Scotland drastically require to do, but , they come up against too many vested interests that simply force short termism on the game here. These constraints will continue to see ourNational team suffer, whilst other national teams see their stock rise in conjunction with their aligned plans.

I look at the team's of Albania, Iceland , Croatia, they are undeniably impressive. I see technically proficient, speedy and strong players. They are quick and very strong in the tackle, they are very well organised and are undoubtedly gaining from the benefits of a National plan.

Our lot by comparison are turgid, inflexible and are a one player one position type of model, whereas the players from a lot of other European teams would look comfortable in many positions within a team. Presently , we just don't have that. We need to reinvent the model for the national team, we are miles away from producing players that can grace the likes of the Euros.

On point, Goodwin , good guy. Articulate, knows a thing if two about the game, IMO worthy of listening to.

What changes did they say was needed. We may not be at the finals but I would say we are better than Northern Ireland would not say Southern Ireland are way ahead of us. If you think I land are better than us then I can't agree with you. Agree things are not great but they are not as bad as you and the toilet roll tabloids make out.

What changes did they say was needed. We may not be at the finals but I would say we are better than Northern Ireland would not say Southern Ireland are way ahead of us. If you think Iceland are better than us then I can't agree with you. Agree things are not great but they are not as bad as you and the toilet roll tabloids make out.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A gent.

Absolutely.

We've decided to support Jim's boys on Saturday. A wee trip to Alloa for My grandson, missus and me. The wee yin, (grandson, not wife :D ), has Jim's signed teeshirt hanging in his bedroom so he's up for the trip. Will be phoning the club tomorrow to make sure it's not a wasted journey.

COYW!

Edited by stlucifer