St Mirren Squad 2016/17

Simon lappin been released by fakes and Sutton available for transfer I'd take both them back

No way would I take either of these 2 back. Lappin has lost any pace he did have and Sutton would not be suitable for us, its grafters we need and players that are going to show some commitment to the club. Sutton is neither.

No way would I take either of these 2 back. Lappin has lost any pace he did have and Sutton would not be suitable for us, its grafters we need and players that are going to show some commitment to the club. Sutton is neither.

That seems a pretty unreasonable charge to level at Sutton. What are you basing it on?

I'm ambivalent about signing either or both of them for the simple reason that I've not seen any of the games that they have played last season, however if AR has had a look at them and has decided that they would fit into the style that he want's to play then I would not have a problem with it.

We need a guy who puts the ball in the net 20 times a season more than anything. Whether that guy is mobile or imobile, a grafter or a lazy sod is all irrelevant if he can provide a min 20 goals a season. I'm not saying Sutton is that player but that's what we need more than "grafters"

Lappins game was never based on pace, don't remember him ever beating a man once, his game was quality early crosses into the box. There's a StJ's fan opinion on them both.

Sutton is under contract, but he is free to leave/go on loan if anyone wants him. He only played something like 900 minutes of football with us (4 starts in amongst that) and scored once. He just didn't suit our style of play, but I'm certain he'd do a job for someone if he's given a proper run in the team and the manager is willing to play to his strengths.

Lappin would be a good signing for any bottom six side, and would be excellent for St Mirren at their current level IMO. He's a decent option in the middle and can still play on the left, although I think he's lost whatever pace he once had. His deliveries from wide are still excellent though, as are his set plays.

Doubt you'd be getting the 2006 versions back, but they would both be top signings for a championship campaign.

We should at least be making enquiries about them both. The left midfield area has been a weak spot for us for a good few years now.

Bring in Sutton on a month by month contract. If I remember rightly he always looked more interested and played better around contract negotiations time.

Sutton was only with us for 2 seasons - on a 2 year contract.

He scored 11 league goals with us in this second season - the majority coming in the first half of the season.

Indeed, he ended up on the subs bench on a number of occasions on the run in towards "contract negotiations time".

That was the woosh... I think?

You`re really not very good at this are you ?

I admit that i wasn`t sure who McAllister was & sought clarification . Whats to whoosh there ?

He started "several games" for us on the wing you say ? By several , i take it you mean 2. ( well thats all i could find as he seems not be included in the OS stats) so i`m sure you may forgive my total ignorance of this great of the game .

Finally ,Kyle McAllister is NOT listed on the St.Mirren website as a registered first team player with St.Mirren Football Club for the season ahead 2016-17.

I would like a full & unreserved rescinding of my whoosh if you please . whistling.gif

ETA , "First team" into post

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Irvine and Stewart both play left back. Or are you trying to woooosh me here? smile.png

Irvine is a right back or right mid . He was brought in as cover for Naismiths injury .

Stewart is listed as a midfielder , as I recall he did play a couple of times at full back ( again , RB I think ?? ) & was roundly slagged for being like a fish out of water

No whoosh attempted bud ,simply set out the teams based on the positions the OS & wiki have stated these players play

ETA . I`ll correct the info about Stewart , he IS listed on the OS as a defender , i was looking at the First team squad to see who we have for the season where he obv is not listed.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Irvine is a right back or right mid . He was brought in as cover for Naismiths injury .

Stewart is listed as a midfielder , as I recall he did play a couple of times at full back ( again , RB I think ) & was roundly slagged for being like a fish out of water

No whoosh attempted bud ,simply set out the teams based on the positions the OS & wiki have stated these players play

Wasn't Watson brought in for cover for Naismith?

Stewart is listed as a midfielder , as I recall he did play a couple of times at full back ( again , RB I think ?? ) & was roundly slagged for being like a fish out of water

ETA . I`ll correct the info about Stewart , he IS listed on the OS as a defender , i was looking at the First team squad to see who we have for the season where he obv is not listed.

Stewart played at left back under Murray and then played a bit further forward in the couple of games Rae played him but he has played most of his games as a left back for us. And Irvine has played virtually all his games at left back for us (except in a couple of games when Watson was not available) smile.png

Edit to add: Maybe you are thinking about Cuddihy who played right back once and was very poor maybe because he did not play in that position. Stewart has never featured at right back for us - not in any game I have seen anyway.

Edited by Sonny