Promotion In Season 2016/17

This must be the aim for next season. I don't want any of the reaching the play offs is progress nonsense. This season has been a failure but it could have been worse! I'm hoping that Rae will make us the fittest team in the championship and our 2016/17 campaign starts now. Forget when the pre season starts, we must get all our work done early as far as recruiting new players goes and then have a really good pre season with the majority of the squad already in place. Last season was the opposite and we never recovered until Murray got the boot, we must hit the ground running right from the start this time. Rae has done well in a short space of time and with more of his choice of player in place i think winning the league is a real possibility and should be what we aim for.

This must be the aim for next season. I don't want any of the reaching the play offs is progress nonsense. This season has been a failure but it could have been worse! I'm hoping that Rae will make us the fittest team in the championship and our 2016/17 campaign starts now. Forget when the pre season starts, we must get all our work done early as far as recruiting new players goes and then have a really good pre season with the majority of the squad already in place. Last season was the opposite and we never recovered until Murray got the boot, we must hit the ground running right from the start this time. Rae has done well in a short space of time and with more of his choice of player in place i think winning the league is a real possibility and should be what we aim for.

The Thommo legend said the same in his final interview. He was saying we should start the season believing we can win it not flaff about hoping for a top 4 finish.

I think we could be a vastly improved side next season under Rae and Farrell. Given the opportunity to introduce their own choice of recruits that will suit Alex Rae's style of play I am optimistic that we may have a highly competitive team and perhaps we could look forward to an enjoyable 2016-17 season.

Promotion ? Optimistic. That's a big ask when you consider the other teams that we are likely be up against. Top 4 may be a realistic target and take it from there. I would expect us to be 20-1 outsiders or bigger. I might be tempted if I see 50-1 available.

Edited by Wilbur

I don't think Rae will accept any less, he'll want to win the league next year even if he's not saying that.

Yes we all want promotion though I am not one who will demand we win the league and if not will cancel my SIMISA subscription. I can see Hibs staying in the league now we know Dundee UNT are relegated maybe Killie also. You are demanding nothing less than straight promotion LOL Hope I am wrong but I think Saints will spend at least 7 years in the championship.

We finished 20 points behind 4th placed Raith Rovers this year and won't be able to count on 10 points against Alloa next year... almost 30 points behind Falkirk this year and in losing Watson, Goodwin, Shankland for certain and possibly Mallan in close season we could also start next season's campaign without our few decent players this year!

Incremental steps I'm afraid. At the start of this season, given the state if the team, I believed we would finish 5, 6 or 7th. This proved to be correct and was actually a bonus given the catastrophic first half to the season.

Given the major overhaul to the squad that AR and DF will have to carry out over the Summer, automatic promotion is a huge ask.

A play-off spot would be success but I feel we'll finish mid-table again...although much comfortably this time.

I felt it would take about 5 seasons to rebuild the club and team and I've seen nothing to change my opinion.

Mind you, hope the management team prove me wrong!

Raith started with nearly a complete new squad this season and every club had a huge turnover of players so I do not buy into incremental improvement. It is all down to getting the right players in, a good pre-season and hitting the ground running. Do that and we have as much chance as anyone else.

Raith started with nearly a complete new squad this season and every club had a huge turnover of players so I do not buy into incremental improvement. It is all down to getting the right players in, a good pre-season and hitting the ground running. Do that and we have as much chance as anyone else.

But Raith were as poor as us for the first two rounds of matches, then finished a distant fourth. We finished seven! Wins behind them, and will lose 10-12 of the current squad.

Of course it can be done, but Rae is already starting behind the pack in recruitment. I would be realistic in insiting we aim to win the league,but lets see where we are after recruitment is complete and we've played one round of games to see if its reasonably possible.

Think Hibs will stil be here next season, and they have already spent big so perhaps they are as good as they are going to be? Dundee Utd will have a big clearout so start much like us, ditto Killie if they drop... So anything is possible if Rae can put together a good squad.

It won't be tougher to win.the league this year coming. Rangers with an budget 10 times ours won't be there and potentially hibs might not either. Even if they are they are not as consistent as rangers were. Falkirk will possibly lose players and rebuild whilst the same applies to Dundee United and Raith. we won't have a terrible management team and our budget should still allow Alex to assemble a decent side. I don't get why mid table would be acceptable again? Are we not a bigger side than morton, Queens etc. Are dundee United likely to be that good? Should we fear Falkirk or Raith? A summer spent recruiting good solid players will be crucial. If Alex rae manages this he would have a good chance of having a very positive season next year

Edited by norrie82

next season will be tougher to win the league than it was this year

So many clubs will think they have a chance and also that their survival depends on it

I'm not saying we can't prevail, but it will be tougher than this year

Agreed it will be tough next year, however the winner could also have a lower total than normal, with Us, Dundee Utd, Hibs, Falkirk and Killie (whoever comes/stays down) all able to beat each other.

A lot of decent points from various posters on our chances next year. If we can sort out our home form over a whole season then I have no

doubt we will make the play offs as a minimum.

From what I have seen of the current Management duo's efforts so far, I have confidence they will get things right

Edited by thomsons dropped it

But Raith were as poor as us for the first two rounds of matches, then finished a distant fourth. We finished seven! Wins behind them, and will lose 10-12 of the current squad.

Of course it can be done, but Rae is already starting behind the pack in recruitment. I would be realistic in insiting we aim to win the league,but lets see where we are after recruitment is complete and we've played one round of games to see if its reasonably possible.

Think Hibs will stil be here next season, and they have already spent big so perhaps they are as good as they are going to be? Dundee Utd will have a big clearout so start much like us, ditto Killie if they drop... So anything is possible if Rae can put together a good squad.

We finished 6th.

Don’t buy this we are behind everyone in our planning.

Dumbarton – Part Time and only safe a week after we were.

Dundee Utd – Only relegated last night and will be looking to downsize.

Dunfermline – Granted

Morton- Granted but with much lower budget

QOS - Granted but with much lower budget

*Falkirk/Hibs/Raith (2 of these) – Still don’t know what division to plan for

*Kilmarnock/Hamilton/Thistle – Still don’t know what division to plan for

*Livingston/Ayr/Peterhead//Stranraer – Still don’t know what division to plan for

We may have wanted to be further on but we are not behind most of the league even at this stage. Do remember that dependent on the playoff outcomes, and the fact that some managers will no doubt change, there will be a lot of “Premier League” players cut adrift.

Also any loans (perhaps Shankland back? – Aberdeen are looking to sign Simon Church) won’t happen until the merry go round stops.

Let’s just do the best business possible & move onwards & upwards