Promotion In Season 2016/17

We finished 5th in 98/99 miles behind the eventual winners Hibs.

Next year could be another unexpected and glorious season like 99/00.

COYS

Yep and like that season the signs are promising that he can get us playing. It all depends on getting in the right players because he'll get them fit easy enough.

Before last night's first play off match, Raith had won 7 and drawn 3 in their last 10 games. They are now u to 8 wins in 11 games. I would not be surprised if they knock Hibs and Falkirk out of the play offs... Hibs have won 4 games in their last 11 league games and Falkirk have had lots of draws and only have 3 wins in their last 10 games. Added to that Raith are hard to beat if they get in front.

Where does this leave St Mirren next year? I think we will have a Championship where Hibs, Falkirk, Dundee United, and Kilmarnock or Raith Rovers plus Dunfermline will be competing with us. I would imagine that Hibs, Falkirk and Raith and Dunfermline may be able to retain the nucleus of their squads will we have a big rebuild job on our hands. Even if Rae recruits well in the summer there has been a big gulf between us and this season's top 4 and it will be a challenge to move from 20 points off 4th play off this season to grabbing a play off place next year.

Before last night's first play off match, Raith had won 7 and drawn 3 in their last 10 games. They are now u to 8 wins in 11 games. I would not be surprised if they knock Hibs and Falkirk out of the play offs... Hibs have won 4 games in their last 11 league games and Falkirk have had lots of draws and only have 3 wins in their last 10 games. Added to that Raith are hard to beat if they get in front.

Where does this leave St Mirren next year? I think we will have a Championship where Hibs, Falkirk, Dundee United, and Kilmarnock or Raith Rovers plus Dunfermline will be competing with us. I would imagine that Hibs, Falkirk and Raith and Dunfermline may be able to retain the nucleus of their squads will we have a big rebuild job on our hands. Even if Rae recruits well in the summer there has been a big gulf between us and this season's top 4 and it will be a challenge to move from 20 points off 4th play off this season to grabbing a play off place next year.

Raith started this season with a completely new squad and have done well. We could do the same.

Raith started this season with a completely new squad and have done well. We could do the same.

Exactly. Raith had a completely new squad and manager in the summer and made the playoffs. There's no reason why we can't do that.

If Hibs don't go up there will be major cut backs at Easter Road in the summer.

Most teams in this league have a large turnover of players in the summer, we will be no different.

Edited by TopCat

Top 4

Don’t buy this we are behind everyone in our planning.

Dumbarton – Part Time and only safe a week after we were.

Dundee Utd – Only relegated last night and will be looking to downsize.

Dunfermline – Granted

Morton- Granted but with much lower budget

QOS - Granted but with much lower budget

*Falkirk/Hibs/Raith (2 of these) – Still don’t know what division to plan for

*Kilmarnock/Hamilton/Thistle – Still don’t know what division to plan for

*Livingston/Ayr/Peterhead//Stranraer – Still don’t know what division to plan for

We may have wanted to be further on but we are not behind most of the league even at this stage. Do remember that dependent on the playoff outcomes, and the fact that some managers will no doubt change, there will be a lot of “Premier League” players cut adrift.

Also any loans (perhaps Shankland back? – Aberdeen are looking to sign Simon Church) won’t happen until the merry go round stops.

Let’s just do the best business possible & move onwards & upwards

Good shout radar. As you said, 2nd-4th do not know what league they are planning for next season and Morton and QOTS will have less pulling power than us i would imagine.

My first job would to ask where Shanklands future is at Aberdeen then try and get another years loan deal on the go if possible.

FFS

What a novel

Away and have a lie down.

COYS

Just get f**king intae them.

Tell you what, it is going to be a competitive league with decent crowds.

Is this realistic? Answer of course it is ,but, and its a big but- recruitment, and getting a harmony. Of course we now have the Leicester scenario, and lets be honest the bookies are daft, because Leicester got 22 points out of last 9 games last season.

Under Rae we have shown top four form and he has still played diddies that he had to.

I think after last nights result, what ever you think will happen in the play offs the opposite will happen, but that reckoning Raith are up and Hamilton down.

Dundee Utd do not concern me, they are rank, and how bad we were in 2015 , they are far worse. I love SOG and our BOD over that muppet of a Chairman.

Hibs don't concern me- they flatter , chips down they crash

Ton will lose their best players and I think will really struggle next term, however they do have a fighting manager.

Pars- Cmon, they are not the pars of old, League One is pretty awful. miles behind Championship.

Sons- They do well but they wont do better no concern

Ok who does concern me- Raith if they keep McKinnon and stay in League

OR Falkirk- For me the team of the year. Great manager, great young Scottish talent and a supportive Board- ,My favs.

And us- Good Manager, needs to rebuild, and that will be tough but I have faith in him and Farrell.

So get down the Bookies. I reckon Saints will finish 3 rd next season behind Falkirk if the stay down and Hibs.

Personally I think Killie will stay up.

But then again I thought Chelsea would walk the EPL!!!!

Dundee United will have a new manager, vastly different squad and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a push from the fans to get a new chairman. I'd be surprised if they are worse than mid-table.

Hibs will be decent, they've had 2 cup runs that have taken them to the finals of the League Cup and Scottish Cup this year and are in the play offs again, so I would expect they have done better than expected financially this year.

Falkirk - will be strong again next season'

Dunfermline... I wouldn't expect them to come up and challenge for promotion or the play offs but there is no reason why they can't do what Morton did this season and achieve mid-table mediocrity. I do fancy them to be better than Alloa / Livingston / Dumbarton were this season.

Queen of the South will have a new management team for next season... finishing 7th wasn't deemed good enough for them this season.

I don't think there will be any run away winners next year and reckon it could be a lot tighter from 1st to 6th than it has been over the last couple of Championship seasons.

I prefer to save my scepticism for the close season and my optimism for when the football season is back under way rather than get carried away in the close season before a ball is kicked and then come September feel the world has ended after it transpires Tommy Craig's Black & White Army / Iain Murray's Black & White Army have already decided the manager needs replaced and has wasted this season's budget on duffers.

The parameters are simple. Rae must get us in the playoffs.

For me, there's almost no chance we will win the league. I appreciate the optimism and the Leicester anecdotes, however a rational examination dictates the best we can hope for is 2nd. Which would be a success.

It should be like this: If we are in a relegation battle at Christmas (ala Murray) he should be punted.

As long as he's in playoff contention, he's kept on. If we make the playoffs or better, new deal. If we don't make the playoffs, no new deal.

For example, if we finish 4th and lose over two legs against 3rd... Rae should get the next season. If we finish 5th... He should leave next May. Slim margins I know... But fair enough in my opinion.

I think we will finish 3rd, beat 4th over two legs and then lose in the second playoff against 2nd. I then think we will win the league under Rae in 17/18... Boom!

Edited by TopCat

The parameters are simple. Rae must get us in the playoffs.

For me, there's almost no chance we will win the league. I appreciate the optimism and the Leicester anecdotes, however a rational examination dictates the best we can hope for is 2nd. Which would be a success.

It should be like this: If we are in a relegation battle at Christmas (ala Murray) he should be punted.

As long as he's in playoff contention, he's kept on. If we make the playoffs or better, new deal. If we don't make the playoffs, no new deal.

For example, if we finish 4th and lose over two legs against 3rd... Rae should get the next season. If we finish 5th... He should leave next May. Slim margins I know... But fair enough in my opinion.

I think we will finish 3rd, beat 4th over two legs and then lose in the second playoff against 2nd. I then think we will win the league under Rae in 17/18... Boom!

You worked that out without knowing our squad, the strength of opposition, all the participants in the league and other factors such as injuries, teams possibly losing quality in the summer transfer market? I will wait to see who is brought in and first quarter to see how the team perform and strength of opposition. You may be right but far too early to speculate without all the necessary information IMHO.

Let's hope this thread has more success than the last one Dr Rotund started. The infamous... ' Ian Murray Will Come Good ' thread.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/40432-ian-murray-will-come-good/

I wasn't the only one. The difference here is that Rae knows what he's doing. No-one could have known that Murray would be quite as shit as he was.

• 1 month later...