Signing This Week?

div

• 3 months later...

St.mirren need a midfielder badly. I am v surprised that the manager has failed to replace Jim Goodwin. I hope I'm wrong but I think this is potentially dangerous and with little cover in midfield I think this is going to cost us. Last season we had two points from four games and here we are again. It's simply a shocking start from us. Midfield is hurting us yet the management seem happy to let the window close without trying to get someone in even if only until January.

I don't think the number of forwards we have is really a problem to be honest. We have four decent strikers, but we're playing two up front every week so if one of those four is injured or suspended we will only have one on the bench and generally speaking I always feel it's good to have a fresh striker coming on later in a match.

The squad is imbalanced but for me that imbalance is at the back.

We have five players capable of playing Centre Half in Gordon, Webster, Baird, MacKenzie and Naismith.

Whilst it's fair to say that Jason is primarily a right back that's still too many IMO and we'd have been better going with one fewer there to allow for one more central defensive midfielder.

I think the plan was probably to go with two of Baird, Webster or Gordon for the season, but McKenzie became available and Rae clearly felt he was too good to pass on, which, going by his age and the level he's played at, is hard to argue with.

I thought the next move might have been to allow Baird to go out on loan for the season. I like him, but if we have all 4 fit, 2 are going to miss out every week. Webster's place is nailed on under Rae and you're not going to release or loan out one of our 2 new signings, therefore loaning out Baird would have been the only way to try and get them all some game time.

2 hours ago, div said:

I don't think the number of forwards we have is really a problem to be honest. We have four decent strikers, but we're playing two up front every week so if one of those four is injured or suspended we will only have one on the bench and generally speaking I always feel it's good to have a fresh striker coming on later in a match.

The squad is imbalanced but for me that imbalance is at the back.

We have five players capable of playing Centre Half in Gordon, Webster, Baird, MacKenzie and Naismith.

Whilst it's fair to say that Jason is primarily a right back that's still too many IMO and we'd have been better going with one fewer there to allow for one more central defensive midfielder.

Mackenzie seemed like a luxury proposition when we had already filled that position, though Rae thought he was too good to turn up a chance of signing. Currently, it has came back to bite him in the arse.