Cult Fillums

Primer, an absolute head-f**k of a time travel movie.

Only 80 minutes long, there's a 20 minute youtube video explaining it.

Mentioned this movie on here before - love it. Watched it ten times, still get something new from watching it. Made on a budget of thruppence ha'penny and a half-chewed Bazooka Joe.....

Can't see that being a cult fillum. Closet door opens, man steps out, the end. No chance.

Who is that man, I want to know about that him - his past present and future?

And every closet is a potential Narnia I want to know more about it's size, style and contents - (50 pairs of red stilettos transforming into dead donkeys in a homage to Buñuel) the man thinks back to his younger self the clothes he used to wear - he sees items kept and treasured has flashbacks in black & white to who he used to be and what has made him the man he now is.

He emerges from the closet an anguished man in a grey business suit then a fantasy sequence accompanied by Judy Garland singing - the man dons some gay attire, the chorus swells, he reaches the room door, the music changes to an orchestra, there's a party outside - does he leave the room and embrace his new self or go back into the closet and his grey world. Does it end in laughter or tears?

In fact it's the perfect Arthouse fillum, and don't get me started on the Director's Cut with it's post-apocalyptic zombie scenes..........

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 months later...
On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:46 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Another two I'd recommend are -

They've remade Goodbye Pork Pie - which is a worry as I'll feel obliged to chase a copy down and if it isn't as good will I still feel the same about the original?

Who are they and why can't they make something original?

I don't think I like they!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4834220/?ref_=rvi_tt

• 1 year later...
On 10 May 2016 at 10:55 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Who is that man, I want to know about that him - his past present and future?

And every closet is a potential Narnia I want to know more about it's size, style and contents - (50 pairs of red stilettos transforming into dead donkeys in a homage to Buñuel) the man thinks back to his younger self the clothes he used to wear - he sees items kept and treasured has flashbacks in black & white to who he used to be and what has made him the man he now is.

He emerges from the closet an anguished man in a grey business suit then a fantasy sequence accompanied by Judy Garland singing - the man dons some gay attire, the chorus swells, he reaches the room door, the music changes to an orchestra, there's a party outside - does he leave the room and embrace his new self or go back into the closet and his grey world. Does it end in laughter or tears?

In fact it's the perfect Arthouse fillum, and don't get me started on the Director's Cut with it's post-apocalyptic zombie scenes..........

The bit about the closet reminded me of About Time which I watched quite recently . I liked it because it was quirky and had time travel in it which is always entertaining . I don't know that it would be a cult classic though as it seemed fairly mainstream but entertaining at the same time. .

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:54 AM, BaldyOzBud said:

"What we do in the shadows" by the kiwi makers of " Flight of the Conchords", a reality TV style mockumentary about Vampires sharing a house in Wellington NZ, it's absolutely brilliant!

On BBC IPlayer for the next 28 days ;-)

At the time of it's release , l thought The Shinning was a mainstream movie per the amount of folk that went to see it . I imagine that it has developed into a cult movie over the years . .

l remember back in the 9ts , that anytime The Shinning was shown on the telly it would be the subject of discussion the next day at work and it was always interesting to hear the different theories then. .

On this day in  1979 , Quadrophenia was released. .now there is a cult movie. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime
edited by Tom and MGM for historical accuracy. .

21 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I'm watching a documentary about a cult film.

Room 237 has some pretty wacky theories about The Shining.

Unused footage from The Shining was used to provide a happy ending for the original cinema version of Blade Runner.

14 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

At the time of it's release , l thought The Shinning was a mainstream movie per the amount of folk that went to see it . I imagine that it has developed into a cult movie over the years . .

l remember back in the 9ts , that anytime The Shinning was shown on the telly it would be the subject of discussion the next day at work and it was always interesting to hear the different theories then. .

On this day in  1979 , Quadrophenia was released. .now there is a cult movie. .

I've been in the Brighton Alley where Phil Daniels got it on with Leslie Ash.

45 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Unused footage from The Shining was used to provide a happy ending for the original cinema version of Blade Runner.

I've been in the Brighton Alley where Phil Daniels got it on with Leslie Ash.

Yeah , l know other guys that have been there and they mentioned just how small the area actually is . Apparently , the area is now the back of a Chinese , fast-food outlet. .

Ham Yard , home of the original Scene Club ,is also a bit of a disappointment . .

The bit about the Shinning footage in Blade Runner ; was that not mentioned in another thread ?

• 1 year later...

The comedy genius that is Chris Morris has a new fillum out next week!

Always funny without feeling the need to play it safe his new fillum is about the FBI framing an idealistic preacher on terrorism charges.

http://www.liveforfilm.com/2019/10/08/the-day-shall-come-chris-morris-talks-about-his-new-film/

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 months later...

Jojo Rabbit

A World War II satire that follows a lonely 10-y-o German boy named Jojo whose world view is turned upside down when he discovers his single mother is hiding a young Jewish girl in their attic. Aided only by his imaginary friend, a childish Adolf Hitler, Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.

Laughed, cried & thoroughly enjoyed it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2584384/

Edited by Bud the Baker

I Wisnae sure about this one.

i don’t like weans (in real life or in fillums) and this seemed too whimsy about serious stuff.  Difficult to pull off successfully.

your review makes me think we might now go see it

Going to david Copperfield next week - with an A Ianucci discussion afterwards.  Looks like fun.

3 minutes ago, antrin said:

i don’t like weans (in real life or in fillums) and this seemed too whimsy about serious stuff.  Difficult to pull off successfully.

Going to david Copperfield next week - with an A Ianucci discussion afterwards.  Looks like fun.

And that about sums you up, a shrivelled up soul who's clinging onto some sort of belief you still have something to contribute.

Should I let you out of the net you jumped into the other day? :lol:

On 1/8/2020 at 11:06 PM, antrin said:

My favourite oddball film of recent times was "The Death of Stalin" Hilarious.