Cult Fillums

Went along half-heartedly to see a wee British fillum this evening

Misbehaviour.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9148706/

about the birth of Women's Lib and the protests at the BobHope compered Miss World competition.

it was funny, interesting and I got a lot more emotionally involved in the stories than I thought I’d be.  :)

also the styles and gear clothing was fun to see. Imagine people ever dressing like that!

keira knightley and Jessie buckley  star...

• 2 months later...

Kubrick's The Shining has turned 40 - not initially a great success it coulda gone either way but has eventually come to be regarded as a classic. Featuring Jack Nicholson camping it up, the under-rated Shelly Duvall, Barry Norman (the first James Bond) @Eric Arthur Blair a pesky kid whose name I can't remember or be bothered looking up and late, great Scatman Crothers.

Many weird theories about the fillun have grown up over the years, my favourite one being the idea that Stanley Kubrick was hired by the US Government to fake the Apollo 11 moon landing and that The Shining is his confession of the hoax and believe it is littered with clues that prove his involvement.

For bonus points which Sci-fi classic used out-takes of The Shining and for double bonus points how does it relate to my job?

tumblr_movdnljqEM1qa70eyo1_500.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

50 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Kubrick's The Shining has turned 40 - not initially a great success it coulda gone either way but has eventually come to be regarded as a classic. Featuring Jack Nicholson camping it up, the under-rated Shelly Duvall, Barry Norman (the first James Bond) @Eric Arthur Blair a pesky kid whose name I can't remember or be bothered looking up and late, great Scatman Crothers.

Many weird theories about the fillun have grown up over the years, my favourite one being the idea that Stanley Kubrick was hired by the US Government to fake the Apollo 11 moon landing and that The Shining is his confession of the hoax and believe it is littered with clues that prove his involvement.

For bonus points which Sci-fi classic used out-takes of The Shining and for double bonus points how does it relate to my job?

Was it not Barry Nelson who played James Bond? I think Barry Norman wrote the theme tune, though, without checking, I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

No you're completely correct it was Barry Nelson who played both roles - I really should take a bit more care at times. :fishwallop  :lol:

I know. I checked with google. (ETA: After posting of course). Actually you can still see the TV version on youtube.

Edited by stlucifer

5 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

And why not?

6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
23 minutes ago, antrin said:
I’m no scrolling back.....but has David Niven been in this thread?

Ahhh, that's the name I was thinking off along with Peter Sellers. Wasn't there also a female?

There were 6 people pretending to be James Bond in that movie. David Niven was the "real" one. I think there was more than one female playing the part.

8 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I'm half way through my first Sunday shift in over 15 years. Let me have a wee bit of fun. emoji24.png

I have to admit that I initially was going to say, "five pretending to be and only David Niven playing being the "real" one". But I realised some pedant would pick up on it. I wasn't expecting it to be you though.🤣

Right, on a technicality, the third man (sic) to play Bond before Sean Connery was Bob Simmons...

Another name that may be unfamiliar to many readers, Bob Simmons portrayed James Bond in the same films as Sean Connery- just in a much more brief way. Simmons was Connery's stunt double and was used during the filming of the now-iconic gun barrel sequence. Nowadays the actor who plays Bond also portrays him in the gun barrel sequence, but because the sequence was designed to only feature Bond in profile, there was no need to use Connery himself in the scene. While it may be more of a technicality than anything else, Simmons can still add his name to the small list of men who have played Bond.

Right, on a technicality, the third man (sic) to play Bond before Sean Connery was Bob Simmons...
Another name that may be unfamiliar to many readers, Bob Simmons portrayed James Bond in the same films as Sean Connery- just in a much more brief way. Simmons was Connery's stunt double and was used during the filming of the now-iconic gun barrel sequence. Nowadays the actor who plays Bond also portrays him in the gun barrel sequence, but because the sequence was designed to only feature Bond in profile, there was no need to use Connery himself in the scene. While it may be more of a technicality than anything else, Simmons can still add his name to the small list of men who have played Bond.

Ah, the Horseshoe Bar and the two Millie Tant lookalikes.

31 minutes ago, antrin said:

I had to google Millie Tant.

I enjoyed what I found.  :)

Ta.

Yeah, me-ee-ee & Mister-Mister Orwell, Mr Orwell (Billy Paul) spent the aftermath of the CC defeat by Dundee Utd. getting drunk with a coupla butch lesbians - unlike Mr Orwell I got a sloppy kiss from each of them when we left for Central Station - following Saints always an adventure! :lol: 

Staying on the Sean Connery theme I know they're not really Cult Fillums but Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf in the LotR movies and the chance to take on Sharuman & Shauron. Not only that but he turned down a percentage of the gross which might have netted him $450M.

Other actors who missed out on big bucks by taking a flat fee include Donald Sutherland for Animal House, a genuine cult filum and possibly the first "gross out" comedy - unless of course you know better! :specs

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Kenneth Branagh directed eponymous fillum of Eoin Colfer's first Artemis Fowl novel is about to be released after a decade or so of "development hell" - the book series which began 5 years after the Harry Potter novels to which it will undoubtedly be compared - I read both series with my children back in the day and found Artemis far more interesting.

Artemis is not magical himself although he is acutely aware of magical characters and species, he is a far darker persona than HP more Batman than Superman - the books were described by the author as "Die Hard with faeries"!

There are 8 novels in the series so lotsa moolah to made, will they catch on? *

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/artemis-fowl-preview-does-kenneth-branaghs-sprite-fight-adaptation-have-the-magic-to-be-the-next-harry-potter/ar-BB15c4Yv?ocid=spartanntp

* Double checked before posting and found out there was a 9th novel released last year focussing on Beckett & Myles, younger twin siblings of Artemis.

Edited by Bud the Baker