Cult Fillums

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I see the Kenneth Branagh directed eponymous fillum of Eoin Colfer's first Artemis Fowl novel is about to be released after a decade or so of "development hell" - the book series which began 5 years after the Harry Potter novels to which it will undoubtedly be compared - I read both series with my children back in the day and found Artemis far more interesting.

Artemis is not magical himself although he is acutely aware of magical characters and species, he is a far darker persona than HP more Batman than Superman - the books were described by the author as "Die Hard with faeries"!

There are 8 novels in the series so lotsa moolah to made, will they catch on? *

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/artemis-fowl-preview-does-kenneth-branaghs-sprite-fight-adaptation-have-the-magic-to-be-the-next-harry-potter/ar-BB15c4Yv?ocid=spartanntp

* Double checked before posting and found out there was a 9th novel released last year focussing on Beckett & Myles, younger twin siblings of Artemis.

Looks good.

Never really liked the Harry Potter films for some reason.

Edited by FTOF

• 2 months later...

The English language remake (starring George Clooney) of Andrei Tarkovsky's  Solaris is on't telly this weekend - Sky TV/Sony Movies/Channel 320 - 6:55 Saturday night.

Basically it's about people going mad on a spaceship, and while none of us SF snobs will admit it's as good as the original, the script remains largely unchanged and it's made with a substantial budget well worth a watch if you want a change from Cowboys & Indians in space fodder I'd recommend it - having said all this the fillum was a flop at the Box Office.

Original https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/?ref_=tt_sims_tt

Remake https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/?ref_=rvi_tt

Edited by Bud the Baker

10 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Well down the list. Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway all superior.

Never been able to watch The Elephant Man - too sqeamish.

Never understood why WaH is relatively poorly regarded 

• Great cast including Hollywood royalty (Cage, Dern, Ladd & Rossellini) & fine supporting actors like Willem Dafoe, Harry Dean Stanton & my fave Freddie "Eyebrows" Jones - which all add to the, erm, gumbo that is a Lynch movie.
  • Good & varied soundtrack touching all bases from my birthday brother Elvis-P to Nazi Poster Boy Richard Strauss.
  • What can be more cinematographic than a road movie & part of Lynch's attraction is his commitment to the fillum/story.
  • An homage to The Wizard of Oz
  • You're correct BV is better but WaH is no turkey.
  • & who can resist a happy ending?

As I say it prob'ly suffers from being the follow up to BV but I likes it

6 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Nicholas Cage is being lined up to play the tiger king guy in movie adaptation. Seems made for that role from what I've read and heard about the real guy.

Hope It’s better than his performance in the remake of the Wicker man. Very poor indeed. 

4 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Hope It’s better than his performance in the remake of the Wicker man. Very poor indeed. 

I disagree.

His performance in that was amazing.  The energy!

He poured heart and soul into it,

Was on fire from the start, though he was pretty burned out by the final reel...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not really a fan of the Bond movie franchise, I haven't seen a Bond movie since the final, arthritic Roger Moore effort, A View to a Kill, but the decision to delay it's release has been the final straw for Cineworld which is "temporarily" closing all 127 or 128 cinemas in the UK. 

This will be a significant blow for the 5,500 employees whose jobs are currently under threat - I fear that not all the jobs/venues will re-open when we emerge from the other side of the Covid tunnel.

The world takeover by online giants will inevitably prosper...

Went to see...

“Capital in the Twenty first Century” last week.

A France\NZ attempt at making Thomas Picketty’s dense book on the subject accessible.

it’s kinda entertaining, loads of graphics, side jokes, eloquent talking heads. 
I was nudged for snoring at one point.

His book is about 600 pages.  His ideas are also big.

if you’ve read (or tried to) read the book, you’ll think the film is superficial, repeating the important reality that capital is accumulating in a few hands (or faceless corporations) and impoverishing the many... as it has before in history.

it doesn’t offer any of Picketty’s suggestions about how we can change or effect a better method to come into being.

so it’s a kinda superficial French/kiwi well-meaning cartoon.

i don’t think it’ll become Cult.

Edited by antrin

If you were a fan of Aaron Sorkin’s West Wing (Or even Money Ball, the Social Network, Steve Jobs....) then you’ll really enjoy The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Court room based, but also showing some of the police brutalities in Chicago, his dialogue and the story is energy is bloody brilliant.  I’d read a Lacklustre review in The Guardian after buying tickets so was a disappointed. (I like Sorkin).  The review must’ve been written by a teenager, wit no idea of the big thing about?  The film opens with Lyndon Johnson’s war drive that made Harold Wilson contemplate cosnscription and sending UK yoof over to Vietnam.  There were protests.
Here’s a verse from a song of the time...

“Lyndon Johnson told a nation

have no fear of escalation

I am trying everyone to please!

Though it isn’t really war

I’m sending 50,000 more

to help save Vietnam from Vietnamese...”

I don’t usually like  Sacha Baron Cohen, but he is a stand-out, here.   Eddie Redmayne and Mark Rylance are also part of a stellar cast.

Edited by antrin

And, last night, another less than perfect fillum.  
On the Rocks - a thing made for Bill Murray to be Bill Murray kinda showing off. 
VERY rich people with hardly anything to worry about, worrying a little till they reach an end point which shows there never was anything to worry about.

Slight was The Boss’s word for it.  And mine, too.

A pleasant enough hour and a bit, but slow.

Currently watching The Blue Dahlia featuring Alan Ladd & Veronica Lake which now carries a warning due to Jazz being played on a jukebox being referred to as "monkey music".

On a different note (sic) I love noir and this is one of my faves but just watching it must be the equivalent of smoking 3 cigarettes!

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely pishing down here in Ayr so I'm indoors watching a little noir gem The Captive City starring the improbably handsome John Forsythe on one of the minor Sky channels...:nerdy 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044476/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Like ALBIONSAINTs post above this is based on a true story....

Edited by Bud the Baker

Other movies seen during London Film Festival in the last few weeks:

Undine.  (German with subtitles)

Guy falls in love with problematic half-fish woman.  It's ... ok.  Based on a German myth..

Not really worth getting out of bed for.

Kajillionaire (US Independent)

Loopy daughter of loopy parents - poor white trash grifters - has her eyes opened to there maybe being a different way of living by a Mexican immigrant.

Fun, interesting and enjoyable.

Ammonite: UK

I had to see this as it's about a working class star - Mary Anning, a hero of mine.  She was probably the first paleontologist (She could never be recognised nor rightly rewarded due to being a woman and of the lower orders) to extract and understand fossil specimens from the cliffs where she lived at Lyme Regis.  She sold the stuff to tourists and collectors.  She discovered ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs...   dead interesting, eh?  :)

They've not managed to make a great gripping movie/story of this, despite it having wonderful (female ) actors.  They had to make up something, I guess - but didnae try hard enough and disappointed me.     It'll win BAFTA approval for the acting.  Better than just ok... just...

Nomadland: US

Produced and starring Frances McDormand (3 Billboards outside Ebbings...   Fargo and other good Coen stuff).

It's about the actual real community of poorish white (mainly) Americans and their itinerant lifestyle, following the seasons for work or warmth who live in their vans, dormobiles etc.  They meet, split and meet up... down the road again..

Apart from McDormand I think there's only one other actual actor - the rest are real people.  It' s beautifully filmed, interesting and sweeps you along.  Making that lifestyle APPEAR attractive but still showing some of its hardships. No great story development: though there kinda is one, it's slight.

McDormand could get another Oscar for this.

Well worth seeing.

43 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Billy, you may be interested in watching the remake done in 2015 which gets good rating of 7.7 in IMDb.

Stars include Ken Stott and Miranda Richardson.  Not seen it myself, but think I will add it to the list.

It is a good version too - David Thewlis plays role of The Inspector that Alistair Sim did in the 50s version. Although principally recognized as a comic actor Sim's serious work was often underrated.

Alastair-Sim.jpgalastair-sim.jpg

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...