Cult Fillums

On Film 4 tonight at 9.00pm

Shallow Grave.

Definitely a Cult Fillum!

Trainspotting's precursor by Danny Boyle. 

A thrilling and blackly amusing tale about (not particularly loveable )cool kids in a posh flat in the New Town of Embra.

Quite gripping at the time.   I loved it - cheaply made but it has claustrophobia as an extra character almost...

Rotten Tomatoes had yet to understand #cool# .  :)

Shallow Grave (1995) - Rotten Tomatoes

3 hours ago, antrin said:

On Film 4 tonight at 9.00pm

Shallow Grave.

Definitely a Cult Fillum!

Trainspotting's precursor by Danny Boyle. 

A thrilling and blackly amusing tale about (not particularly loveable )cool kids in a posh flat in the New Town of Embra.

Quite gripping at the time.   I loved it - cheaply made but it has claustrophobia as an extra character almost...

Rotten Tomatoes had yet to understand #cool# .  :)

Shallow Grave (1995) - Rotten Tomatoes

Yes, it is an excellent film. Wee gingey bawbag Colin McCredie is probably at the sleepless night stage at the prospect of the saintees winning on Sunday.

Well...  I never....! :lol:

an interesting factoid about Shallow Grave that I hadn’t known...

Locations in the film include:

(From Wiki.)

i didn’t watch shallow grave this evening.

wanted to catch up on something (from iPlayer) whose ideas sounded good...

2015’s Tomorrowland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrowland_(film)

it looked quite amazing in an unsurprisingly bland Disney way.  Great actors with little to actually act.

corny, but I stuck with it for the visuals, when I could have been more productively employed washing my hair...

a “good for young teens” movie, is my guess.

occasionally witty.

Edited by antrin

9 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The hospital was built most probably after you moved to Essex (now London).

Anyone who has walked down the long elevated corridors at the RAH would have recognised the location instantly.

I have never moved to Essex!

I’m a Londoner, remember?

(though Essex may soon be a temporary shift...)

“Anyone who has walked down the long elevated corridors at the RAH would have recognised the location instantly.”

I did a lot of that at the end of 2018.  :(

22 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The old hospital?

Doubt it.  :unsure:

That would then be the RAI

Infirmary.

I guess that's a word that has pejorative in some way or hurtful connotations and is thus no longer used...

ETA

I had to have a look...

"hospital is a building designed to diagnose and treat the sick, injured or dying usually has a staff of doctors and nurses to aid in the treatment of patients while infirmary is a place where sick or injured people are cared for, especially a small hospital; sickhouse."

So hospitals actively seek to get folk better, whist an infirmary just gives them a bed and a few meals but little proactive, positive care?

Edited by antrin

• 3 weeks later...

If Devil Girl From Mars (1954) is not a Cult Fillum then it should be.....

It's about an uptight, leather-clad female alien, armed with a ray gun and accompanied by a menacing robot who comes to Earth to collect Earth's men as breeding stock.

Devil Girl from Mars (1954) - IMDb

Featuring wur ain Sophie Stewart :oohlala as the Devil Girl & John Laurie, photo from his earlier days when he was a noted Shakesperean ackt-or...

faa014a577039eb755a4a2aba5aaf4c1.jpgJohn Laurie Picture

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, antrin said:

Nomadland: US

Produced and starring Frances McDormand (3 Billboards outside Ebbings...   Fargo and other good Coen stuff).

It's about the actual real community of poorish white (mainly) Americans and their itinerant lifestyle, following the seasons for work or warmth who live in their vans, dormobiles etc.  They meet, split and meet up... down the road again..

Apart from McDormand I think there's only one other actual actor - the rest are real people.  It' s beautifully filmed, interesting and sweeps you along.  Making that lifestyle APPEAR attractive but still showing some of its hardships. No great story development: though there kinda is one, it's slight.

McDormand could get another Oscar for this.

Well worth seeing.

This won a lot of stuff this evening at the BAFTAs.

I usually carp on about not knowing where a story’s going, what does our hero want, is it an interesting plot/storyline... and this fails on these - yet it is a movie that sticks around in the mind,

Well worthy of its BAFTAs.  :)

Edited by antrin

11 hours ago, antrin said:

This won a lot of stuff this evening at the BAFTAs.

I usually carp on about not knowing where a story’s going, what does our hero want, is it an interesting plot/storyline... and this fails on these - yet it is a movie that sticks around in the mind,

Well worthy of its BAFTAs.  :)

The Grapes of Wrath for a new millennium - makes me want to cry...:bairn

7 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

The Grapes of Wrath for a new millennium - makes me want to cry...:bairn

Aye, but....

Difference here is that Steinbeck had them chasing a goal - California and a new successful life (hopefully).

These poor buggers are just in ever-decreasing circles till their time runs out - or their money.

Or they hit another big bump (metaphorically, medically or mechanically) on the American Way.    :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, antrin said:

Nomadland: US

Produced and starring Frances McDormand (3 Billboards outside Ebbings...   Fargo and other good Coen stuff).

It's about the actual real community of poorish white (mainly) Americans and their itinerant lifestyle, following the seasons for work or warmth who live in their vans, dormobiles etc.  They meet, split and meet up... down the road again..

Apart from McDormand I think there's only one other actual actor - the rest are real people.  It' s beautifully filmed, interesting and sweeps you along.  Making that lifestyle APPEAR attractive but still showing some of its hardships. No great story development: though there kinda is one, it's slight.

McDormand could get another Oscar for this.

Well worth seeing.

Yup plus another two too...

Watched Neil Jordan's The Crying Deal and discovered this in the Goofs section of IMDB...:wacko:

Audio/visual unsynchronised 

In Balbriggan County, Dublin, a Northern Ireland Railways GM locomotive 113 passes in the background, pulling a passenger train. It makes the sound of a British Rail HST railcar set, which is quite different. The sound effect is also too short; most of the train passes silently.

Would it be too corny to suggest that "two too" would also be a delightfully onomatopoeic in this instance? 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Here is the review I posted on P&B.

Nomadland (2020)
Now I like slow movies. Even the ones that move along, glacier-like I can find satisfying.
However (puffs cheeks and exhales slowly), woman who worked for company which has closed their manufacturing plant moves around the country in a van which is also her home. She takes menial jobs and forms fleeting relationships with strangers, some of whom are also nomadic and she bumps into them at the next parking lot along the way.
That's it, there's nothing deeper. It's more like a documentary as McDormand and Strathairn (the pimp in LA Confidential and Carmela's bit of fluff in the Sopranos) seem to be the only actors; almost every other cast member "plays" someone with their own given name.
Best Picture, Director and Best Actress Oscars? Emperor's New Clothes time again.

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yup plus another two too...

Watched Neil Jordan's The Crying Deal and discovered this in the Goofs section of IMDB...:wacko:

Would it be too corny to suggest that "two too" would also be a delightfully onomatopoeic in this instance? 

Talking about "Goofs section"...

Crying GAME?

Also if you're really going down the Tutu road, night I suggest this movie?

undefined

And for me Nomadland still shines out as being the most interesting fillum I've seen this year.

It's a different way of storytelling, there are always infinite options on the roads those characters were travelling and we don't need to have a formulaic resolution imposed on any of that.

I remember being annoyed and frustrated by a few of Tarantino's attempts at storytelling, but they, too, were well-executed with sometimes no satisfactory resolution.  And... OK - doubtless there were usually more fireworks and amusement from Tarantino, but we don't always need that to be our staple diet.  That, too, can get tiresome.

Frances McDormand was the right choice.

Edited by antrin

Watched this for the first time in a while on Netflix the other night. Absolutely panned by the critics but I like it. Definitely cult film zone. Tarantino influence on Eli Roth is blatant however, blood, gore and violence galore. 

• 5 months later...

Had a REALLY enjoyable evening on Monday watching Not a Time to Die - the latest Bond fillum, if you’ve been isolating…

It ripped entertainingly along till the usual bit towards the end where Bond has to destroy a… yawn… massive concrete baddies hideaway to save the world.  That bit was too samey. And tame.

otherwise.. a fun 2h 43 minutes of hokum.

(I saw it on IMAX, so the visuals were stunning, but the action was fun anyway, the plot both interesting and topical and a few reasonably funny bits punctuate the “serious” story.)

5 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Saw it last night, rip roaring action from start to finish, fitting end to Craig's tenure which I have enjoyed enormously. Who's next then?

Aye, Craig has certainly maintained the standard, if not bettered, of the previous Bond actors.

Must get this booked, not seen/heard a bad review to date.