Anyone Remember The Auld Paisley Cinema Days ?

FS

OK, so once we've named them all and done all the Paisley public clocks, traditional close season trivia thread entertainment. Can anyone answer me this ?

Back in the 70's and early 80's were Paisley cinemas and presumably those in other satellite towns around Glasgow, prevented from showing the big blockbuster releases, like Star Wars or Close Encounters for a couple of weeks until Glasgow cinemas had cleaned up with the punters ?

One of those pub debates, where naebuddie's quite sure ???

Defo in the 60s. My old mum insisted on taking us all to see The Sound of Music in the Gaumont , Sauchiehall St , in 1965. On the films release , The Gaumont was the only cinema in Scotland permitted to show it. It was some considerable time before it was shown nationwide.

By the mid 70s the Paisley Cinemas were showing new releases . The Kelburne and the ABC both showed Enter the Dragon simultaneously , which was unusual. The queues at both cinemas every night during the first week were unbelievable !

I queued to see Quadrophenia at the Kelburn only to be told they were full after about 1/2 an hour , so we quickly transferred to the ABC in Sausageroll St. I distinctly remember seeing white dug shit whilst standing in the queue which , prompted one of my buddies to retell the coconut dug joke , just as a kid rode by on his Raleigh Chopper. .

. .I think it was a yellow one. .

I queued to see Quadrophenia at the Kelburn only to be told they were full after about 1/2 an hour , so we quickly transferred to the ABC in Sausageroll St. I distinctly remember seeing white dug shit whilst standing in the queue which , prompted one of my buddies to retell the coconut dug joke , just as a kid rode by on his Raleigh Chopper. .

. .I think it was a yellow one. .

We call them Chinese kids!

Racist!

;)

Defo in the 60s. My old mum insisted on taking us all to see The Sound of Music in the Gaumont , Sauchiehall St , in 1965. On the films release , The Gaumont was the only cinema in Scotland permitted to show it. It was some considerable time before it was shown nationwide.

By the mid 70s the Paisley Cinemas were showing new releases . The Kelburne and the ABC both showed Enter the Dragon simultaneously , which was unusual. The queues at both cinemas every night during the first week were unbelievable !

Similar experience to yours Billyg with regard to Sound of Music

Pretty certain I was also taken to see it again in the Kelburne when it finally was released and came to Paisley.

To this day, remains to only movie I have ever seen twice in the cinema!! Three times actually if you include the Sing-along version!!

Edited by Jocky

When I was 8-9 yrs old and still in primary I use to go to the ABC minors every Saturday morning. Then up on the stage to say it was my birthday so you could get in the following week for free. I should be 157 this year fcukin great times nae big screen pics then ................ Tom and Jerry, Laurel & Hardy that was it! and of course the worst tasting hotdog in the world.

Then it was down to Love Street to get your life back to reality -

Alexandra, situated in Neilston Rd opposite the entrance to the RAI

paisley_alex1_bp.jpg

Astoria, Lawn St at the entrance of what was Arnott's car park

paisley_astoria_bp.jpg

Glen, corner of Gilmour St and High St

glen2.jpg

Kelburne, Glasgow Rd

0.jpg

La Scala, High St, opposite junction with Moss St

paisley_lascala_bp.jpg

Palladium, Weighhouse Close, now Paisley Centre car park

palladium_1_pf.jpg

Picture House, High St

pichouse1.jpg

Regal, corner of High St and Lady Lane

regal2.jpg

West End, corner of Broomlands St and Queen St

paisley_westend_broomlands_1_1993_cd.jpg

Alexandra, situated in Neilston Rd opposite the entrance to the RAI

paisley_alex1_bp.jpg

Astoria, Lawn St at the entrance of what was Arnott's car park

paisley_astoria_bp.jpg

Glen, corner of Gilmour St and High St

glen2.jpg

Kelburne, Glasgow Rd

0.jpg

La Scala, High St, opposite junction with Moss St

paisley_lascala_bp.jpg

Palladium, Weighhouse Close, now Paisley Centre car park

palladium_1_pf.jpg

Picture House, High St

pichouse1.jpg

Regal, corner of High St and Lady Lane

regal2.jpg

West End, corner of Broomlands St and Queen St

paisley_westend_broomlands_1_1993_cd.jpg

Before they renovated the Kelburn , I thought the La Scala was the best , it certainly seemed to be the largest. .

I was taken to see Paint Your Wagon in the Kelburn not long after it was renovated , possibly the worst film I saw in the cinema - Clint Eastwood singing FFS. .

Before they renovated the Kelburn , I thought the La Scala was the best , it certainly seemed to be the largest. .

I was taken to see Paint Your Wagon in the Kelburn not long after it was renovated , possibly the worst film I saw in the cinema - Clint Eastwood singing FFS. .

and Lee Marvin, of course.