Ralston Snobs In Uproar

On 19/10/2016 at 3:48 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

This kind of thing bores me. Do St Mirren want to attract new customers, to appeal to the local community and to be a positive and inspirational force in the town? Or do St Mirren want to be the anti social, excuse ridden, drain on resources that the club became over the last 20 years?

I know which route is more likely to lead to sustainable success and which will end to a very quick demise.

Those with any interest under the club should be demanding far higher standards all round.

bored enough to reply

An earlier poster mentioned the lengths to which the club has gone with acoustic fencing. They are to be applauded for that.

Residents also require to exhibit tolerance, this is true. As mentioned earlier it appears not to be uncommon that 

Noise has been dealt with it seems within tolerable limits which meet any legal requirements.

Anti social language has not. The solution to the latter lies with the club and its employees.

Only then will things "quieten down" for both parties in this dispute.

Far from being anti social and excuse ridden, St.Mirren have been positive and proactive in trying to address local concerns. Unfortunately, for some it's never good enough.

A few years ago the complaints were about general noise levels.  in planning terms, the use as a sports ground/recreation was established decades ago. Despite that, a noise assessment was undertaken and St.Mirren erected acoustic fencing. 

Since then, some local residents  again raised the issue of noise, pushing for another noise assessment!  Given there is not a case to answer, it would appear complaints have turned to the offensiveness of the noise, which is far more subjective.

On another point, if I recall correctly, there were complaints about balls in gardens. St.Mirren, being the good neighbour, and certainly not making excuses (which given the standard of playing ability would be very easy), erected taller fencing to stop balls. The consequence...complaints about balls hitting the fence!

The club is proactive in improving standards. Fitzy has also met with local residents a few times in his short tenure.

The locals may well be offended by the swearing and frequency of use, and  St.Mirren should do more to address it. However, I suspect even if St.Mirren were to take a zero tolerance approach and the swearing was wiped out, another complaint would soon surface to suit their agenda.

Having a very public facing role in development and planning for major infrastructure projects, I have first hand experience of the lengths people will go to discredit proposals/developments. Whilst legitimate concerns can be mitigated and resolved, some folk will always find something else to complain about no matter how much you address their issues. At the end of the day they just don't want it, but need to justify their dislike for developments rather than simply state their dislike which holds no weight and appears irrational. 

Good post. It's good to see the club has been taking complaints seriously.

Tell you what though I do understand how hearing footballs crash off a metal fence could annoy - why didn't they use nets? - and if the noise levels are sufficiently quiet why do we have one poster on this thread saying he can hear players training all the way from the other side of Glasgow Road?

I've got a son in my house who constantly claims that no matter what he does to clean his room its never enough to satisfy me. The reality is cause that's cause he never does it right. Picking clothes up off the floor to put them all in the wash so someone else will wash and fold them is a solution to a point I guess but it's not really satisfactory especially if when you take the folded clothes back to your room you chuck them on the floor again. It sounds to me like St Mirren have a similar problem at Ralston. The neighbours have a concern with noise and swearing and although St Mirren have done stuff, the problem still exists so residents will continue to complain. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Cutting out swearing should be easy. Instead of getting defensive lets give it a go. I'll even try and clean up my act on here since I'm prone to post the odd swear word

5 hours ago, bungle_1981 said:

Far from being anti social and excuse ridden, St.Mirren have been positive and proactive in trying to address local concerns. Unfortunately, for some it's never good enough.

A few years ago the complaints were about general noise levels.  in planning terms, the use as a sports ground/recreation was established decades ago. Despite that, a noise assessment was undertaken and St.Mirren erected acoustic fencing. 

Since then, some local residents  again raised the issue of noise, pushing for another noise assessment!  Given there is not a case to answer, it would appear complaints have turned to the offensiveness of the noise, which is far more subjective.

On another point, if I recall correctly, there were complaints about balls in gardens. St.Mirren, being the good neighbour, and certainly not making excuses (which given the standard of playing ability would be very easy), erected taller fencing to stop balls. The consequence...complaints about balls hitting the fence!

The club is proactive in improving standards. Fitzy has also met with local residents a few times in his short tenure.

The locals may well be offended by the swearing and frequency of use, and  St.Mirren should do more to address it. However, I suspect even if St.Mirren were to take a zero tolerance approach and the swearing was wiped out, another complaint would soon surface to suit their agenda.

Having a very public facing role in development and planning for major infrastructure projects, I have first hand experience of the lengths people will go to discredit proposals/developments. Whilst legitimate concerns can be mitigated and resolved, some folk will always find something else to complain about no matter how much you address their issues. At the end of the day they just don't want it, but need to justify their dislike for developments rather than simply state their dislike which holds no weight and appears irrational. 

Good and well balanced post.

Now, this is your final warning, no more please.

5 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Tell you what though I do understand how hearing footballs crash off a metal fence could annoy - why didn't they use nets?

Brilliant idea, after all our lot cannie hit the net at the best of times.

Edited by Kendo

1 minute ago, HSS said:

This should make a huge difference. :rolleyes:

20161028_104057.jpg

Personally, I hope so.

Attending the Under 20's game at Paisley the other night I noticed that there was no swearing from the crowd - Until !

One of our players used the F word a few times in an attempt to get others to pick up the pace.

This was then mimicked by a few young women in the crowd.

Players behaviour does impact on fans and neighbours alike and not always positively.

4 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I take it from the sign that local residents have also had to endure the sight of players pissing at the side of the pitch.

How do you know the banner isn't a request to the folk of Ralston and Saints are the neighbours wanting respect :whistle

I take it from the sign that local residents have also had to endure the sight of players pissing at the side of the pitch.

The usual pish from you. If something is against Saints you are right on it even more than a Morton fan would. Constructive speech is one thing throwing stones is quite another. Let's get one thing straight your an attention seeking fat slob.

39 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The usual pish from you. If something is against Saints you are right on it even more than a Morton fan would. Constructive speech is one thing throwing stones is quite another. Let's get one thing straight your an attention seeking fat slob.

And lets face it IoBS, you're nothing more than a rather ignorant attention seeker yourself. Tell me, why else would the sign ask players to use the toilet if that was what they were already doing? 

I think you've gone beyond constructive debate and you've resorted to complete and unadulterated abuse. There are some on here I would expect that kind of behaviour from. And whilst I think you're about as bright as a 1w light bulb and desperate to please by following a crowd, you are not one of those people. It does you very little credit at all. 

What is difficult to understand here?

Surely none of us want to live with a bunch of guys swearing daily outside their home or urinating in public.

Both might be described as Breaches of The Peace.

Surely common decency and common sense will prevail before we get to that.

This has nothing to do with money or class....just good neiighbourlyness. 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, helpmaboab said:

The training facility should not be near any residential housing.

Any person heard swearing in public should be arrested and fined 500 quid.

Those who don't have 500 quid should do 50 hours community work like removing graffiti.

Any person using their face as a pin cushion should not be seen in public.

One person's anti social behaviour is another's freedom of expression.

Up against the wall...

Jings.  Crivvens. Help ma Boab!  :0