Eu Referendum

Kendo

EU referendum   

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder what happened when Switzerland decided to opt out of Freedom of Movement in 2014. Maybe it's just that the UK is so powerful, so influential and so important that the EU will fall apart without us. :rolleyes: 

In another lie the SNP told us the EU would keep Scotland in. Oh how they've changed their story after Sturgeon got her arse handed to her in the European Parliament

Well the wee Belgium guy said this week if Scotland went independent it would be allowed into the EU straight away. Of course that is only one voice but a powerful one. You need to stop reading the right wing properganda machine daily mail though it does say a lot about you for reading it.

On 10/09/2016 at 6:00 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Well the wee Belgium guy said this week if Scotland went independent it would be allowed into the EU straight away. Of course that is only one voice but a powerful one. You need to stop reading the right wing properganda machine daily mail though it does say a lot about you for reading it.

FFS IBOS. A powerful voice? He's a former Belgian Prime Minister who is now just an MEP. He's been given the job of negotiating Brexit from the EU side - so he's basically the EU's David Davis. It only takes one vote to block Scotland's admission to the EU and France, Spain and Germany have all said they won't have it. Poland are unimpressed too, and that's just the ones that have told Sturgeon it won't be happening through the press. There isn't a hope in hell of the EU letting part of the UK remain while the rest leaves. To think otherwise is utterly absurd and it shows how silly you really are. 

I had lunch in Wetherspoons Tuesday Bell in Lisburn yesterday and read Tim Martin's article about Brexit in the Wetherspoon magazine. A couple of other articles about it are also quoted. It makes interesting reading. Food for thought over a quiet pint. I believe it can be downloaded.

I had lunch in Wetherspoons Tuesday Bell in Lisburn yesterday and read Tim Martin's article about Brexit in the Wetherspoon magazine. A couple of other articles about it are also quoted. It makes interesting reading. Food for thought over a quiet pint. I believe it can be downloaded.

I remember you writting Witherspoons were going to open a pub near you. Has it affected other bars Rick. ?

45 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I remember you writting Witherspoons were going to open a pub near you. Has it affected other bars Rick. ?

Hasn't happened yet. I think I mentioned that I saw Tim Martin in Bangor looking at the now closed Windsor Bar which used to be my local. And the staff in the Spirit Merchant, Wetherspoons Bar in nearby Newtownards, all said it was definitely happening. Others say that all the other Bangor publicans are doing their damnedest to stop it but I doubt they could do that. I'll be happy if it happens but I know Wetherspoons isn't everybody's  cup of tea. Or even pint of lager.

Hasn't happened yet. I think I mentioned that I saw Tim Martin in Bangor looking at the now closed Windsor Bar which used to be my local. And the staff in the Spirit Merchant, Wetherspoons Bar in nearby Newtownards, all said it was definitely happening. Others say that all the other Bangor publicans are doing their damnedest to stop it but I doubt they could do that. I'll be happy if it happens but I know Wetherspoons isn't everybody's  cup of tea. Or even pint of lager.

For me it is about small independent bars who just can't match the price of Witherspoons buying power. Which might be good for punters but not in the long run when bars close down. When I get the train into Paisley for games always go to the other bars around the station but that's my choice I suppose.

Cameron's Project Fear proved a FARCE as report says 'no sign' of Brexit armageddon

BRITAIN’S economy is booming post-Brexit despite the cataclysmic predictions of the Project Fear campaign which have categorically failed to come true, officials said today

A Government watchdog rubbished David Cameron and George Osborne’s EU referendum scare stories and said there is “no sign” of the economic armageddon they warned of before the Brexit vote. 

The damning report leaves the reputations of the two Remain campaign stooges in tatters and will further undermine already shaken confidence in the impartiality of Whitehall departments. 

Mr Cameron and his Britain Stronger in Europe allies were repeatedly accused of manipulating the apparatus of the state, including Government departments, in a crude bid to scare people into voting to stick with Brussels.

The smooth profession of the British economy following the Brexit vote has already damaged the reputation of Bank of England governor Mark Carney, who made dire predictions before the referendum which enraged leading Brexiteers. 

And now the former prime minister and his chancellor’s claims have also been rubbished by today’s release from the independent Office for National Statistics (ONS), which was particularly outspoken in its dismissal of their scare stories. 

The ex Tory leader claimed that leaving the EU could spark World War Three whilst Mr Osborne sent a leaflet to all homes in the UK, at a cost of £9 million to the taxpayer, warning that three million jobs were at risk. 

International bodies like the IMF and OECD warned the British economy would tank if people voted for Brexit whilst the Treasury produced a massively discredited forecast claiming it would cost each family £4,300 a year. 

Other bodies predicted a collapse in house prices, soaring inflation and a rise in joblessness as a result of a huge recession which was supposed to follow quitting the Brussels club. 

The dire predictions led to the Remain campaign being dubbed Project Fear by supporters of the Leave campaign. 

And today they were found to be baseless by the ONS which ruled that, instead of dismay, there were signs of consumer confidence and strength in the UK economy. 

At the same time the OECD, one of the former Brexit doom-mongers, retracted its prediction of a recession and significantly upgraded its growth outlook for Britain. 

The ONS's Chief Economist Joe Grice said: “As the available information grows, the referendum result appears, so far, not to have had a major effect on the UK economy. 

“So it hasn't fallen at the first fence but longer-term effects remain to be seen. 

“The index of services published soon and the preliminary estimate of third quarter GDP, published at the end of October will add significantly to the evidence.” 

The watchdog’s report found that the sharp fall in the value of sterling since the June 23rd vote has “so far had little effect on prices”.

It stated: “In addition, house prices continued to grow strongly in July, albeit at a slightly slower annual rate due to last year's price changes, with annual growth falling from 9.7 per cent in June to 8.3 per cent in July.” 

Elsewhere the assessment said while manufacturing output fell 0.9 per cent in July, the figures had been at “similar levels within a narrow range since 2012”. 

It concluded: “The small decline in July was across most manufacturing industries, with no sign that post-referendum fears were disproportionately affecting any particular sub-sectors.” 

And the report pointed out that whilst there was a slight dip in retail spending in August - which some Remainers seized upon as a sign of falling consumer confidence - the fall followed a huge 1.9 per cent hike in July. 

It said: “So far there are no signs of a sharp collapse in consumer confidence as some early fears had suggested.”

The ONS report followed more good news from the OECD, which upgraded growth for this year by 0.1 per cent and said the UK would not go into recession.

Although the think-tank said the economy would slow down in 2017, it is still expected to grow by 1 per cent.

But it added: “Nevertheless, there has been no sign of a major collapse in confidence and, within the data that is available, some indicators of strength.” 

Responding to the OECD report, Chancellor Philip Hammond said: “The underlying strength in the UK economy will support growth this year, and we have seen that in the labour market where employment is at a record high. 

“The OECD highlights uncertainty in their outlook, and while I recognise that there may be some difficult times ahead, I am confident that we have the tools necessary to support the economy as we adjust to a new relationship with the EU and take advantage of the opportunities that it offers.” 

and yet Nicola Sturgeon and her Nasti stoogies tell us she's looking after Scotlands interests when she claims we need to leave all this good news in the UK economy to become a bankrupt backwater under the whip of an undemocratic EU. As Alf Garnett would once have said "Silly Moo" :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Cameron's Project Fear proved a FARCE as report says 'no sign' of Brexit armageddon

BRITAIN’S economy is booming post-Brexit despite the cataclysmic predictions of the Project Fear campaign which have categorically failed to come true, officials said today

A Government watchdog rubbished David Cameron and George Osborne’s EU referendum scare stories and said there is “no sign” of the economic armageddon they warned of before the Brexit vote. 

The damning report leaves the reputations of the two Remain campaign stooges in tatters and will further undermine already shaken confidence in the impartiality of Whitehall departments. 

Mr Cameron and his Britain Stronger in Europe allies were repeatedly accused of manipulating the apparatus of the state, including Government departments, in a crude bid to scare people into voting to stick with Brussels.

The smooth profession of the British economy following the Brexit vote has already damaged the reputation of Bank of England governor Mark Carney, who made dire predictions before the referendum which enraged leading Brexiteers. 

And now the former prime minister and his chancellor’s claims have also been rubbished by today’s release from the independent Office for National Statistics (ONS), which was particularly outspoken in its dismissal of their scare stories. 

The ex Tory leader claimed that leaving the EU could spark World War Three whilst Mr Osborne sent a leaflet to all homes in the UK, at a cost of £9 million to the taxpayer, warning that three million jobs were at risk. 

International bodies like the IMF and OECD warned the British economy would tank if people voted for Brexit whilst the Treasury produced a massively discredited forecast claiming it would cost each family £4,300 a year. 

Other bodies predicted a collapse in house prices, soaring inflation and a rise in joblessness as a result of a huge recession which was supposed to follow quitting the Brussels club. 

The dire predictions led to the Remain campaign being dubbed Project Fear by supporters of the Leave campaign. 

And today they were found to be baseless by the ONS which ruled that, instead of dismay, there were signs of consumer confidence and strength in the UK economy. 

At the same time the OECD, one of the former Brexit doom-mongers, retracted its prediction of a recession and significantly upgraded its growth outlook for Britain. 

The ONS's Chief Economist Joe Grice said: “As the available information grows, the referendum result appears, so far, not to have had a major effect on the UK economy. 

“So it hasn't fallen at the first fence but longer-term effects remain to be seen. 

“The index of services published soon and the preliminary estimate of third quarter GDP, published at the end of October will add significantly to the evidence.” 

The watchdog’s report found that the sharp fall in the value of sterling since the June 23rd vote has “so far had little effect on prices”.

It stated: “In addition, house prices continued to grow strongly in July, albeit at a slightly slower annual rate due to last year's price changes, with annual growth falling from 9.7 per cent in June to 8.3 per cent in July.” 

Elsewhere the assessment said while manufacturing output fell 0.9 per cent in July, the figures had been at “similar levels within a narrow range since 2012”. 

It concluded: “The small decline in July was across most manufacturing industries, with no sign that post-referendum fears were disproportionately affecting any particular sub-sectors.” 

And the report pointed out that whilst there was a slight dip in retail spending in August - which some Remainers seized upon as a sign of falling consumer confidence - the fall followed a huge 1.9 per cent hike in July. 

It said: “So far there are no signs of a sharp collapse in consumer confidence as some early fears had suggested.”

The ONS report followed more good news from the OECD, which upgraded growth for this year by 0.1 per cent and said the UK would not go into recession.

Although the think-tank said the economy would slow down in 2017, it is still expected to grow by 1 per cent.

But it added: “Nevertheless, there has been no sign of a major collapse in confidence and, within the data that is available, some indicators of strength.” 

Responding to the OECD report, Chancellor Philip Hammond said: “The underlying strength in the UK economy will support growth this year, and we have seen that in the labour market where employment is at a record high. 

“The OECD highlights uncertainty in their outlook, and while I recognise that there may be some difficult times ahead, I am confident that we have the tools necessary to support the economy as we adjust to a new relationship with the EU and take advantage of the opportunities that it offers.” 

and yet Nicola Sturgeon and her Nasti stoogies tell us she's looking after Scotlands interests when she claims we need to leave all this good news in the UK economy to become a bankrupt backwater under the whip of an undemocratic EU. As Alf Garnett would once have said "Silly Moo" :rolleyes:

Brexit has not happend yet what do you not understand all experts keep telling us that. At this moment we are a full member of the EU.

Brexit has not happend yet what do you not understand all experts keep telling us that. At this moment we are a full member of the EU.

Days after the referendum on this forum we had idiot nationalists pointing at a falling currency and some money being wiped off the stockmarket as proof Armegeddon was happening. Yet here we see that so far it's been anything but bad news with all the experts having to revise their growth forecast upwards because of the strength of the performance of the UK economy.

More than that though IoBS we were told companies would flee on knowing we would be exiting the EU yet despite having replaced a rather wet PM with one who is obviously going to push ahead with Brexit no matter what, we find actually foreign investment in the UK continues to rise.

I guess that's the benefit of being part of the 5th largest economy in the world. No-one can afford not to do business with the UK. However all this separatist pish that the SNP keep reviving is damaging Scotland as we can see in the figures which show Scotland lagging behind the UK. Why? Well if you were choosing a site in the UK to invest in would you rather put it in the country where you have certainty of the future or would you want one where around 45% of adults want to destabilise their own economy which is clearly reliant on the UK to stop it from tanking.

Yeah project fear was wrong regards Brexit and Scotland voting to become independent. Scotland was also told that the world would end if we voted to be independent.

Scotland would now be joining the EU as an independent nation taking jobs from England who wanted free trade within Europe. 

We bought project fear England didn't.

11 hours ago, Kendo said:

Yeah project fear was wrong regards Brexit and Scotland voting to become independent. Scotland was also told that the world would end if we voted to be independent.

Scotland would now be joining the EU as an independent nation taking jobs from England who wanted free trade within Europe. 

We bought project fear England didn't.

The £15Bn deficit suggests that those voting No in the Scottish Referendum got it very, very right and thank f**k they did too. I just wish the SNP would take their jackboots off the neck of Scotland and allow us to enjoy the kind of economic success the rest of the UK is enjoying right now without their attempt to destabilise and damage. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

The UK was sidelined at the last G20 summit.  The US pronounced that we are at the back of the queue on trade deals and japan warned that failure to get full access the single market (with no limits on the mobility of labour) would se all of their facilities being moved to mainland Europe.

All because of the vote.  These events will filter through into forecasts and then into actual stats once the deal is struck.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, looks like the Brexit vote is now just starting to kick in post Tory conference.

The pound is through the floor and TESCO is under real pressure to raise prices as it falls out with suppliers, fuel prices are rising and we haven't even triggered article 50 yet. 

The only good thing is the Tory party are about to rip themselves apart on how we negotiate Brexit and no matter what deal is negotiated the leave campaign will be shouting this isn't what we voted for.

Time to sit back and enjoy the show.

Yeah, looks like the Brexit vote is now just starting to kick in post Tory conference.

The pound is through the floor and TESCO is under real pressure to raise prices as it falls out with suppliers, fuel prices are rising and we haven't even triggered article 50 yet. 

The only good thing is the Tory party are about to rip themselves apart on how we negotiate Brexit and no matter what deal is negotiated the leave campaign will be shouting this isn't what we voted for.

Time to sit back and enjoy the show.

How nationalistic of you.

Tesco forced Unilever into a u-turn btw and the public backlash from real people has caused a bit of a panic at Unilever. But you carry on wishing pain and misery on your fellow Scots in a bid to score political point. :rolleyes:

Can you imagine the effect on an independent Scotland of a massive deficit had we voted to leave in 2014. High inflation, high interest rates, falling pensions, the complete collapse of the Scottish NHS, a steep rise in unemployment all averted by the heroic 55%

Guest TPAFKATS
How nationalistic of you.

Tesco forced Unilever into a u-turn btw and the public backlash from real people has caused a bit of a panic at Unilever. But you carry on wishing pain and misery on your fellow Scots in a bid to score political point. :rolleyes:

Can you imagine the effect on an independent Scotland of a massive deficit had we voted to leave in 2014. High inflation, high interest rates, falling pensions, the complete collapse of the Scottish NHS, a steep rise in unemployment all averted by the heroic 55%

Yes this is terrible Kendo - soon you'll be wishing pain and suffering on babies.

The last paragraph is even more jobbie filled than normal from dicko. Esp given that this week the pound has hit a 168 year low and the gov of the BoE today tells us to expect a large hike in inflation. Apparently interest rates will remain low to save job losses.

• 2 weeks later...