Eu Referendum

Kendo

EU referendum   

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

Tonight's news full of the headlines about Nissan deciding to build a new qashqai and x-trail at their Sunderland plant, despite Brexit.

Hmmm...

It's great news but it was actually completely expected as anyone who watched This Week knows full well. The SNP has made an arse of itself talking about how companies would flee the UK. Nissan have proved the point, and the people of Sunderland voted leave in massive numbers. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS
It's great news but it was actually completely expected as anyone who watched This Week knows full well. The SNP has made an arse of itself talking about how companies would flee the UK. Nissan have proved the point, and the people of Sunderland voted leave in massive numbers. 

Are you really thick or extremely gullible?
Nissan wanted reassurance over tariffs and free movement of people amongst others.

They've got neither yet announce that they are staying.

Quite an interesting story from Lithuania during the week. There an 'anti emigration' party came from nowhere to win the election.

They ran on a promise to limit the amount of young Lithuanians leaving the country and going to places like... well places like Britain. Over half the emigrants leaving there have came here since 2004 and their population has fell by 10% as a result, and they won. Can understand why, if that continues they'll hardly be anyone left in the east of Europe in a generation.

The free movement of people isn't working on both sides of the divide. The brain drain of talent from east to west is causing problems on both sides of the continent, and it's about to end.

7 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

Are you really thick or extremely gullible?
Nissan wanted reassurance over tariffs and free movement of people amongst others.

They've got neither yet announce that they are staying.

As was rightly highlighted by Michael Portillo tonight, the pound has fallen by 15% against the Dollar, and the worst case scenario would be that we'd have to pay 10% tax to export these cars to the US. So without assurances or anything else for that matter, the good people at Nissan are rubbing their hands together with glee at the current situation. Official figures also show that the UK is exporting more cars to Europe and all around the world today than we have ever done before. 

You silly Nationalists are the ones struggling with the concept of how the world of business works. There's no surprise in that at all. The fact that the pound has fallen offsets any concerns over export tax, and it's fantastic news for the UK's exporters. The SNP should be delighted. It will certainly help boost whisky sales. 

As was rightly highlighted by Michael Portillo tonight, the pound has fallen by 15% against the Dollar, and the worst case scenario would be that we'd have to pay 10% tax to export these cars to the US. So without assurances or anything else for that matter, the good people at Nissan are rubbing their hands together with glee at the current situation. Official figures also show that the UK is exporting more cars to Europe and all around the world today than we have ever done before. 

You silly Nationalists are the ones struggling with the concept of how the world of business works. There's no surprise in that at all. The fact that the pound has fallen offsets any concerns over export tax, and it's fantastic news for the UK's exporters. The SNP should be delighted. It will certainly help boost whisky sales. 

What a pile of wanky pish...

Guest TPAFKATS

'Current situation'
Companies like Nissan look a wee bit further ahead that the here and now. While they will be delighted that their exports are now cheaper (btw they export to Europe where they use euros not dollars) this might not be the case next year or in 2018.
So I'll repeat, they wanted reassurance from gov prior to committing. This reassurance has been given but not made public.
Of course now every other industry and sector will be demanding the same.

'Current situation'
Companies like Nissan look a wee bit further ahead that the here and now. While they will be delighted that their exports are now cheaper (btw they export to Europe where they use euros not dollars) this might not be the case next year or in 2018.
So I'll repeat, they wanted reassurance from gov prior to committing. This reassurance has been given but not made public.
Of course now every other industry and sector will be demanding the same.

The same as what? The official line was that the UK government would remain committed to R&D in the automotive industry. No-one who was party to the talks has hinted at anything more than that.

You are simply doing what all left whingers do. Instead of cheering positive job news you look for a reason to talk the country down and to destabilise the jobs market. That's why the Conservatives can rightly claim to be the party of the worker.

All of the economic indicators since Brexit shows that the Remain campaign operated with all the economic accuracy of the SNP. The economy is still growing, interest rates have fallen, we've got record numbers of people in work and the multi national companies haven't taken flight. At the same time the EU is under more pressure with Spain needing a bail out, Italy on the verge of collapse, Greece f**ked and countries like Lithuania seeking to scrap Freedom of Movement and to reimpose immigration controls. I voted Remain. What a fool I was.

The same as what? The official line was that the UK government would remain committed to R&D in the automotive industry. No-one who was party to the talks has hinted at anything more than that.

You are simply doing what all left whingers do. Instead of cheering positive job news you look for a reason to talk the country down and to destabilise the jobs market. That's why the Conservatives can rightly claim to be the party of the worker.

All of the economic indicators since Brexit shows that the Remain campaign operated with all the economic accuracy of the SNP. The economy is still growing, interest rates have fallen, we've got record numbers of people in work and the multi national companies haven't taken flight. At the same time the EU is under more pressure with Spain needing a bail out, Italy on the verge of collapse, Greece f**ked and countries like Lithuania seeking to scrap Freedom of Movement and to reimpose immigration controls. I voted Remain. What a fool I was.

12 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Re the bit in bold

Does the fact that most of the materials and components have to be bought from overseas with that self-same weaker pound not bother you?

Though you are right about whisky if made from UK sourced ingredients

16 hours ago, tony soprano said:

Tonight's news full of the headlines about Nissan deciding to build a new qashqai and x-trail at their Sunderland plant, despite Brexit.

Hmmm...

Nissan have outlined the current position, but like all businesses they will change or ratify previous decisions based on conditions as they develop.

i like the sentiment, however the UK has secured similar promises from industry in the past that remained unfulfilled.

Remember the massive Hyundai semi-conductor facility in Fife?  The tory folly is all but gone and Freddie Shephard has all but covered the site in houses now.

ETA

This was a smart move by Nissan.  Now no-one is asking them about their plans and all the attention has gone elsewhere.  They either now get massive support to stay or they have a gilt-edged excuse for moving out of the UK if the tories can't deliver

Edited by beyond our ken

Nissan have outlined the current position, but like all businesses they will change or ratify previous decisions based on conditions as they develop.

i like the sentiment, however the UK has secured similar promises from industry in the past that remained unfulfilled.

Remember the massive Hyundai semi-conductor facility in Fife?  The tory folly is all but gone and Freddie Shephard has all but covered the site in houses now.

ETA

This was a smart move by Nissan.  Now no-one is asking them about their plans and all the attention has gone elsewhere.  They either now get massive support to stay or they have a gilt-edged excuse for moving out of the UK if the tories can't deliver

I think you perhaps mean the Chawunga picture Tubes place at Eurocentral. There were some serious flaws in the way that contract was negotiated by the then Labour Government.

Anyway the Nissan commitment is longer term than you think. For a start production of the next generation Qashqai isn't expected to start till 2018. The Qashqai is the biggest selling Nissan model by miles right across the world. I'd imagine the investment Nissan will be making will secure jobs at Sunderland for at least the next 10 years. Nissan have also being saying they'll need to recruit more than 1000 new employees too. Bloody impressive in a jobs blackspot like the North East of England. Yet rather than congratulate and celebrate the good news the left appear to be crying into their cornflakes bleating that public money might have been used to keep the jobs going - the very thing those hypocritical bastard s were calling for to save steel plants in Scotland, Wales and Sheffield.

I think you perhaps mean the Chawunga picture Tubes place at Eurocentral. There were some serious flaws in the way that contract was negotiated by the then Labour Government.

Anyway the Nissan commitment is longer term than you think. For a start production of the next generation Qashqai isn't expected to start till 2018. The Qashqai is the biggest selling Nissan model by miles right across the world. I'd imagine the investment Nissan will be making will secure jobs at Sunderland for at least the next 10 years. Nissan have also being saying they'll need to recruit more than 1000 new employees too. Bloody impressive in a jobs blackspot like the North East of England. Yet rather than congratulate and celebrate the good news the left appear to be crying into their cornflakes bleating that public money might have been used to keep the jobs going - the very thing those hypocritical bastard s were calling for to save steel plants in Scotland, Wales and Sheffield.

• 1 month later...
Guest TPAFKATS

Scotland's First Minister today unveiled proposals for Scotland's future relationship with Europe. Sturgeon appears to be offering negotiation as the way forward.

The paper was broadly welcomed by a wide range of bodies across Scotland, the UK and Europe. The UK Gov says it will study the proposals "closely"

The Unionist opposition parties at Holyrood made noises about independence and #SNPbad

No disrespect to Sturgeon, but negotiation is all she can offer.

May is no different.

and the EU is forced to do the same.  There is no magic wand, no panacea, no curing of all ills and sorting of grievances, just boringly ongoing negotiations by everyone in order to bodge up ways for us all to inevitably keep living together.

Guest TPAFKATS
No disrespect to Sturgeon, but negotiation is all she can offer.
May is no different.
and the EU is forced to do the same.  There is no magic wand, no panacea, no curing of all ills and sorting of grievances, just boringly ongoing negotiations by everyone in order to bodge up ways for us all to inevitably keep living together.

Yeah, but it's good to see her publish something. Now if May could do similar...

15 hours ago, tony soprano said:

Scotland's First Minister today unveiled proposals for Scotland's future relationship with Europe. Sturgeon appears to be offering negotiation as the way forward.

The paper was broadly welcomed by a wide range of bodies across Scotland, the UK and Europe. The UK Gov says it will study the proposals "closely"

The Unionist opposition parties at Holyrood made noises about independence and #SNPbad

I heard there was one wide body who didn't welcome it.

20 hours ago, tony soprano said:

Yeah, but it's good to see her publish something. Now if May could do similar...

Whilst I have made my stance clear, I am for Scotland trading us a single market at some point, I am totally against the UK government publishing anything at this stage... We don't hold any cards, so we cant play them

This is not a Tory problem its a UK one...

around 10m voted Tory but over 17m voted leave. People forget this. 17m have never voted for anything. Thats a message

The same fear that plagued the SNP campaign of 2014, is now being played by the SNP with leave.... Its totally harmful and selfish

History will show Cameron as one of the most useless and destructive  PMs of all time, Blair may well have done Iran, but Cameron did Britain.

If Cameron had given the Devo Max that Salmond wanted we never would have got 45% Independence, also if Cameron had actually listened to the electorate and the fact that UKIP got 4.2m votes, he never should have given a leave EU in 2016.

There is a mugginess with SNP , that's plaguing Scotland............... Its almost , we cant lose here..... well we can.....

We now have close to Devo Max............ SNP..... run our country........... show what we are capable of............ or please lose and let another party run our affairs.

Fed up with this England are dragging us down shit, I work in the North of England Public Sector and trust me we are far better off than they are.......... Thats why the voted in their millions for a voice and change

We are not victims, the world is in a bad place, it was a shocking idea to have that vote this year, but its a good idea that federalism stops, it just doesn't work, we just should never have jumped, that totally weakened our position.................

So before we paint our faces, wear kilts and do all the other things that didn't happen in William Wallaces spat, its time to survive, not split...

Oh, just for the record, the Torys are despicable in every way however at this point, over next 2 years, we have to support, and if you cant see that, then like Culloden we are heading for an another massacre

6 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Whilst I have made my stance clear, I am for Scotland trading us a single market at some point, I am totally against the UK government publishing anything at this stage... We don't hold any cards, so we cant play them

This is not a Tory problem its a UK one...

around 10m voted Tory but over 17m voted leave. People forget this. 17m have never voted for anything. Thats a message

The same fear that plagued the SNP campaign of 2014, is now being played by the SNP with leave.... Its totally harmful and selfish

History will show Cameron as one of the most useless and destructive  PMs of all time, Blair may well have done Iran, but Cameron did Britain.

If Cameron had given the Devo Max that Salmond wanted we never would have got 45% Independence, also if Cameron had actually listened to the electorate and the fact that UKIP got 4.2m votes, he never should have given a leave EU in 2016.

There is a mugginess with SNP , that's plaguing Scotland............... Its almost , we cant lose here..... well we can.....

We now have close to Devo Max............ SNP..... run our country........... show what we are capable of............ or please lose and let another party run our affairs.

Fed up with this England are dragging us down shit, I work in the North of England Public Sector and trust me we are far better off than they are.......... Thats why the voted in their millions for a voice and change

We are not victims, the world is in a bad place, it was a shocking idea to have that vote this year, but its a good idea that federalism stops, it just doesn't work, we just should never have jumped, that totally weakened our position.................

So before we paint our faces, wear kilts and do all the other things that didn't happen in William Wallaces spat, its time to survive, not split...

Oh, just for the record, the Torys are despicable in every way however at this point, over next 2 years, we have to support, and if you cant see that, then like Culloden we are heading for an another massacre

In other words.

#SNPBaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.