Sign in to follow this  
Kendo

Eu Referendum

EU referendum   

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to presume you're answering oaky, there.  So I may be answering a question meant for someone else.

However,  I had just written about Scotland as a region of the UK being in the EU.

Which is a bit like writing Elderslie (No disrespect intended, Neil... and Windae Cleaner...)  is currently in the EU.

If Elderslie became independent ahead of Brexit it would be in exactly the same situation wrt the EU as an independent Scotland.

ie   none.  No situation, no special rights, no head start, no nothing.

I think.

Big countries IN the EU, with similar problems as the UK with regard to separatists will never acquiesce....
Though 'never' is a long time.

This isn't an appropriate comparison. Elderslie doesn't have its own legislature capable of creating laws that meet EU standards. Elderslie doesn't have it's own judicial system with judges capable of interpreting and applying EU laws within its judgments. Elderslie doesn't have official measures for ensuring respect for human rights and democracy. Elderslie doesn't have a functioning market economy capable of integrating and operating within the single market.

All of those are elements within the Copenhagen criteria (the criteria that is expanded into the chapters which candidate countries to the EU must demonstrate with evidence that they meet prior to a vote being allowed to be taken within the EU parliament to allowing them to be granted EU membership). Scotland has all of those in place currently due to the unique way that the countries within the UK are devolved as well as historical separation of our judiciaries to a massive extent.

The only main stumbling block with Scotland applying for Member State status in its own right if made independent would be to have evidence of an economy that it controls independently of the rest of the UK. It would need its own central bank or an agreement to separately control its currency in some way.

f**k off, Elderslie's just part of Johnstone.

Breaking news......

Thieving Johnstone bassa's have invaded and stolen a part of Elderslie (Thorn area).

As a resident once said, they can take our lives but they cannie take our pubs.

Cannie believe the scriptwriters changed that bit as well. ????

And so, ZA, The Faroes (my original point for comparison) which is now ten years into its "entry process" to an adjunct of the EU WOULD be considered reasonable - and thus reasonably pessimistic?

I am well aware  that Paisley would never allow Elderslie it's freedom!

:whistle

24 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

As a resident once said, they can take our lives but they cannie take our pubs. emoji34.png

Cannie believe the scriptwriters changed that bit as well. 

You should have seen the original drafts.  A bit like dickhead on speed.

someone after me, also excised the lines about the verdant battlefield of Love Street..

Honest!  Partly...

16 hours ago, antrin said:

No.

YOU split the hair.  You were and are simply wrong.

Scotland as a region of UK is in the EU.

Regions do not just swan into the EU.

But fair enough.  Missing you already.

Region or not, we are part of the EU right now and are coming at this from an entirely different position from the Faroes.

Stop treating people like idiots.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

And so, ZA, The Faroes (my original point for comparison) which is now ten years into its "entry process" to an adjunct of the EU WOULD be considered reasonable - and thus reasonably pessimistic?

I am well aware  that Paisley would never allow Elderslie it's freedom!

:whistle

Have the Faroes EVER been part of the EU either as a region or as an independent country?

If no, then you have your answer. The same answer I gave you some time back in the thread,

Edited by oaksoft

Breaking news......

Thieving Johnstone bassa's have invaded and stolen a part of Elderslie (Thorn area).

They can keep the Thorn but they're not getting the Thorn Hospital!

As a resident once said, they can take our lives but they cannie take our pubs.

Sadly, someone has, one left of the four when I was a lad...

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Region or not, we are part of the EU right now and are coming at this from an entirely different position from the Faroes.

Stop treating people like idiots.

I didn't chose The Faroes as the point of comparison, idiot.

That was Nicola Sturgeon, who used it in her recent speech, idiot.

I was merely remarking upon THAT not being a great place to choose for comparison as ten years later, The Faroes is STILL in the process of trying to become a member of EFTA.

ZA justifiably pointed out that, my attempt to simplify for you or other idiots by choosing Elderslie as my simplification, was slightly flawed. And I don't disagree,

My original point still stands (Scotland will not get a simple quick and easy fix) and if you don't like Scotland being spoken of in the same breath as The Faroes then blame the woman who didn't lead you to FREEDOM.

Idiot.  :)

2 hours ago, antrin said:

I didn't chose The Faroes as the point of comparison, idiot.

That was Nicola Sturgeon, who used it in her recent speech, idiot.

I was merely remarking upon THAT not being a great place to choose for comparison as ten years later, The Faroes is STILL in the process of trying to become a member of EFTA.

ZA justifiably pointed out that, my attempt to simplify for you or other idiots by choosing Elderslie as my simplification, was slightly flawed. And I don't disagree,

My original point still stands (Scotland will not get a simple quick and easy fix) and if you don't like Scotland being spoken of in the same breath as The Faroes then blame the woman who didn't lead you to FREEDOM.

Idiot.  :)

Blimey. I think you need to go for a wee lie down.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Blimey. I think you need to go for a wee lie down.

It's no me - it's YOU - as someone so aptly pointed out on another thread.

You go off on one too easily, missing the point, being overwrought and fretting.

It's only a forum, young man.