David Clarkson

You way some people go on you'd think we suddenly turned into Barcelona after the January window.

In the real world, we didn't, we remained a pretty poor side. Results improved against the likes of Alloa, Morton and Livi and performances got a better from a very low level under Murray. However, we never beat any of the top 4 and in several games we were extremely poor.

If we are going to be challenging at the top end of the league next year, we need to improve. And if we are going to improve, we need to get in forwards who can actually score goals on a regular basis.

Clarkson made 20 appearances for us and Motherwell last season, and scored 1 goal, not good enough in anyone's language. For that reason I hope he's only used as cover as I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter for a team at the top end of the Championship.

who do you expect to sign on our budget plus we're a championship side, not going to attract top players.

It's not about attracting top players

It's better players we are after

Stop going on about budgets that's an excuse

Look at Falkirk and Raith finished well ahead of us

Do you think Falkirk and Raith have better players than us? I don't, I just think they get the best out of the the players that they can afford.

Do you think Falkirk and Raith have better players than us? I don't, I just think they get the best out of the the players that they can afford.

Falkirk have John Baird, Mark Kerr, Bob McHugh and David McCracken playing for them. Can you imagine the absolute meltdown on here if we had signed any of them?

Falkirk have John Baird, Mark Kerr, Bob McHugh and David McCracken playing for them. Can you imagine the absolute meltdown on here if we had signed any of them?

Instead of Howieson, Carswell and Gow. f**king brilliant.

Guest TPAFKATS

True, but surely there's also a limit on how many seagulls can crap on Falkirks players prior to a game. They've used up a decades worth of good luck this season.

I think we should go down the Warburton route of signing policy as per Joey Barton

" We cant compete with wages down south but I think he is sold on the place"

Geez- Roll them up from Liverpool, United and Chelsea, let them see our facilities, our Ralston training complex, where the grass is green and the air is blue.

The supporters, the Abbey, the Paisley Centre. All this and £500 a week.

Be a fking queue.

Clarkson GTMcDonalds

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Long interview below with DC about his injury. The paper are going to be following him for the next few months as he recovers. Poor guy, I think I'd forgotten how bad his injury was. Not expected to returnl for another 9-12 months.

The only mention of the situation with Saints is that his contract runs out on Wednesday.

http://files.heraldscotland.com/sport/15313990.EXCLUSIVE_David_Clarkson__I_ve_had_to_learn_to_walk_again/

16 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Long interview below with DC about his injury. The paper are going to be following him for the next few months as he recovers. Poor guy, I think I'd forgotten how bad his injury was. Not expected to returnl for another 9-12 months.

The only mention of the situation with Saints is that his contract runs out on Wednesday.

http://files.heraldscotland.com/sport/15313990.EXCLUSIVE_David_Clarkson__I_ve_had_to_learn_to_walk_again/

Perhaps not a popular opinion but if he compliments the current squad well and has been doing scouting work for the side that Jack Ross is happy with, then I think we should perhaps give him a year as a coach/scout if there's a space for another and allow Clarkson to make a positive out of this and use the next year to further any aspirations he has on that side whilst also recovering.

If he feels he can play football at some level again, use our facilities to rehabilitate whilst actively contributing to the coaching/scouting staff next season and allow him to go and find his next club next summer.

Absolutely no issues with that, I'd imagine. I don't envisage a situation where Jack will cut him loose completely.

Get shot of him. No point being soft about it, we need the wage for a player / staff.

Clarkson was finished before the injury, he won't be anywhere near this level when he is back. Didn't even bother to keep himself fit and in good shape while playing. Time for him to move on and get his coaching certificates or join the rest of us in "the real world".

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Perhaps not a popular opinion but if he compliments the current squad well and has been doing scouting work for the side that Jack Ross is happy with, then I think we should perhaps give him a year as a coach/scout if there's a space for another and allow Clarkson to make a positive out of this and use the next year to further any aspirations he has on that side whilst also recovering.

If he feels he can play football at some level again, use our facilities to rehabilitate whilst actively contributing to the coaching/scouting staff next season and allow him to go and find his next club next summer.

Absolutely no issues with that, I'd imagine. I don't envisage a situation where Jack will cut him loose completely.

Difficult one.

I'm sympathetic to this position, but also see where Kemp is coming from. Bottom line is that his contract is up, so we don't really owe him anything. We don't have the luxury of being able to carry folk who aren't contributing, but if, as you suggest, there could be an alternative role for him, it could be considered.

To be honest, I didn't see the sense in giving him a contract last summer, so can't pretend that I would be put out to see him go.

Edited by Drew

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Difficult one.

I'm sympathetic to this position, but also see where Kemp is coming from. Bottom line is that his contract is up, so we don't really owe him anything. We don't have the luxury of being able to carry folk who aren't contributing, but if, as you suggest, there could be an alternative role for him, it could be considered.

To be honest, I didn't see the sense in giving him a contract last summer, so can't pretend that I would be put out to see him go.

Me neither. As of a few days ago I was all for punting him until Stu pointed out that he'd been doing some work with regards to scouting and is apparently doing OK in that regard.

If he's an asset in that sense, we should keep hold if it makes financial sense. Whilst I wish him all the best in getting back on the pitch and sincerely hope he manages this, I have no desire to see him play for us again, nor will he.

I would like to think the club would try and do something for him since he was employed by the club at the time the injury happen. A fair option for me is to offer him a 6 month deal at a wage around our lower paid player gets. This would take him to January when he should be able to play again or look for employment outside the game.

big McGregor sat out 2 seasons full pay,and we all no what he did when he was fit,when did Clarkson get injured?December /January,so he had 5 months wages already for nothing,end of contract,must go,he rotten anyway and we done plenty for him already,Ave been in my work for 10 years and we don't get paid,and a have mortgage car baby etc,would my company feel sorry for me,no chance,get real(world)

We gave Hugh Murray a new 1 year deal in similar circumstances where it looked like he might not be offered an extension until he picked up a bad injury and it allowed him to get fit and find a new club not longer after he was fit and play on for another few seasons at a lower level. If we hadn't given Shuggie a deal and he found himself without a club with a long term injury he might have struggled to get a new club with a bad injury when the transfer window was open.

Terrible news for Clarkston regarding his injury, wish him well & hopefully makes a full recovery.

With regards to us offering him a contract, not a chance, we don't owe him anything. He's been with us a couple of seasons and imo has failed to impress. We don't have the resources to be wasting our playing budget on someone who will most likely never appear in a saints jersey ever again.

It may sound harsh but there's no room to be sentimental here, he's not really done anything for the club. It's very unfortunate for David but that's life.

However, if we are actually looking for a scout & he fits the bill then fair enough if he was given the job.