David Clarkson

He admits himself in interview on website that he needs a good pre season under his belt and there's a lot more to come from him , if I remember correctly he had a great start to the season with Dundee something like 8 goals in 8 games , so hopefully he can replicate that with us !

I thought his link up play was excellent if he can add goals then great

Happy with this. Good pre season under his belt and a run of games and he'll be a good addition.

Obviously needs to add more goals but his link up play at times was superb.

^^^^This is it really^^^^

A decent player, who did have a certain goal scoring nous, at the top level in Scotland. What's to say he'll not be a good player for us next season ? Not imo a gamble, you are looking at a certain return , a team contribution likely as opposed to certain ghosts I could mention. He's a tried and tested sort, with some mileage to go. Better than buying some flash old runaboutverylittle banger........................................whistling.gif

Hoping that with a good pre-season and better midfield to supply our forwards with chances that Clarkson will have a good season with us next year. I think Alex Rae knows how to put a promotion challenging team together and what is required and has seen enough in Clarkson's loan spell to think he can do us a turn next year.

Didn't realise he was only 30.

Rae has already indicated he won't tolerate anything less than 100%.

He won't be our main striker, but should play an important part in supporting whoever fills that role.

Again, hardly an earth shattering signing, but if we get a fitter and more motivated player as a result of our management team's sustained input, then he should do fine.

Guest TPAFKATS

Echo what most have said above. We definitely looked a better team after Clarkson arrived and we scored a lot more goals, but he didn't score enough for me and towards the end of the season I was pretty non-plussed about him playing or not playing to be honest.

With a good pre-season behind him maybe we can get an Indian Summer out of him this season. Fingers crossed!

Suspect he had his Indian summer at Dundee. Hope I'm wrong!

Only 30 years old - wow :-o

This is not the worst signing news.

New season, new team mates around him , new hope as far as I'm concerned.

Roll on next season, possibly the strongest 2nd tier we've ever had, yet oddly perhaps the most even with regards to teams.

If as has already been said we get off to a half decent start ( doesn't need to be amazing ) and hit the ground running I believe we have an exciting and potentially very interesting season ahead.

Can't wait and anyone who is signed needs a chance to pull on the strip ( Like Clarkson has ) before judging.

COYS

One year deal, well worth a punt.

Glad to see Rae getting his business done early - felt that Craig & Murray were kinda overtaken by events. Get the core of the team built ASAP and keep back a few spondulicks for whomsoever might be available towards the end of August.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Good signing. The signings of him, Quinn and Irvine were key in our upturn in fortune last season and I'm delighted they are all there next season. Clarkson in particular brought energy and work-rate to the forward line and was instrumental in making Shankland a better player.

It's actually quite amazing (yet unsurprising) how many of our fans don't seem to realise that.

You way some people go on you'd think we suddenly turned into Barcelona after the January window.

In the real world, we didn't, we remained a pretty poor side. Results improved against the likes of Alloa, Morton and Livi and performances got a better from a very low level under Murray. However, we never beat any of the top 4 and in several games we were extremely poor.

If we are going to be challenging at the top end of the league next year, we need to improve. And if we are going to improve, we need to get in forwards who can actually score goals on a regular basis.

Clarkson made 20 appearances for us and Motherwell last season, and scored 1 goal, not good enough in anyone's language. For that reason I hope he's only used as cover as I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter for a team at the top end of the Championship.