What An Absolute Shame For Decent Hibs Fans

shull

I thought the police did a very good job of gaining control of the situation. I have a mate who works for G4S. He gets paid very little for working as a steward and has often said he isn't paid enough to put himself in direct danger. There was no way the stewards or police could prevent the Hibs "fans" from getting onto the pitch.

Perhaps stadium design should be looked at but then again, apart from yesterday, when else was there an incident of somebody getting onto the pitch at Hampden?

I thought the police did a very good job of gaining control of the situation. I have a mate who works for G4S. He gets paid very little for working as a steward and has often said he isn't paid enough to put himself in direct danger. There was no way the stewards or police could prevent the Hibs "fans" from getting onto the pitch.

Perhaps stadium design should be looked at but then again, apart from yesterday, when else was there an incident of somebody getting onto the pitch at Hampden?

So what are stewards expecting to do at a football game... tell folks not to eat anything unless they have bought it in the stadium?

I'm not defending fans who fought opposing fans, or attacked or threatened players / coaching staff, stole camera equipment or broke goalposts... I thought my original post made that clear.

How many hundred / thousand police and stewards were on duty at the game? There should be no pitch invasion. As the game nears its completion its like a military operation with banks and banks of police moving into position to stop a pitch invasion.

You would also think that after the incident where a Hearts fan attacked Neil Lennon on the touchline that stewards and police are drilled to get players and staff off the pitch safely and if both sets of fans make it on to the pitch to try and keep them apart.

When St Mirren won the League Cup did SG not say that the clubs paid a share of the policing and stewarding costs for the semi finals and finals and that our share had run to a few hundred thousand quid?

Ok, lets look at how absurd your point is. There were 1,000 stewards and police officers in total at the match - 41,236 supporters in the ground. That's a potential 40 supporters to each steward or police officer, and lets not forget that many of those on duty would have been posted on traffic duty and at potential flashpoint area's outside the ground at full time. So to prevent every single fan getting on the pitch you're going to have to do something to put the odds more into the favour of those policing the fixture. Perhaps issuing stewards with machine guns might help, installing a shark infested moat around the pitch, or putting up the kind of crowd barriers that we haven't seen since the Hillsborough disaster? I'll let you choose.

I'm also told that stewards are instructed not to manhandle football fans as this can inflame a situation. Yet here you want each steward to "take out" multiple fans each to stop any progression onto the pitch. I hope those minimum wage students are up for the fight eh?

Both sets of fans should not have been on the pitch. The fact that they were is not down to stewarding or policing. It's down to pricks in both sets of supports who refused to behave themselves. The clubs sold those pricks the tickets so the SFA should come down like a tonne of bricks on those clubs, who hopefully will in turn come down like a tonne of bricks on any of their support that they can identify who are on the pitch. And people like you and I should be applauding the police and the stewards who somehow managed to respond quickly to restore order and who put their bodies on the line to separate large numbers of hooligan fans.

Ban both clubs from next years competition and fine both clubs well into six figures as a starter, and fine Kilmarnock too - or make them play a number of league matches behind closed doors - since their fans were stupid enough to encroach on the park at Rugby Park this afternoon too.

Then he should resign and find a job where he IS prepared to do the work he is being paid for.

Ok, lets look at how absurd your point is. There were 1,000 stewards and police officers in total at the match - 41,236 supporters in the ground. That's a potential 40 supporters to each steward or police officer, and lets not forget that many of those on duty would have been posted on traffic duty and at potential flashpoint area's outside the ground at full time. So to prevent every single fan getting on the pitch you're going to have to do something to put the odds more into the favour of those policing the fixture. Perhaps issuing stewards with machine guns might help, installing a shark infested moat around the pitch, or putting up the kind of crowd barriers that we haven't seen since the Hillsborough disaster? I'll let you choose.

I'm also told that stewards are instructed not to manhandle football fans as this can inflame a situation. Yet here you want each steward to "take out" multiple fans each to stop any progression onto the pitch. I hope those minimum wage students are up for the fight eh?

Both sets of fans should not have been on the pitch. The fact that they were is not down to stewarding or policing. It's down to pricks in both sets of supports who refused to behave themselves. The clubs sold those pricks the tickets so the SFA should come down like a tonne of bricks on those clubs, who hopefully will in turn come down like a tonne of bricks on any of their support that they can identify who are on the pitch. And people like you and I should be applauding the police and the stewards who somehow managed to respond quickly to restore order and who put their bodies on the line to separate large numbers of hooligan fans.

Ban both clubs from next years competition and fine both clubs well into six figures as a starter, and fine Kilmarnock too - or make them play a number of league matches behind closed doors - since their fans were stupid enough to encroach on the park at Rugby Park this afternoon too.

Given that only a 'tiny minority' of Rangers fans ran on to protect their players (ahem), and plenty of Hibs fans stayed in the stands I'm happy to go on record as not seeing the need to issue police with machine guns.

Will be interesting to see if any action is taken against the Killie manager as well running the length of some of the stands when goals were scored and putting scarves on police officers on duty 24 hours after the incident at Hampden.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

TBH I am getting a bit pissed off with this seamingly national trait of refusing to aim the blame at the correct people.

Nobody ever wants to take personal responsibility.

Anyone blaming the police for the collective decision of thiusands of people to enter the pitch is frankly an idiot.

I think you may be right about banning teams next year or having games behind closed doors.

I cant think of another option at the moment and Rangers seem intent on fuelling a grievance culture which is only going to caus further problems.

The Rangers should be sitting on the moral high ground after Saturday's events (if it's ever possible to sit there after singing the songs of hate and letting off a few smoke bombs), but they've managed to turn themselves into even more of a laughing stock with that statement.

If they'd come out and condemned the alleged attacks on their players and officials, and the actions of a minority of fans on both sides then most folk would have thought that as reasonable. But they seem intent of pandering to the lowest common denominator and fanning the flames of paranoia amongst their support.

Whoever has written that statement obviously has some grievances/agendas against a number of individuals and organisations. For that to be issued as an official statement from any football club is embarrassing.

Given that only a 'tiny minority' of Rangers fans ran on to protect their players (ahem), and plenty of Hibs fans stayed in the stands I'm happy to go on record as not seeing the need to issue police with machine guns.

Will be interesting to see if any action is taken against the Killie manager as well running the length of some of the stands when goals were scored and putting scarves on police officers on duty 24 hours after the incident at Hampden.

I think you have lost the plot completely and seem incapable of looking at the whole incident. bye1.gif

As for the highlighted part..................FFS!

The Rangers should be sitting on the moral high ground after Saturday's events (if it's ever possible to sit there after singing the songs of hate and letting off a few smoke bombs), but they've managed to turn themselves into even more of a laughing stock with that statement.

If they'd come out and condemned the alleged attacks on their players and officials, and the actions of a minority of fans on both sides then most folk would have thought that as reasonable. But they seem intent of pandering to the lowest common denominator and fanning the flames of paranoia amongst their support.

Whoever has written that statement obviously has some grievances/agendas against a number of individuals and organisations. For that to be issued as an official statement from any football club is embarrassing.

Agreed.

This "siege" mentality, while papering over the part played by Rangers support, is quite unbelievable.

Also the silence, I haven't seen/heard much from Hibs, is as unbelievable.

It's just as well both teams are in separate leagues next year as the current feeling, I read quite a number of posts on the Hibs forum yesterday and have seen some similar nonsense on Facebook from Rangers supporters, would cause the authorities a considerable headache.

It'll be interesting what action is taken by the authorities.

2013 was only St Mirrens second major cup win in my lifetime. 1987 was the first.

On both occasions I was overcome with emotion.

On both ocassions I witnessed my team do a lap of honour... one of the most memorable parts of both wins.

Only happened because on neither occasion did I or my fellow fans translate overwhelming emotion into a pitch invasion!

Absolutely NO excuse for that. Did Ross County invade the pitch after their first ever major cup win?

Stop the excuses and accept that nowadays, fans on the pitch are unacceptable unless you are Darren McGregor and wearing a strip!

I was happy for Hibs to win... But boy has the subsequent reaction and then defence of it fair turned attitudes against what should have been an all time high.

To the decent Hibs fans I say... Condemn the tadgers... Confess the crime... And enjoy your well earned victory.

To those making excuses...

Your team deserves better!

IMO there should have been a better plan in place. There's no way to stop thousands of fans going onto the pitch and they should have anticipated that this was a strong possibility.

They should have created the barrier on the half way line as soon as the fans made their way for the pitch, it took far too long for this to happen.

IMO there should have been a better plan in place. There's no way to stop thousands of fans going onto the pitch and they should have anticipated that this was a strong possibility.

They should have created the barrier on the half way line as soon as the fans made their way for the pitch, it took far too long for this to happen.

There was no chance the barrier could have been in place due to the speed this happened............

10-15 seconds after Hibs support spilled over they were at the half way line.

15-30 seconds the whole of the Hibs half had fans in almost every part.

30-40 seconds Hibs fans were well over the half way line.

40-60 a massive amount of Hibs fans were heading towards the Rangers end..............camera angle didn't show Rangers fans reaction until around 1 min 30 seconds, by that time it was chaos with Rangers fans spilling onto the park to confront the Hibs fans

As has been said, the police/stewards done a very good job in diffusing this as quick as they did with seemingly few casualties. .

2013 was only St Mirrens second major cup win in my lifetime. 1987 was the first.

On both occasions I was overcome with emotion.

On both ocassions I witnessed my team do a lap of honour... one of the most memorable parts of both wins.

Only happened because on neither occasion did I or my fellow fans translate overwhelming emotion into a pitch invasion!

Absolutely NO excuse for that. Did Ross County invade the pitch after their first ever major cup win?

Stop the excuses and accept that nowadays, fans on the pitch are unacceptable unless you are Darren McGregor and wearing a strip!

I was happy for Hibs to win... But boy has the subsequent reaction and then defence of it fair turned attitudes against what should have been an all time high.

To the decent Hibs fans I say... Condemn the tadgers... Confess the crime... And enjoy your well earned victory.

To those making excuses...

Your team deserves better!

Don't concern yourself about punishing Hibs or their decent supporters. The fact is that the club name is being dragged though the gutter and the cup victory is being remembered as a fans invasion that ended up with fighting, the pitch dug up, goalposts destroyed, mounted police on the pitch and their team unable to do a lap of honour.

No matter what happens regarding official punishment they have administered their own kamikaze punishment. This was complete madness and if you look at the pictures there must have been around 1 to 4 thousand of them on the pitch.

It doesn't matter if they apologise now, the damage is done.

Totally, they wait 114 years and then disgrace not only themselves but the nation.

It was 77 at wembley, and 1980 with Old Firm. That's 36 years ago.

Ruined what was a great game.

And if evidence is found that any supporter touched a gers player or official, then the result should be voided . I thought we had stamped out morons who invade.

Mind you as is was The Rangers, what happened to the non sectarian singing sanction?

Totally, they wait 114 years and then disgrace not only themselves but the nation.

And if evidence is found that any supporter touched a gers player or official, then the result should be voided . I thought we had stamped out morons who invade.

Mind you as is was The Rangers, what happened to the non sectarian singing sanction?

What utter drivel! What has the actions of morons got to do with the result of the game? IF punishment is to be dished out then it should be "going forward" with fines and bans from competitions. Nothing was done that affected the result so nothing should be done that impacts on the players or the management.

What total pish !! 1eye.gif

Sadly you have to plan for the worst, you can make contingencies for this that and the next thing, however short of building a moat round the pitch and installing razor wire, how was anyone stopping that pitch invasion. Putting lots of stewards, many just eighteen year old girls and boys on minimum wage in a hi vis jacket, in front of a tsunami of a surging crowd, nope don't think so.

Bottom line, football attracts an increased proportion of knuckledraggers much more than any other sport that has followers in numbers, the result, stupidity, crappy behaviours in a mob mentality that are fuelled by petty small minded idiotic morons, trying to be the big man in a crowd ! Imo the match was a certain risk as all matches are that involve the Glasgow clubs in particular, but we don't need to go there.................

I do understand exuberance, I recall plenty St mIrren fans invading Ayr United's pitch , but I dont recall the fans goading and fighting and behaving in an aggressive or threatening manner.

Problem was significant numbers of Hibs fans had an agenda that was more about provocation than genuine celebration. Result, come ahead then, response, aye all right then, biff !!!! Result, fighting and disorder.............

I think the pictures once again proved that some alleged 'football fans' are simply right stoopit thick nasty cnunts, just muppets that love a scrap ! Saturday could have been way worse in terms of casualties without much more going wrong.

Until football gets rid of the morons ( impossible imo ) this kind of issue will always be there. Its crap, but a last minute winner against the 'bigger team' was always going to generate some form of reaction, sadly we got a right moronic reaction from enough folk to completely tarnish what was up until that point, for once a reasonably decent advert for Scottish football.

Sadly you have to plan for the worst, you can make contingencies for this that and the next thing, however short of building a moat round the pitch and installing razor wire, how was anyone stopping that pitch invasion. Putting lots of stewards, many just eighteen year old girls and boys on minimum wage in a hi vis jacket, in front of a tsunami of a surging crowd, nope don't think so.

Bottom line, football attracts an increased proportion of knuckledraggers much more than any other sport that has followers in numbers, the result, stupidity, crappy behaviours in a mob mentality that are fuelled by petty small minded idiotic morons, trying to be the big man in a crowd ! Imo the match was a certain risk as all matches are that involve the Glasgow clubs in particular, but we don't need to go there.................

I do understand exuberance, I recall plenty St mIrren fans invading Ayr United's pitch , but I dont recall the fans goading and fighting and behaving in an aggressive or threatening manner.

Problem was significant numbers of Hibs fans had an agenda that was more about provocation than genuine celebration. Result, come ahead then, response, aye all right then, biff !!!! Result, fighting and disorder.............

I think the pictures once again proved that some alleged 'football fans' are simply right stoopit thick nasty cnunts, just muppets that love a scrap ! Saturday could have been way worse in terms of casualties without much more going wrong.

Until football gets rid of the morons ( impossible imo ) this kind of issue will always be there. Its crap, but a last minute winner against the 'bigger team' was always going to generate some form of reaction, sadly we got a right moronic reaction from enough folk to completely tarnish what was up until that point, for once a reasonably decent advert for Scottish football.

Good post. The only issue I'd take with it is that St Mirren fans who were on the pitch in Inverness or Ayr or anywhere else were just as moronic.

Football is tribalistic but if we stop excusing the misdemeanours of our own then perhaps we can start to sort the mess. All over Facebook today I've got mares who are Rangers fans defending people they don't know who were on the pitch on Saturday. Why? Why claim that Rangers fans wouldn't punch a horse when clearly one did. Why claim Rangers fans wouldn't attack a child when the videos prove one did?

St Mirren have their share of dick heads who thought it was funny to go on the pitch to celebrate every goal in 2005. Right minded fans should have put them straight but that didn't happen. Keep ALL fans off the pitch and let's see hefty punishments for clubs that fail to control their support