Alex Rae Latest Signings Update

We not talking about more than a decade ago? tongue.png

We only seem to hear about players we were going to sign before an agent took them elsewhere. Would be interesting to know what players were going to sign for other clubs before an agent brought them us - mainly so we can blacklist said agents after some of the pish we've had in the last few years.

A decade isn't a long time when you're my age....

We have to assume that Alex knows exactly what to expect of agents. The behaviour of this one seems more scummy than normal.

Well we dont know that do we?

And I am way too old to be taking the side of any one party based purely on their view of things.

Edited by oaksoft

I don't necessarily agree with agents playing clubs off each especially if they have no intention of their clients ever going to a club but understand that it goes on in this day when money is tight and getting the best deal possible is key. However agents have to tread carefully as Scottish football is a small world and I guess if you get a reputation for messing clubs about then surely and unless there is perfect signing out there, Alex and St Mirren and probably the rest of the clubs on limited and precious budgets just stop answering their calls until they stop it.

The power remains on the club side every time.

End of day, players who want to play for St. Mirren will undoubtedly find the right deal that works with or without an agent's interference or meddling.

Indeed, Clubs have total power.

Just need to set a sensible wage structure and stick to it rigidly.

Agents can then only say yes or no.

Absolutely no negotiations to the detriment of the Club.

Looks like their was a mass frontal lobotomy session carried out yesterday, or did I miss National stupidity day?

It's quite clear to me that Rae has a problem with a couple of agents who he feels let him down badly i.e. they blatantly lied to him.

I must have missed his sweeping statement that all agents are evil, and that he has fallen out with every agent on the planet due to their nefarious negotiating tactics.

I recall David Barron turning down a 3 year contract offer from us on the advice of his agent. This was the season after he won player of the year. His agent promised him a much better deal elsewhere, he then suffered a bad injury which he never really fully recovered. Had he signed the contract that we had offered him he would have had 3 years security with an option of us selling him on.

His agent effectively screwed him.

I recall David Barron turning down a 3 year contract offer from us on the advice of his agent. This was the season after he won player of the year. His agent promised him a much better deal elsewhere, he then suffered a bad injury which he never really fully recovered. Had he signed the contract that we had offered him he would have had 3 years security with an option of us selling him on.

His agent effectively screwed him.

But his advice done is a big favour!

The agent was un-named by Rae, so he's hardly going to be raging about it. The agent may realise he shouldn't mess around with Alex, or possibly there is not much of a story here at all: an un-named agent offered 2 un-named players to St Mirren and then they signed for another un-named club in an un-named league... good luck with checking out the details on that one!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

This is nonsense TBH.

Alex has every right to be annoyed but he also needs to understand that this happens in everyday life. I certainly have aggressively played employers off against each other in the past and would do so again. It's the only way to get to life changing salaries or the best professsional opportunities. The idea that I would give the losing employer a second thought is laughable.

The player and the agent have every right to maximise their income. Alex has every right to minimise his wages bill.

Maybe Alex can learn not to give this type of player more than a couple of days to make his mind up before giving up.

Either way, I don't understand why Alex is burning bridges with agents and complaining in the public eye. Neither of these will do him any good. It might have worked at Rangers or some other teams he's been at where a grievance culture runs deep but it won't work at this club where we EXPECT this sort of thing and we don't generally want to hear unless he makes a signing.

It's not pleasant but IMO he needs to just get on with it and be a bit less vocal about it.

:lol:

Walter Mitty and the imaginary employers getting played off against each other

All in oaksoft's head! :lol: