Aaron Mooy

Just now, mcdowell76 said:

I love these pointless debates! :lol:

I can't see how not starting Loy would be a reason for sacking the manager.

Loy had no pedigree at that point so how could folk possibly know if was any good?

He'd spent the previous season on loan at Dunfermline in the division below us. He was on the bench for most of that season and only made 18 appearances, scoring 3 goals.

It wasn't until 3 years later that he eventually hit the jackpot and regularly scored goals. However, it was again in the lower division. He's had only 1 season of relative top flight success in his career and he's now 29, scoring 9 league goals in 15/16 with Dundee. He was out of favour last season clearly however.

And St. Mirren had strikers like Higdon, Dargo, Mehmet and even used Dorman up front with some success late on that season.

Not to mention that we finished in a league position that we hadn't beaten in a quarter of a century, reached our first League Cup final in over 40 years and inflicted our biggest league defeat on Celtic in over 100 years!

I've already explained that using Loy as an underage (forgot that) time wasting substitute when we already had the chaff to fulfil this role was part of his ongoing feud with Youth Coach Longwell and indicative of the breakdown of his relationships within the club.

.............and this debate is not pointless, if I wasn't doing this I'd be sticking a fork up a socket or something equally constructive. :death

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I've already explained that using Loy as an underage (forgot that) time wasting substitute when we already had the chaff to fulfil this role was part of his ongoing feud with Youth Coach Longwell and indicative of the breakdown of his relationships within the club.

.............and this debate is not pointless, if I wasn't doing this I'd be sticking a fork up a socket or something equally constructive. :death

Ah, right. Got the wrong end of your point!

In that case, at least Loy has gone on to become a relatively successful professional. So much so that many on this forum are desperate for him to sign.

Which "chaff" did he displace who has subsequently went on to do that?

I seem to remember a lad called Burns getting a run out as a sub late in a game and he made one half decent run and cross which subsequently had many on this forum hailing him as the next Messi. There was then an almightly meltdown when he was back being used as a ballboy the following week! :lol:

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Gotta love the nutters on this forum and that's not intended as an insult 'cos I'm just as detached from reality as you. :wacko::clapping

Signing Loy as a time wasting substitute was one of the reasons GM got the sack. His working relationships with the Development Coach Longwell had clearly broken down - I'd have sacked Longwell but one of them had to go, that it was MacPherson just indicates that he had upset too many people within the club.

In the spirit of this thread I demand that we dig up Jimmy Bone's body and dismember it for selling Paul Lambert to Motherwell for Jim Gardiner and three ginger bottles!

Bone is no deid yet so he cant be dug up :lol: 

On the subject of Mooy, the fact is that Bolton released him as well and no-one else in the UK appeared to be interesting in taking him after he left either Bolton or St. Mirren.

You could actually argue that Danny Lennon is a genius cos he is the manager of who most recognised his obvious £10 million potential!

Edited by mcdowell76

Mooy only became a player of this value when someone took him aside and said look son you're never going to be an attacking force, play to your strengths and do the simple things in the middle of the park. Probably someone at Melbourne. A bit like what happened to Paul Lambert when he went to Dortmund. Now Mooy is in a groove where he knows exactly what his job is on a football park, almost playing a different sport to the one he played with us and every time he goes out there he does it to good effect. 

I have to say, i'm as shocked as everyone else though as I remember his first touch being awful and he was always off the pace of the game up here.

Edited by YardleyBoom

50 minutes ago, YardleyBoom said:

Mooy only became a player of this value when someone took him aside and said look son you're never going to be an attacking force, play to your strengths and do the simple things in the middle of the park. Probably someone at Melbourne. A bit like what happened to Paul Lambert when he went to Dortmund. Now Mooy is in a groove where he knows exactly what his job is on a football park, almost playing a different sport to the one he played with us and every time he goes out there he does it to good effect. 

I have to say, i'm as shocked as everyone else though as I remember his first touch being awful and he was always off the pace of the game up here.

It was a few pintspints.jpg.ba74fda8cd1171819a6a916eba1a6fa8.jpg of the ...... fosters.jpg.1adefb04cc5686a46d2f94bc753df3ec.jpg  that did it

Guest TPAFKATS
Maybe Kyle Hutton will emerge as a £10 million star in the future then?....

Again?
The Govan muppets already had him pinned as a multi million star of the future when he broke through with them

For the knickerwetters among us (I trust you know who you are), does it help to soften the blow that the ENTIRE f**kING NATION OF AUSTRALIA is having the same conversation about losing an asset for free?!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/19/likely-big-money-aaron-mooy-move-sets-alarm-bells-ringing-in-a-league

Manchester City will bank that Australian record transfer fee as pure profit after they signed the midfielder for nothing from their stablemate, Melbourne City. After proving his credentials in the Championship Mooy’s value has unquestionably risen, but it nonetheless raises some awkward questions over the ability of a $17m asset to leave the A-League without the competition receiving any direct compensation.

The absence of transfer fees between A-League clubs means Melbourne City can sign a player like Mooy for nothing and then gift him to Manchester, only for the parent organisation to receive a fee when the player’s registration is eventually transferred to a club outside the group’s ownership. It is a brilliant investment strategy, pump primed by the best facilities, coaching staff and scouting networks to incubate talent. The CFG has effectively turned the A-League into a de facto academy.

• 2 months later...
Just now, Balmullo Bud said:

Just awarded Man of the match on Sky against Newcastle.

Not surprised, could see had the lot when he was with us, just a pity our management team at the time couldn't see it.

Other than that rocket against Rangers he spent most of his time in Paisley on a exercise bike sadly.

When we signed him, I had high hopes that he was a star in the making. It's sadly happened after his St. Mirren career, where he has moved back to his homeland to play, added to his caps and waited for the opportunity of a big move happening, which he has now been rewarded with. Best of luck to 'the one that got away'.

Guest TPAFKATS
Not surprised, could see had the lot when he was with us, just a pity our management team at the time couldn't see it.
Other than that rocket against Rangers he spent most of his time in Paisley on a exercise bike sadly.

Not sure it was necessarily their fault. Although I'd happily blame Tommy Craig if I burn my toast.

• 2 months later...