Ian Murray Interview

The general feeling I get from various chats with people at the club over the last year was that Murray was as detatched as possible. He came in, did his job, then left. He only engaged with people he really had to and for that reason he wasn't popular.

Alex Rae on the other hand is entirely the opposite by all accounts. He's well liked but at the same time very driven. Knows exactly what he wants and sets high demands on those around him.

Really hope he can be a success with us. It feels like the sort of bloke we need at the helm right now.

To add to Dibbles paperboy. There was almost a chasm between the midfield and the forwards. That area where you expect a player to drop for the ball or to pick up the ball deep and run into simply wasn't happening under Murray.

If we were a strong defensive unit that fed off scraps, I could at least understand but the level of standing off is definitely the worst I've ever seen in a St. Mirren side.

Rae gave us that dig almost immediately.

When Murray talks about "the budget" I think he's talking about the playing budget. Our overall budget with the parachute payment would probably be third or fourth in the division. However, how many of our peers have a training ground to fund, as large a youth setup as us and as heavy an involvement in community initiatives as we seem to have. All of that eats into the available monies. So he may be right about these clubs paying more.

As for the comments about wages I think many underestimate what players are paid as a basic in the championship. I'm sure many are on over £1K a week basic.

Although not everyone's first pick (certainly not mine), he was a perfectly logical appointment. He was the fans choice.

For whatever reason it never worked out. He was rightly sacked and we have moved on. That's football, every appointment is a gamble.

Yes, most of what you say is true. However, he wasn't the choice of every fan.

My point is that not everyone agreed with the appointment and were subsequently abused by the usual suspects on this forum... despite the fact they were proved correct.

So you think its okay to abuse fellow supporters for voicing a perfectly reasonable opinion?

No surprise to see that Tony Sporano thinks its okay. He's one of the forum's top abusers.

Yes, most of what you say is true. However, he wasn't the choice of every fan.

My point is that not everyone agreed with the appointment and were subsequently abused by the usual suspects on this forum... despite the fact they were proved correct.

So you think its okay to abuse fellow supporters for voicing a perfectly reasonable opinion?

No surprise to see that Tony Sporano thinks its okay. He's one of the forum's top abusers.

Who the f**k is Tony Sporano?

Is he the new Dogfather?

The general feeling I get from various chats with people at the club over the last year was that Murray was as detatched as possible. He came in, did his job, then left. He only engaged with people he really had to and for that reason he wasn't popular.

Alex Rae on the other hand is entirely the opposite by all accounts. He's well liked but at the same time very driven. Knows exactly what he wants and sets high demands on those around him.

Really hope he can be a success with us. It feels like the sort of bloke we need at the helm right now.

I've played in three Fan Council golf days at Paisley GC. Under Danny Lennon, Danny came into the clubhouse and mingled with fans, happy to chat and put himself about. Ian Murray walked into the clubhouse and sat in a quiet corner with a coffee looking at his mobile phone.

I thought appointing Murray was a good move at the time. Thought he might be the next young Scottish manager on a career upward path.

That moment at the golf day, I figured differently.

I've heard similar stories as above. Apparently he would walk about the training ground with his earphones in and possibly had very little respect from the players. Supposedly players would chat back and argue with him but there's no chance they'd do that with Rae.

Indeed.

Not sure why there is a specific dig at Graeme MacPherson in there, though.

Thought that completely uncalled for, it's not as though it was an opinion piece. Graeme is a journalist and has written an article based around an interview with a former manager. Just because he has scribed Murray's words doesn't mean he has made them up himself.

I would imagine SGG is definitely unhappy at the suggestion that we had the smallest budget of the full time teams in the league for a start, as well as the board being apportioned blame for relegation (mind you, duff managerial appointments and selling McLean on transfer deadline day...) and the team's performance during Murray's tenure. Basically Murray was claiming he is a good manager but circumstances behind the scenes were so bad he was bound to fail. To me there were a lot of obvious responses to Murray's statements and maybe SGG is peeved that supermac didn't ask those questions. As I said in an earlier post Murray had the perfect opportunity to rebuild the club with so many players out of contract last summer, had free reign to choose his own number two, and made a spectacular mess of it. 1st signing Gow, Thommo next, Agnew third, bring in Spalding and sign the Burnley U20's... it took him until the window was almost shut before he began signing anyone decent and by then the promotion play off places were already almost out of sight and the only play off places we were heading for were the relegation ones.

Thought that completely uncalled for, it's not as though it was an opinion piece. Graeme is a journalist and has written an article based around an interview with a former manager. Just because he has scribed Murray's words doesn't mean he has made them up himself.

Aye.

Obviously history there and Gilmour has an axe to grind.

Edited by Drew

Not sure Gilmour is saying McPherson was fabricating. Just that he perhaps should have investigated before writing a piece that may not be factual. A good journalist might have done so. Though perhaps even he did.

Edited by stlucifer