Ian Murray Interview

Maybe SGG might have expected SMFC to have a chance to reply to Murray's claims?

What's stopping them doing that now?

I read the Tweet as Gilmour effectively accusing GMac of making up at least elements of the story.

They have an official website and could issue a statement in response to Murray's claims any time they like.

Not sure Gilmour is saying McPherson was fabricating. Just that he perhaps should have investigated before writing a piece that may not be factual. A good journalist might have done so. Though perhaps even he did.

Gilmour accuses MacPherson of writing "fiction rather than fact, again!" Note the use of "again". Suggests history, as I said before.

I've always found GMac's St Mirren related writings to be generally positive in tone in respect of the club, and I can't recall anything hugely contentious. That said, I've certainly not read all of his stuff.

I read the Tweet as Gilmour effectively accusing GMac of making up at least elements of the story.

They have an official website and could issue a statement in response to Murray's claims any time they like.

Indeed, he seems to be inferring that Gmac is a serial offender at fictionalising in his columns, which is bordering on libel.

True, perhaps not all Herald readers would check the official website for a statement replying to the article, or perhaps he felt it was normal for the club to be asked for a comment in those sort of circumstances. I expect the official reply would have been along the lines of the club had a competitive budget and Murray was given the full support of the BoD throughout his disastrous time in charge and was given a few more months to turn things around after Spalding was fired / decided to leave by mutual consent and Miller was brought in / handpicked by Murray to mentor him, and in the end Murray chucked it before he was fired!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Dibbles old paperboy, on 04 Jun 2016 - 21:09, said:

"Hmmm Mr Murray" suggests the fiction in the article comes from the ex-manager (who no doubt go a pay out despite resigning).

The line about "fiction, rather than fact, again " was directed at "G Mac "

Not sure Gilmour is saying McPherson was fabricating. Just that he perhaps should have investigated before writing a piece that may not be factual. A good journalist might have done so. Though perhaps even he did.

It wasn't that kind of piece, though. The purpose wasn't to balance Murray's words with an alternative opinion, the article was about Murray's view of the club, and his alone, during his time at the helm. I dare say it was intentionally one-sided - that's how these pieces tend to work.

If the club, or indeed Mr Gilmour himself, wish to respond in kind, then that is their right. I suggest that may be a more mature option than sly digs at good journalists for doing nothing other than their job.

It wasn't that kind of piece, though. The purpose wasn't to balance Murray's words with an alternative opinion, the article was about Murray's view of the club, and his alone, during his time at the helm. I dare say it was intentionally one-sided - that's how these pieces tend to work.

If the club, or indeed Mr Gilmour himself, wish to respond in kind, then that is their right. I suggest that may be a more mature option than sly digs at good journalists for doing nothing other than their job.

Yeah was just going to make that point. It's not unusual to see a former manager have a dig at a former club or a former player slag off his old manager and most often these sorts of pieces aren't accompanied with a response from the other side. Sports journalism seems to pretty unique in that regard as you wouldn't get away with that in most other types of reporting!

I wonder if this is the contentious passage from Murray?

“Everyone had an opinion so it was hard to keep things under control. Sometimes I was finding out things [about the running of the club] second hand.

"People found it hard to hold their tongue at times when we were trying to keep something under wraps. I just found it difficult to do the things I wanted and when I did get to do certain things it rarely went as smoothly as I wanted."

I agree

The fact is that Ian Murray is a fanny and was an awful appointment.

Yet his appointment was widely welcomed on here and anyone who disagreed was abused.

You know who you are.

You deserve what you got.

There are no guarantees with any managerial appointments. Even some of the best have failed, Moyes at Man Utd, Jose at Chelsea last season and even Fergie was a baw hair from the boot after little success in his early Man Utd days.

Hindsight is one thing but the appointment of a young manager in Murray was no more a gamble than appointing a more experienced one. Look how well Mixu did at Dundee Utd or Jeffries at Dunfermline.

Murray has gone and you want rid of our new manager. If we sacked Rae after 6 months in the job then who on earth would want to come to manage us when there was an improvement in results post Murray?

There are no guarantees with any managerial appointments. Even some of the best have failed, Moyes at Man Utd, Jose at Chelsea last season and even Fergie was a baw hair from the boot after little success in his early Man Utd days.

Hindsight is one thing but the appointment of a young manager in Murray was no more a gamble than appointing a more experienced one. Look how well Mixu did at Dundee Utd or Jeffries at Dunfermline.

Murray has gone and you want rid of our new manager. If we sacked Rae after 6 months in the job then who on earth would want to come to manage us when there was an improvement in results post Murray?

Ned, don't you ever get sick biting?

It seems that's all you do. ????

The news reporter wouldnt go out his way to put a negative spin on a story, considering he is a saints fan. He has taken the story from Murrays perspective. If SG has an issue with it then chin the man he employed as manager last May. Murray to me seems like a guy just full of excuses and blaming everything and anyone but himself for failure

Edited by kevo_smfc

Easier if you could refrain from pointless replies, mate.

In your opinion that is? Surely this forum is open to differing views but you appear to be hell bent on being provocative for the sake of it. As I said, if you don't like what I post or find them pointless then simply ignore what I write rather than your personal retorts.

In your opinion that is? Surely this forum is open to differing views but you appear to be hell bent on being provocative for the sake of it. As I said, if you don't like what I post or find them pointless then simply ignore what I write rather than your personal retorts.

Indeed.

Enjoy yourself.

Retorts. ????

Indeed.

Not sure why there is a specific dig at Graeme MacPherson in there, though.

I'd almost be inclined to point out that GMac ran the anti-Argentinian story, they then pulled out and the club wasn't sold. But...hey...who knows...

I certainly don't trust a word he puts his name to anymore. The piece about the Argies was just as "one sided" as the IM one, with GMac seemingly incapable of trying to put together a well rounded piece. Journalism shouldn't be about going "aye, alright...here's your cheque".

I'd almost be inclined to point out that GMac ran the anti-Argentinian story, they then pulled out and the club wasn't sold. But...hey...who knows...

I certainly don't trust a word he puts his name to anymore. The piece about the Argies was just as "one sided" as the IM one, with GMac seemingly incapable of trying to put together a well rounded piece. Journalism shouldn't be about going "aye, alright...here's your cheque".

So you wanted the Argies in charge of the club? Aye, good one.

So you wanted the Argies in charge of the club? Aye, good one.

This'll be where I have to again point out that they didn't actually do anything illegal, at any point, in Chile. Nothing whatsoever was against the regulations in place at the time. Hell, Man City sign players and move them on the next bloody day too. A fair few have never and will never play for City.

I'm not saying it would have been brilliant, but I also don't think we'd have been sold on, ended up as Rangers Light or been playing as Saint Mirren Amateurs at a bombed out Ralston on a blaze park in 3 years time.