Ben Gordon

Entire career in 2nd or 3rd division. Cant say I am over enthusiastic. Hope I am wrong. No-one on here seems to remember him and we must have seen him. Cant have made much of an impression.

There's always one, give him a chance.

Entire career in 2nd or 3rd division. Cant say I am over enthusiastic. Hope I am wrong. No-one on here seems to remember him and we must have seen him. Cant have made much of an impression.

Mark Yardley? Think he did ok when he came to us from lower league. We are not a premiere league club so have to deal in our own and lower leagues.

*hides behind sofa*

Not saying I disagree, however.

Don't think it's that controversial to claim that John Potter was a very good Championship centre half and decent SPL centre half.

He overstayed his welcome at SPL level for at least two years though. Doesn't mean he wasn't a very good acquisition.

Don't think it's that controversial to claim that John Potter was a very good Championship centre half and decent SPL centre half.

He overstayed his welcome at SPL level for at least two years though. Doesn't mean he wasn't a very good acquisition.

I think it is fair to say that he split opinion.

From BG on OS :) ....

“It’s a great club, I’m well aware of the history of it and I’m just happy to have signed for such a good club.

“I was out of contract at Livingston and decided to take my time and weigh up my options but as soon as I heard St Mirren were interested there wasn’t really much of a decision to be made on my part. When an offer was made I didn’t really have much time to think about it but I didn’t really need to.

Ben-Gordon-St-Mirren-Youth-240x300.jpg“I’ve played in the Championship for three years and feel like I’ve held my own. Wherever I’ve gone I’ve played every week and I think experience can be helpful in football so if I can use that to my benefits then I will.

“I don’t think there’s any doubt it’s going to be an exciting league with Dundee United coming down and the teams staying in the league like Hibs and Falkirk as well – there’s no doubt it’s up there with the Premiership in terms of attraction to players. I’m looking forward to playing against the top teams and testing myself.

“I think everyone playing at St Mirren has to be ambitious and look up the way. I’m not going to look too far ahead. I’m just going to take it one step at a time, get myself into pre-season, get as fit as I can be and look to play every week for St Mirren.”

Good signing, we have needed more centre backs for a while anyway and it's good to see us signing those with a bit of experience (not Plummer). I would rather we signed younger players but we need players who can get us out the championship right now.

Welcome Ben!

Yeah, and it almost put the club out of business.

I thought that someone had looked into our outgoings and incomings over a lengthy 'Stickroth-Victor-Archibald-Wishart-Torfason' period in our history and deduced that the money we brought in (in transfer fees) actually exceeded the fees we paid. Pretty sure it was relatively recently on here somewhere. If we nearly went out of business surely then it couldn't have been down to a handsome big German George Michael and an Icelandic cult hero.

Edited by pozbaird

I thought that someone had looked into our outgoings and incomings over a lengthy 'Stickroth-Victor-Archibald-Wishart-Torfason' period in our history and deduced that the money we brought in (in transfer fees) actually exceeded the fees we paid. Pretty sure it was relatively recently on here somewhere. If we nearly went out of business surely then it couldn't have been down to a handsome big German George Michael and an Icelandic cult hero.

I'm sure the outgoings didn't include ridiculous signing on fees and hugely exorbitant wage packages.

The amounts involved would make your toes curl.

This period was one of the major reasons behind our near demise.

I'm sure the outgoings didn't include ridiculous signing on fees and hugely exorbitant wage packages.

The amounts involved would make your toes curl.

This period was one of the major reasons behind our near demise.

Good point. Still loved big Guni and George Michael though. Some of the others...

Did we not give some has-been a big signing on fee about the same time ?, some ex Sellick player , can't mind his name.

Edit to add .......Was it Mark Reid?

Edited by linwood buddie

Guest TPAFKATS

Did we not give some has-been a big signing on fee about the same time ?, some ex Sellick player , can't mind his name.

Edit to add .......Was it Mark Reid?

Possibly Lex Baillie?

Graeme Sinclair?

Roy Aitken was signed 91/92

All of the above, although Aitken was decent.

Graeme Sinclair didn't get a huge signing-on fee as we got him on a free in 1985 and he played in the pre-season tournament in the Isle of Man, on rock hard pitches hat ruined quite a few careers, his included. The Consultant told him if he tried to keep on playing he would end up in a wheelchair.

Baillie and Reid joined in 1991 and we paid about £100,000 for Baillie but Hay was desperate to sign Reid so he convinced the board to dig deep as he was available on a free but had a few tasty offers (apparently). They did but the injuries he got playing for us finished his career also. That seemed to anger a lot of people and they classed him as a chancer - but before coming to us he had played over 200 matches for Charlton and mostly in the old First Division. Baillie played in most of our matches for about a season and a half before being dropped / injured (can't remember) and leaving for Dunfermline. I think the big problem people had with them both was the perceived wages they were on and, certainly in Baillie's case, they didn't perform for us.