John Sutton Returns

If Sutton does sign and stays fit and starts most games I think he's good enough at this level to score 15+ goals .

I think if Alex Rae gets a hair transplant and it takes he'll be good for six haircuts a year but I don't have anything to back this up whereas you have last season's exploits with Saintees to go on.... Oh. Wait a minute..... whistling.gif

If he was decent for the Fakes last season, then there would be no chance of him coming here. Another Premiership team would have been sniffing about.

It's the level we're at.

The thing is there is NOTHING t indicate he has anything to offer. Even at our level.

I think if Alex Rae gets a hair transplant and it takes he'll be good for six haircuts a year but I don't have anything to back this up whereas you have last season's exploits with Saintees to go on.... Oh. Wait a minute..... whistling.gif

How many goals did Thompson score the season before he came to us?

Just asking.

I have absolutely no idea what Sutton's record was at St Johnstone. I have no idea what his record was like at Motherwell. I have zero idea what his appearances, goals, substitute appearances or performances were like at Hearts.

Like just about every player I can think of, with one or two exceptions, when they leave St Mirren, I. Could. Not. Give. A. Fcuk.

So, I'm asking myself. How old is he, has he suffered a serious injury, does he play in a position we require strengthening in, will he be better than what we have already... and can he do a job in the second tier of Scottish football and get it right up the Morton.

If we're going for a "they weren't very good at their last club who play at a much higher level than us" policy, I think we might be struggling to fill the team sheet next month.

Aye.

We either sign players from clubs in a higher league (such as Sutton) who perhaps haven't featured often or set the heather on fire, or we sign players from lower leagues and take a punt that they can hack it at the level we are sitting at.

We could, of course, try to take players from clubs in our own league, but the likelihood is that they would be much of a muchness in terms of what we've had or they would be attracting interest at a higher level.

Regardless, there is no easy formula to apply, here. I reckon Sutton is a solid signing for a Championship club looking to contend for the promotion spots.

Aye, but nothing to indicate he will score.........oh, er, wait.

Plus we know what we are getting with him, he is not some unknown foreigner or lower (very very very low) league English player like Calum Ball.

Every signing is a risk, if we do sign him and he flops so be it but it's a no brainer for me.

This league isn't about fancy football, the more you defence mess about with the ball at the back the greater chance they have of making a mistake and losing a goal. If you have 2 big lumps up front like Sutton and Clarkson, more often that not the ball won't come straight back at you.

Mallan should have a field day with set pieces with the height we now have in our team.

Sutton is a striker who never relied on pace or mobility.

His skill is being able to get in the right place at the right time and finding space.

I reckon he can do it at our level next season.

I always like citing his winner on the 3-2 game at Fir Park.

Free kick comes in and a batch of players all go for the ball.

Sutton takes a step back however, the ball breaks to him and... Boom!

The thing is, if the ball hadn't broken to him then no-one would have noticed. And that is what Sutton does throughout games.

He gets himself into positions where a chance might come his way.

He won't have lost that ability.

Who actually gives a toss about morton poz? The trip down to greenock in front of 4,500 fans usually in the rain does absolutely nothing for me anymore. The club needs to get back playing well at tynecastle, Pittodrie etc. It's been done before and I hope so again. Morton tho what a total bore that is now it's like being back in the mid 90s except not as good

Sutton was with Well for 2 years prior to the Fakes making 65 League appearances and scoring 35 goals which is a phenomenal record in the Premiership. The Fakes had O'Hallaran, McLean, Cummins and Kane as strikers who Sutton had to compete against. Apparently he did not suit the Fakes style of play. Hopefully we can play to his strengths and he starts scoring again..

This looks very promising. And in fact, almost regardless of how successful he might be, what's already important is that it's a crowd pleaser, one for us to feel excited about. Practice set pieces and cross balls all summer long, use them next season, and he will get us the goals we want.

So are most players these days, and I'm not having a go at them. It's a different world from the days Jim McLean had a group of talented players tied up to thirty-year contracts worth thruppence ha'penny and a fish supper after each away game.

If Jim Mclean was still a manager he would have been up in front of a committee today along with Mike Ashley