John Sutton Returns

Think Smith is more of an attacking midfielder/forward. Can definitely play up front. Think Dundee Utd are after him too.

Rae is certainly after a 'left-sider' as he called it, so it wouldn't be Morgan. There's a few wingers out there, Lappin, De Vita, Francis-Angol, could be anyone. Just need to wait and see.

Would take De Vita from the three above.

Rae on transfers:

Alex also confirms that the work goes on to further build the squad ahead of the new season: “It’s been a tough summer but I’m pleased to get Gary on board. There was another player I was chasing for weeks but unfortunately that’s not come to fruition as he’s chosen to do something else now. We go back to the drawing board and we have a couple of irons in the fire so we will pursue them now.

“We need strikers – we’re looking at strikers and we’re also trying to get a winger in who can inject a bit more pace into the squad. I know some people will look at us signing another centre-half but the quality Gary brings us along with the price range, we were fortunate that he signed for what he did. We’re getting there slowly but surely, it’s a process.”

If he's after a winger with pace, it won't be Lappin.

Rae speaking today on Gary McKenzie and other transfer dealings: "There was another player I was chasing for weeks but unfortunately thats not come to fruition as hes chosen to do something else now."

I hope div likes humble pie.

Given Rae's reference to strikers, it sounds as though it is a forward that he has missed out on.

ETA: if Sutton has opted for Raith or Ayr as speculated might be options, I wonder who will get booed most when we play them for the first time next season - Sutton or Div!

Edited by Drew

Inside The SPFL@AgentScotland 14s15 seconds ago

John Sutton wanted a 3yr contract from St Mirren before he'd leave St J, Sr Mirren offerd 1yr with a 1yr option, willing to up it to 2yr now

Guy is full of bullshit, but occasionally gets some things right.

Suttons never signed a 3 year deal in his whole career, doubt he would expect one at his age and dropping down a leve

Given Rae's reference to strikers, it sounds as though it is a forward that he has missed out on.

ETA: if Sutton has opted for Raith or Ayr as speculated might be options, I wonder who will get booed most when we play them for the first time next season - Sutton or Div!

Shankland possibly.

Think its time we tried for someone else because I don't see this ever happening .I wonder if they have tried to get Shankland back.

Agreed. If Sutton thinks he can get a better deal at Ayr or Raith then best of luck to him.

Mentioned before that it's unlikely Sutton will be going to Ayr as they're remaining P/T and their budget is £400pw per player. They lost favourite son Ryan Stevenson to Dumbarton because they weren't willing to make an exception.

I can see the problem being about length of contract - Sutton's reaching the end of his playing career so I'd imagine he wants the longest deal now. I'd be reluctant to give him even a two year deal, in terms of form some strikers (e.g. Thommo) just seem to fall over the edge of a plateau.

Like I said yesterday it's time for us to say sign now or look elsewhere.

John Sutton wanted a 3yr contract from St Mirren before he'd leave St J, Sr Mirren offerd 1yr with a 1yr option, willing to up it to 2yr now

Guy is full of bullshit, but occasionally gets some things right.

He only gets stuff right that is posted elsewhere. Guy is a complete fantasist/troll/wind-up merchant who makes pish up or quickly steals it from other sources.

I'm in this gang. Give him until the end of this week at the very latest, then focus our sights on Stewart Kean and Billy Mehmet!

Sutton would be a decent signing, but with each passing day I become more disinterested. I'd still rather have Shankland back if there is the remotest chance.