Livingston V St Mirren League Cup Group G 16/7/16

shull

surely professional footballers will have kept themselves fit over the summer?

professional footballers really are a joke

There is a vast difference between summer fitness and match fitness. The human body needs r'&r' - every athlete needs regular breaks in their training schedule which is why top leagues have adopted a winter break.
Many years ago we spent a July holiday in the Tyrol and there was a German player (from Bundesliga 2) in the same hotel. Every morning he did some stretches and a light run. Late afternoon he practiced with a ball for 20 minutes or so and did some more stretches. He said it was the training routine his club had set out for the players for the 6 / 8 weeks of the close season. No more than that plus an amnesty for up to 5 kilos of weight gain.

25 minutes ago, murray street said:

OHHHHH  Big elvis, fùcks around on a st mirren forum pretends to be a fan and plays childish games

winding up real st mirren fans, you are a real star, fùcktard.

Go back to your students and tell them what a mature man you are,

ya big mcdowall street bellend :lol:

you are the biggest tosser on here you f**king bell end .

Definitely agree with Rae's statement about us dropping our level once we went ahead.

Thought we did that a couple of times today, after the goal and between the start of the second half and their 2nd goal.

I thought we were firmly on top up until the first goal, at the end of the first half and after our 2nd goal - it's important we continue that for the whole game and stop these lapses in concentration.

Also thought Hutton looked decent when he came on, never gave the ball away and kept it simple. Would like to see him alongside Mallan - having a more defensive guy next to him would hopefully allow wee Stevie to push further forward where he can influence the game more and get more shots on goal.

Meh, at least Rae isn't bullshitting anyone. There were loads of problems with the performance. For me the biggest one was movement. In the first half when St Mirren were supposedly having their brightest spell, Morgan broke through on the left wing. He worked his way into a wide position, looked up and neither of the front two were anywhere near the 6 yard box. It was Gallagher coming in off the right wing that tried to provide an option but in the end Morgan shot straight at the keeper from an impossible angle. Now that was early in the game so it wasn't down to fatigue or it being early in the season. It was quite simply down to the fact that the front two have no pace. 

As the game went on the pattern didn't really change. The line up was very definitely 4-4-2 cause you could have stuck a metal pole through the defence, the midfield and the attack for all the movement that was being made. Only Morgan looked willing. 

At the back the two goals lost were dreadful. Rae's rightly picked up on the throw in and Livingston being able to get forward from there, but Naismith gave Cadden far too much space and time to pick his spot and although it looked from where I was sitting that he smashed it straight down the centre, and the keeper couldn't get near it, I might not be being all that fair to Gallagher. And for the second goal Naismith was beaten easily down his flank, the cross looked tame but for some reason the keeper dropped to his knees and waited to collect it, while Carrick nipped in in front of him and touched the ball home. 

As I said earlier I thought Morgan was outstanding, Clarkson scored a couple of belters and I thought Gary Irvine did particularly well, but beyond that I don't think there was that much to be positive about. Mallan and Quinn / Hutton never controlled the centre midfield area, the defence never looked comfortable, Callum Gallagher was OK, but when he went off Hutton didn't offer much more than protection for Naismith and Sutton looked well off the pace to me.  

We won a tough away game against a full time team.

That will do. Performance levels can wait till later in the season, all that matters now is results.

For a bit of context, Falkirk lost to Stirling Albion, Morton drew with Albion Rovers and Dundee drew with East Fife today.

Coming back from 2-1 down is a big positive in my book. Shows that we have a bit of character and fight in the side - lets get right behind the team and let's see where it takes us. Reckon Clarkson and Sutton will do us a turn and Morgan is going to be our "breakthrough" player this year 

COYS !!

We won a tough away game against a full time team.

That will do. Performance levels can wait till later in the season, all that matters now is results.

For a bit of context, Falkirk lost to Stirling Albion, Morton drew with Albion Rovers and Dundee drew with East Fife today.

Yeah that's true. It's a dynamic that has changed thanks to the League Cup. In previous years when playing friendlies it was all about performance levels and getting players up to speed. It'll be interesting to see what effect ignoring performance levels for results will have over the coming weeks.

35 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Yeah that's true. It's a dynamic that has changed thanks to the League Cup. In previous years when playing friendlies it was all about performance levels and getting players up to speed. It'll be interesting to see what effect ignoring performance levels for results will have over the coming weeks.

First competitive game of the season and you are on about performance levels?  You say you are not a St Mirren fan but yet watch them and post on this forum. It takes time for teams to get up to speed with match fitness and this group of players will be fitter and stronger than last year's which kicked off the season. Alex Rae will see to that.

31 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

First competitive game of the season and you are on about performance levels?  You say you are not a St Mirren fan but yet watch them and post on this forum. It takes time for teams to get up to speed with match fitness and this group of players will be fitter and stronger than last year's which kicked off the season. Alex Rae will see to that.

Erm, well I hate to point out the obvious, but as you have said yourself this was the first competitive match of the season. You would expect players to be ready for the new season by now. Alex Rae said he didn't take on too many friendlies cause he was worried about injuries to a paper thin squad. That's fair enough, it's his choice, but it's perfectly correct to look at performance levels in competitive matches. Would you have been quite as forgiving had the result gone the other way - as it looked like it might well do before Morgan grabbed an unexpected equaliser?

And to address your other acerbic point, are only St Mirren supporters allowed to attend St Mirren matches? I didn't notice the restriction listed anywhere outside of the stadium. If only I'd have known I could have saved myself the £12 admission, the £5 car park charge, and the frustration of watching some prick in a Polo driving erratically around Livingston. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, elvis said:

You only have to listen to his interview to see we have a manager who can see the things you point out Stuart and I am confident he is the man to sort things out he is definetly switched on to whats going on .

Yep. And I hope he does. I'd like to see St Mirren do well this season, especially under new ownership. I'm simply commenting on what I saw at the match. I've no idea why people would get so defensive about it

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Yep. And I hope he does. I'd like to see St Mirren do well this season, especially under new ownership. I'm simply commenting on what I saw at the match. I've no idea why people would get so defensive about it

Perfectly good post as are your previous ones. 

Saddens me to see St Mirren fans abuse you on a football Forum. 

15 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Meh, at least Rae isn't bullshitting anyone. There were loads of problems with the performance. For me the biggest one was movement. In the first half when St Mirren were supposedly having their brightest spell, Morgan broke through on the left wing. He worked his way into a wide position, looked up and neither of the front two were anywhere near the 6 yard box. It was Gallagher coming in off the right wing that tried to provide an option but in the end Morgan shot straight at the keeper from an impossible angle. Now that was early in the game so it wasn't down to fatigue or it being early in the season. It was quite simply down to the fact that the front two have no pace. 

As the game went on the pattern didn't really change. The line up was very definitely 4-4-2 cause you could have stuck a metal pole through the defence, the midfield and the attack for all the movement that was being made. Only Morgan looked willing. 

At the back the two goals lost were dreadful. Rae's rightly picked up on the throw in and Livingston being able to get forward from there, but Naismith gave Cadden far too much space and time to pick his spot and although it looked from where I was sitting that he smashed it straight down the centre, and the keeper couldn't get near it, I might not be being all that fair to Gallagher. And for the second goal Naismith was beaten easily down his flank, the cross looked tame but for some reason the keeper dropped to his knees and waited to collect it, while Carrick nipped in in front of him and touched the ball home. 

As I said earlier I thought Morgan was outstanding, Clarkson scored a couple of belters and I thought Gary Irvine did particularly well, but beyond that I don't think there was that much to be positive about. Mallan and Quinn / Hutton never controlled the centre midfield area, the defence never looked comfortable, Callum Gallagher was OK, but when he went off Hutton didn't offer much more than protection for Naismith and Sutton looked well off the pace to me.  

Do you think perhaps he might be a player after all stu?:whistle