Challenge Cup

Personaly I see this as a commercial success , very interesting.

Seriously? I take it then that you are happy for St Mirren to be humiliated by hosting matches against Premiership under 20s on an equal footing? The whole thing is an absolute disgrace, the Welsh and NI teams are being used as cover to get 'Colt' teams in the league structure.

Seriously? I take it then that you are happy for St Mirren to be humiliated by hosting matches against Premiership under 20s on an equal footing? The whole thing is an absolute disgrace, the Welsh and NI teams are being used as cover to get 'Colt' teams in the league structure.

more the N-Irish and Welsh clubs involved is a good idea. As for under 20s not too great though maybe I would think differently if Saints were in the top league. Personaly I don't think of the old firm at every turn.

They expect us to PAY to watch something I got for free last season, seriously U20s. It's a stupid idea but hey we are only the fans.

I'm all in favour of fan ownership but decisions like this one about the Challenge Cup show how powerless we still are. Regardless of whether this tournament is a success or not Dongcaster is determined to get B teams into the league so we can have 4 mini bigotfests extra every season. Successful and the B teams will get the credit, failure and the Welsh and NI teams will cop the blame. If it was up to me I'd pull out our first team and officially enter our under 20's.

Can't believe Tony Fitz thinks this is a good idea, who is going to pay good money to watch this

To be fair to the chief executive of the club, I don't think it would be great for generating income if he came out and said it was a load of shite.

I'm sure like all of us, he has reservations about the new set up, but he's asking us to give it a shot before we make up our minds.

I'm all in favour of fan ownership but decisions like this one about the Challenge Cup show how powerless we still are. Regardless of whether this tournament is a success or not Dongcaster is determined to get B teams into the league so we can have 4 mini bigotfests extra every season. Successful and the B teams will get the credit, failure and the Welsh and NI teams will cop the blame. If it was up to me I'd pull out our first team and officially enter our under 20's.

I don't buy into the old firm having under 20s teams in the profesional league for a few good reasons. There are teams in line to join the leagues before the old firm putting in a second team Next I don't believe it would be allowed. Let's say there is a fantastic Celtic under 20s team climb the leagues just for talking sake. Do really believe Celtic would be allowed 2 teams in the top flight. Trust me mate it is never going to happen. Do agree under 20s in this cup is stupid though.

I don't buy into the old firm having under 20s teams in the profesional league for a few good reasons. There are teams in line to join the leagues before the old firm putting in a second team Next I don't believe it would be allowed. Let's say there is a fantastic Celtic under 20s team climb the leagues just for talking sake. Do really believe Celtic would be allowed 2 teams in the top flight. Trust me mate it is never going to happen. Do agree under 20s in this cup is stupid though.

Wish I could share your confidence. When the imbecile Doncaster was talking about a 10 team SPL about 5 years ago another part of his 'vision' was colt teams playing in the professional leagues. I very much doubt that idea has gone away never to resurface. As for 2 Celtic teams in top flight, in Spain B teams are not allowed to rise higher than the Segunda Division which solves that problem,

Scottd it's not going to happen mate.

I don't know how you can be so confident. Doncaster and his cronies will stop at nothing if they think it can make a quick buck off TV companies. The destruction of the Challenge Cup is but the first step.

I don't know how you can be so confident. Doncaster and his cronies will stop at nothing if they think it can make a quick buck off TV companies. The destruction of the Challenge Cup is but the first step.

Exactly Scott, if they have the front to rip off the lower league teams by lowering their chances of winning a trophy, they certainly won't labour over other money making schemes - such as allowing colt teams into the lower leagues, and as you point out it happens in Spain so they can follow that example and just stop short of having clubs with 2 teams in the top league.

The most ill thought through/ill conceived part of this change is what incentive will lower league clubs have to take this compettion seriously, if it is won every season by one of the ugly sisters, or premiership U20 sides???

Lower league clubs have to play in another tournament, many of them only operating a first team squad. The premiership clubs can lace their U20's with first team squad players as they do now!

1st round draw........

Motherwell U20 vs Edinburgh City

Queen’s Park vs Kilmarnock U20

Rangers U20 vs Stirling University

Clyde vs Partick Thistle U20

Berwick Rangers vs Spartans

Cumbernauld Colts vs Hamilton U20

Celtic U20 vs Annan Athletic

St Johnstone U20 vs Turriff Utd

Stirling Albion vs Hearts U20

East Stirlingshire vs Montrose

Formartine Utd vs Aberdeen U20