Challenge Cup

No interest at all. 

Totally ignore whole Tournament. 

Sellik and Sevco Under 20's 

f**kEM 

Is not all the U20's from all the P/ship teams? I'm not a huge fan of the U20 format as I think players need to learn by playing competitive matches against experienced players of whatever level. I would play our U20's but that probably would run foul of the "best available team rule".

Half the Colts teams playing tonight have been knocked out at the first hurdle. Might just be two or three remaining by the time we enter the competition in the 3rd round.

Ross County 2-3 Brora

Cove 2-1 Dundee

Formartine 2-5 Aberdeen

Inverness 0-3 Arbroath

St Johnstone 1-2 Turriff

Stirling 2-3 Hearts

Clyde 0-5 Partick

Celtic 5-1 Annan

Motherwell 2-1 Edinburgh City

Queen's Park 5-2 Kilmarnock

Although I haven't seen the attendance for the Celtic match none of the those reported so far have topped 500 so it's not getting the fans out either.

Edit - Pinched froma guy on P&B

1. Berwick Rangers 0-3 Spartans - 302
  2. Celtic Colts 5-1 Annan Atheltic - 216 @ Cappielow
  3. Clyde  0-5 Partick Thistle Colts - 351
  4. Cove Rangers 2-1 Dundee Colts - 190 @ Forfar 
  5. East Stirlingshire 0-3 Montrose - 149
  6. Formantine United 2-5 Aberdeen Colts - 305
  7. Inverness Caledonian Thistle Colts 0-3 Arbroath - 296
  8. Motherwell Colts 2-1 Edinburgh City - 402
  9. Queen's Park 5-2 Killie Colts - 299
  10. Ross County Colts 2-3 Brora Rangers - 350
  11. St Johnstone Colts 1-2 Turriff United - 320
  12. Stirling Albion 2-3 Heart of Midlothian Colts - 476
  2. Motherwell 3-0 East Stirlingshire - 2,503

Comparing the 2503 attendance Motherwell had at last week's LC match against East Stirling with the 402 their Colts got tonight's against Edinburgh City tells you it's not going to work. As I said earlier in the thread this was a crazy idea.

Back to the 30 teams outside the top flight or scrap the tournament.

Edited by Bud the Baker

14 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Treated with contempt by Barry Ferguson it seems. Played Clyde's U20's instead of the first team. 

Quite right too.  The whole thing is a farce.  216 watched the Celtic U20 v Annan game at Crappielow tonight.

14 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Although I haven't seen the attendance for the Celtic match none of the those reported so far have topped 500 so it's not getting the fans out either.

Edit - Pinched froma guy on P&B

Comparing the 2503 attendance Motherwell had at last week's LC match against East Stirling with the 402 their Colts got tonight's against Edinburgh City tells you it's not going to work. As I said earlier in the thread this was a crazy idea.

Back to the 30 teams outside the top flight or scrap the tournament.

The Inverness v Arbroath game (attendance 296) was free entry for all. Think most of the other games were £5.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

The Inverness v Arbroath game (attendance 296) was free entry for all. Think most of the other games were £5.

Yeah, I can't see much in the way of financial benefit to the Div. 2 teams playing last night unless Annan got some money for the game being on SKY.

It really is hard to see it as anything other than a foot in the door for the idea of introducing Colt teams to the League set-up.

And Chris McCart told the official Celtic website that it was an exciting opportunity for the club’s young players and could help boost the prospects of clubs like Celtic being able to operate a colt team in the lower leagues, something that is commonplace in countries such as Spain.

He said: “It’s quite exciting and will be good for the young players’ development. It will also be good for teams in the future who are looking to put a colt team in the lower leagues. From speaking to other heads of youth, I think they are really excited about this and really thankful for the opportunity from the SPFL.

Meh!

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah, I can't see much in the way of financial benefit to the Div. 2 teams playing last night unless Annan got some money for the game being on SKY.

Wasn't on Sky, it was Premier Sport showing Sellick U20s v Annan live :wacko:

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

119 was the 'crowd' at Broadwood for Cumbernauld Colts v Hamilton Cnuts tonight.  This tournament has become an absolute joke.  The quote from McCart about Cnut teams playing in the lower leagues shows clearly the direction of travel with this crap.:angry:

On 05/08/2016 at 10:03 PM, stlucifer said:

I've said from day one that I thought this was a farce and would fail and nothing so far has changed my mind. Saint Mirren should not only field a colt side but should make it plain this was intentional.

I see that it was Ryan Hardie who played for SEVCO colts on Wednesday and, it has been confirmed,  he could theoretically play against us if  they are drawn against us .  This devalues the competition even more . What was a reasonable if unspectacular competition is getting turned into a farce. Its only purpose now seems to be for the benefit of Premier League sides, two in particular.

It is shameful that we could be expected to field our strongest team  against colts teams we were above in last years league . Equal nonesense is the inclusion of non league as well as Welsh and Irish clubs.

I go to all the home and away games, probably due to OCD, but even allowing for my blind loyalty  will give this a miss unless we confirm we are fielding an under 20 side. Even then I will not be travelling out of Paisley .

Rant over

1 hour ago, Oldfellow said:

I see that it was Ryan Hardie who played for SEVCO colts on Wednesday and, it has been confirmed,  he could theoretically play against us if  they are drawn against us .  This devalues the competition even more . What was a reasonable if unspectacular competition is getting turned into a farce. Its only purpose now seems to be for the benefit of Premier League sides, two in particular.

It is shameful that we could be expected to field our strongest team  against colts teams we were above in last years league . Equal nonesense is the inclusion of non league as well as Welsh and Irish clubs.

I go to all the home and away games, probably due to OCD, but even allowing for my blind loyalty  will give this a miss unless we confirm we are fielding an under 20 side. Even then I will not be travelling out of Paisley .

Rant over

Nothing wrong with the inclusion of either Welsh/N. Irish teams as it adds a bit of spice.

Same with non-league teams.

What has absolutely killed the competition is the brainless inclusion of SPL under 20s teams.

Hopefully the SPFL clubs will react when they hopefully see attendances in double figures for some games.

I see no other way for the message to be rammed home. Fans do not want to pay good money to watch under 20s football teams playing our senior sides.

16 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Would have been a good competition if it had remained the same plus the Welsh and irish but the under 20s has killed it stone dead

Was never a good competition. Should have been binned donkeys ago. Bells Ramsdens B&Q Petrofac Johnston Paint Trophy Texaco Dryborough Cup pish.

Another winner from the SFA.

Next on agenda. Tied one leg behind your back League

League splitting 7 times a season

Spend £60000 to rename the Scottish Leagues then just copy England

Allow Servo to parade as a dead team

Have 42 senior Clubs 

Penalise teams for being in Europe

Finally  Neil Lennon's face