Challenge Cup

We have managed two wins, theyve had one defeat, played in champions league and score for fun. I think they will be well up for this and a much more organised proposition than East Fife were. 

Oh how we mocked the decision to invite welsh and irish sides into this competition, if we aren't in the final come end of play Sunday it will show the whole country how far we have fallen.

We have managed two wins, theyve had one defeat, played in champions league and score for fun. I think they will be well up for this and a much more organised proposition than East Fife were. 
Oh how we mocked the decision to invite welsh and irish sides into this competition, if we aren't in the final come end of play Sunday it will show the whole country how far we have fallen.

Paddy Power has them as favourites

36 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Quite looking forward to this game.

TNS are an unknown quantity but with a strong run of form.

A victory keeps our excellent cup form going and gives the club/fans something to look forward to in the near future.

St Mirren 4-3 TNS. :clapping

Please enter the real Shrek !!

5 hours ago, antrin said:

Of course, there is.

The owner of Total Network Solutions, TNS, an English chappie, I believe...

http://www.tnscomms.co.uk/

Are they still sponsored by them - I thought that had ended and was why they changed their name.

From Wikipedia so it may not be 100% accurate

In early 2006 the club's sponsor, Total Network Solutions, was taken over by British Telecom,[4] as a result of which the sponsorship arrangement lapsed at the end of the 2005–06 season and it became necessary to find a new name for the club. After a trawl for naming ideas, including an attempt to sell the naming rights on eBay, the name "The New Saints" was agreed upon as appropriate to the clubs' history — Llansantffraid was always known as "The Saints", while Oswestry had strong connections with Saint Oswald— while handily retaining the initials "TNS". A new club badge was also developed at the same time, featuring a dragon to represent Llansantffraid and a lion representing Oswestry.[5]

I was under the impression that the bulk of their money came from being semi-automatic qualifiers for the Welsh spot in EUFA competitions - they've played in Europe every season since 2000/01.

9 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Are they still sponsored by them - I thought that had ended and was why they changed their name.

From Wikipedia so it may not be 100% accurate

I was under the impression that the bulk of their money came from being semi-automatic qualifiers for the Welsh spot in EUFA competitions - they've played in Europe every season since 2000/01.

Mike Harris, the original TNS owner,  is still the club's Chair.  Aye, the official sponsorship ended with BT taking it over, but I am sure that Mike has the same deep pockets for his plaything.

They're a green and white Gretna!!! When Harris goes, so will they.

Their chairman is very astute and because of Oswestry's location gets funding from both English and Welsh FA's as well as £600k per annum from UEFA by qualifying as Champions and getting through the first qualifying round each year. Their ground is an Astroturf attached to a bowling alley so you can see that with so little overheads, they're able to tick over quite nicely with that sort of income. Sadly they busted an old established club called Oswestry Town in order to get into this position and the locals won't touch them with a barge pole so their gates are still in the sub 200's despite all the success and outlay over the years.

I saw them lose at Carmarthen last week but they weren't firing on all cylinders. I'm hoping the cup win will inspire Saints but they'll be no walkovers.

Can't see there being a big crowd for this , due to the kick off time and the lack of interest in this tournament . 

I'm hoping we can get through , so we can have another good day out like the other two challenge cup finals .