Challenge Cup

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I don't think it's important. I think it's utter shite. I've followed us for forty years and have been to precisely one Bells B&Q Ramsdens Petrofac Irn Bru Challenge Diddy Cup game in my life. Even then, it was simply because the club changed the STs and they included the first home cup tie, which happened to be in the BB&QRPIBCD Cup. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered my arse. Never went to the finals, checked the scores at the end of them, popped a party popper, got on with life. 

For anyone who gets excited about it because no matter what, it is still a trophy, and still a St Mirren game - fair do's. Go for it, absolutely. I am merely here to argue the case for 'not important'. I believe it is not important because we have the core 'treble' in Scottish football that sees ALL clubs included in the cup competitions. Clearly, winning the league you are in is important. This shite abortion of a competition that excludes the top flight clubs and now includes colt teams and diddies from Wales and Norn' Iron' is the cup equivalent of dug shite on my shoes.

IMHO. :)

Couldn't disagree more. Winning any competition you enter is worthwhile.  I have seldom missed the Renfrewshire Cup games for example. But ...we are also still. ...for the moment...in the Scottish Cup. So two decent runs and we just missed out on progress in the League Cup. So .. I will take every brightness that I can in cup competitions. I will be there today. 

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Couldn't disagree more. Winning any competition you enter is worthwhile.  I have seldom missed the Renfrewshire Cup games for example. But ...we are also still. ...for the moment...in the Scottish Cup. So two decent runs and we just missed out on progress in the League Cup. So .. I will take every brightness that I can in cup competitions. I will be there today. 

The St Mirren Hamilton game was a beltter the atmosphere was great also. The football played that day was 100%  better than the 87 cup win. 

The St Mirren Hamilton game was a beltter the atmosphere was great also. The football played that day was 100%  better than the 87 cup win. 

Yeah great day. Great season and great team. Was a great feeling around the club at that point and rightly so.

Gus was building a team that would go on to enjoy the most successful period at the club for a generation.

You'll get better football than the 87 cup win every week at the racecourse. The result, however, is a different matter...

:)

34 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Which is why I said 'fair do's and absolutely go for it' to anyone who rates it as being important / worthwhile / it's St Mirren. Looking back even to the 2013 LC final, which is secondary to the Scottish Cup, we had a semi final at Hampden, top flight teams were involved, we beat Scotland's best in the semi. There was interest around town. There was a build-up. The press reported on it. The mainstream TV channels covered it. News of the result made it onto the national news. We had an open top bus. A DVD double disc set. A reception in County Square. Cup final merchandise.... the Bells B&Q on the other hand... load of manufactured bollocks that doesn't even include ICT, Accies, Thistle, Killie, Dundee, Aberdeen, Sevco, Celtic, Motherwell, Ross C...

The very definition of pish, sooner it is binned the better. Again, only arguing the case for the opposition m'lud.

I won't be going along to this. Going to a gig this evening, and the daft KO time is problematic (probably wouldn't have went anyway, to be honest).

This is just a game to afford the new players a further opportunity to bed in before the resumption of the serious business next week. No injuries, please, and a win would, of course, be welcome.

We thought the cup win at Dundee would give us some momentum, but it didn't work out that way. I don't think winning this game will have any great impact. It's little more than a friendly, to all intents and purposes. I might stick it on the box while I make dinner.

Edited by Drew

16 minutes ago, TopCat said:

No idea what to expect here. Can't say I'd heard of this mob until recently.

No idea how good they are but wouldn't be surprised if they're better than us.

Will go for Old Saints 1 - New Saints 2.

Bookies certainly think they will be.

Bet365 are offering

St Mirren 19-10

TNS 13-10

Draw 5-2

19 minutes ago, TopCat said:

No idea what to expect here. Can't say I'd heard of this mob until recently.

No idea how good they are but wouldn't be surprised if they're better than us.

Will go for Old Saints 1 - New Saints 2.

Well they beat Livingston 0-3 away which was a better result than we got against them.

St Mirren Starting XI: O'Brien, Stelios, Davis, Baird, Eckersley, McGinn, Storie, Mallan, Magennis, Loy, Sutton

St Mirren subs: Langfield, Irvine, Webster, Morgan, Fjelde, Whyte, O'Keefe

Smith and Todd cup tied.

MacKenzie injured again no doubt.......................

Edited by FTOF