Dean Shiels

To1m

I suffer from a progressive debilitating disease ,when Wee Johnny and my self began coming to Saints around 3 years ago I was perfectly capable of looking after the wee man

Now my wife is my carer or anyone else can be. i am 68 and 15 years ago I was still playing 6s.

I will loan any of you a wheelchair some time just  to see what it feels like when you deteriorate as I have.Its no joke.

I have a bit a laugh with friends ,Shakin Stevens, the shuffler and others are a few names. when you don't know someone personally, thats different.

Disability comes in  many forms visible and invisible so remember if someone acts strangely don't abuse them.

Just be aware 

4 hours ago, Eaglesham saint said:
I suffer from a progressive debilitating disease ,when Wee Johnny and my self began coming to Saints around 3 years ago I was perfectly capable of looking after the wee man

Now my wife is my carer or anyone else can be. i am 68 and 15 years ago I was still playing 6s.

I will loan any of you a wheelchair some time just  to see what it feels like when you deteriorate as I have.Its no joke.

I have a bit a laugh with friends ,Shakin Stevens, the shuffler and others are a few names. when you don't know someone personally, thats different.

Disability comes in  many forms visible and invisible so remember if someone acts strangely don't abuse them.

Just be aware 

My best friend since school and best man has spina bifda. He now uses a wheelchair the majority of the time.

Years ago, I was in the changing room with him and his wheelchair basketball team mates. He had played for team GB and was a cracking player.

In the dressing room the banter flowed. Name calling was the norm and some of the names were absolutely shocking.

In an attempt, I guess, to fit in, I used one of the terms that I had just heard someone else use to great humorous reaction.

You could have heard a pin drop. All eyes were on me. I felt like shit.

I would never call a black person a N****r.

If a black person wants to call his friend that then I have no problem at all.

A bit of perspective and understanding can go a long way.

Check Youtube for Tim Minchin singing Prejudice. Brilliant track.

Edited by BuddieinEK