Le Tour 2016

Bud the Baker

Chris Froome has just moved into the lead of the Critérium du Dauphiné taking the lead from Alberto Contador with three stages remaining. The Dauphiné is a race well worth winning in it's own right but also a key indicator of who's in form leading up to the big race. On the two occasions Froome has won the Dauphiné he's gone on to win Le Tour.

Looking forward if Froome has the edge on Contador at the moment then his main rivals next month should be Nairo Quintana and Fabio Aru. Esteban Chaves could be a dark horse although I'm not sure if his team (Orica GreenEDGE) is strong enough.

Guest TPAFKATS

I think Le Tour has the best coverage . .you can't beat Uncle Phil's commentary , it is legendary. .wink.png

I tend to watch Eurosport and listen to Carlton Kirby

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, strummer said:

Fook me..what a finish. .one of the best iv seen in a while..belter of a crash with about 500mts then the manx missile wins in a cracker of a sprint..away for a lie down..

Yup great to see Cav in yellow and another stage win puts him just one behind Bernard Hinault.

Cav doesn't have the strongest team but if he remains in form there'sno reason why he shouldn't move up to second on the stages won list - with just Eddy Merckx to catch.

Edited by Bud the Baker

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:08 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

Christ , almost that time again . .

I think wee Berti(who should still be on a ban anyway) is actually past his best now and Froomy shouldn't find it too difficult to sweep him away once they are in the mountains. .

You are spot on about the Dauphine , of course. .

Good predictorating wee-wee-Berti dropped 45 secs to most of the other main contendors (sic) on Stage 2 - a moderately difficult one.

Commentary on ITV 4 not the same without Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen,

been listening to these guys for years and years, so miss their excellent coverage.

Can't stand listening to Sean Kelly on Eurosport, he's a legend but he talks as if he has a soor ploom

permanently stuck to the inside of his cheek:angry:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/tour-de-france/phil-liggett-paul-sherwen-itvs-tour-de-france-coverage-249523

British Tour de France fans tuning into ITV4’s coverage of the 2016 edition of the big race on Saturday for the opening stage cannot help but have noticed the change in live commentary team.

Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen no longer provide the verbal updates during the race, having been replaced on the channel’s coverage by Ned Boulting and former pro David Millar for this year.

Many have asked us where Liggett and Sherwen have gone – and the short answer is: they are still there, just not on ITV.

ITV4 used to buy in Liggett and Sherwen’s commentary from an internationally distributed audio feed – the same commentary is used by NBC in America and SBS in Australia, among others. And that’s where you can still hear Liggett and Sherwen.

It made more sense for ITV to provide its own commentary to complement Tour coverage presenters Gary Imlach and Chris Boardman.

(usually means ITV can't afford to pay)

ETA

Liggett and Sherwin still on NBC true enough

Edited by murray street

On 4 July 2016 at 9:34 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Good predictorating wee-wee-Berti dropped 45 secs to most of the other main contendors (sic) on Stage 2 - a moderately difficult one.

Yeh , Berti the Conductor will be missing his wee special powders now and his fancy blood products. .

I wonder if anyone will get pulled for mechanical "doping" . .

Interesting stage today with Greg Avermet level with the leaders after stage 4 now 12 minutes ahead of the peloton.

Some furious riding by the big teams to come...............w0ell maybe not.............

Oh and Nibali drops off the peloton on a stage that only looked moderately hard (or maybe he hasn't, I'm confused, but actually he really had) - cun't wait for le weekend and the first real mountain stages.

Avermet ln yellow with a 5 minute lead - not really got the pedigree to stay (but what do I know).........

Avermet was suspended for doping in 2012 -

In April 2015 the Royal Belgian Cycling League requested a two-year ban for Van Avermaet, the disqualification of all his results during the 2012 season and a €262,500 fine following an investigation into suspected anti-doping offences. It was reported in the Belgian media that their accusations focused on allegations of Van Avermaet's use of the corticoid Diprophos, and Vaminolact, a fortified baby food which is banned from being injected.[65][66] On 7 May 2015, it was announced that Van Avermaet was cleared of all allegations.[67]

Injecting baby food - now that's far out! :wacko:

Edited by Bud the Baker