Le Tour 2016

Bud the Baker

I've given up watching the TdF, and won't be particularly interested in the forthcoming Olympics, either.

Doping scandals and other forms of corruption take their toll on sport, and unless I have an irrational and emotional hook such as that with Saints, I find cynicism (or scepticism at best) seeping in.

I can fully appreciate what clean, committed sports folks achieve, but, as sifting them out from the dubious crowd becomes increasingly difficult, I can't really be arsed.

Bit of carnage today on wet roads - Mollema just gone down with 14 km to go.

Froome down but he's back up with two domestiques to help him back to the peloton.

Babyface Yates might finish today in second place overall.

Yates off the back of the leading group with 3km to go.

Yates down to 4th as Romain Bardet moves from 5th to 2nd and Quintana from 4th to 3rd.

Froome finishes 9th paced over the line by Poels but will increase his overall lead.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Alberto Contador seems to be the only man that can challenge Chris Froomes dominance.

I hope he is fully fit for the 2017 tour as Chris Froome is a great rider but I want to see

more competition particularly in the mountains, its not good froome dominating the

last two weeks of every tour de france.

Guest TPAFKATS
Your regular run of the mill domestiques are dropping the GC contenders in the mountains.

The quite obviously doped domestiques are strangling the lufe out if the race and it has been one of the most boring that I can recall.

Think that's a bit harsh, although this year I haven't watched as much of le tour as previously.
Surely the job of a domestique is to be better, just for shorter periods?

Sent fae ma fone

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.coresites.factorymedia.

And as I posted on a Friday night, as drunk as drunk could be.

I saw a head upon the bed, where my ould head should be.

So, I called my wife and I said to her: Will you kindly tell to me,

Who owns that head upon the bed, where my ould head should be.

Ah, you're drunk, you're drunk, you silly old fool, still you cannot see.

That's a baby boy, that my mother sent to me.

Well, there's many a day I've posted, a dozen posts or more,

But Babyface Yates with his whiskers on, was never in my bed before.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, tony soprano said:

Think that's a bit harsh, although this year I haven't watched as much of le tour as previously.

Sent fae ma fone

Wout Poels has obliterated everyone on just about every single climb of the race. He has had Quintana, Porte, Contador, Nibali, Aru, Valverde in trouble and struggling to stay in the peloton at some stage of the race. Wout Poels  :lol:

I just don't buy Brailsfords "marginal gains" nonsense to explain things like that.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

Guest TPAFKATS
Wout Poels has obliterated everyone on just about every single climb of the race. He has had Quintana, Porte, Contador, Nibali, Aru, Valverde in trouble and struggling to stay in the peloton at some stage of the race. Wout Poels [emoji38]
I just don't buy Brailsfords "marginal gains" nonsense to explain things like that.

Fair enough although Pouls is only the 5th best sky rider over 1 hr behind and 29th overall behind the team leaders mentioned.
sky really have built a superstar squad - guys like Porte go on to be team leaders elsewhere when they leave.

It might also be that nibali, valverde contador are all peaking at different times of the season or actually just past their peak? Mibees they are the ones suffering from not getting their usual dose of marginal gains.

Sent fae ma fone

Jersey Positions before todays stage and likely to be the same at the end.

Yellow Jersey Chris "vroom-vroom" Froome :lol:

chris-froome_2624201b.jpg

Green Jersey  Pete "Shaggy" Sagan :lol:

peter-sagan-tour-de-france-stage-11_3326

King of the Mountains Rafal Majka raffy, majjy ach feck knows what the cool bikey nickname is :lol:

2at9C5m5_400x400.jpeg

White Jersey Best Young Rider Adam Babyface Whiskers Yates who I believe has not been in Bud the Bakers bed :lol:,  might be struggling to make

the podium for second or third place.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.coresites.factorymedia.

Another wet day in the Alps

Coming up to the Col de Joux Plane with 20km left for the leaders and Roman "in the gloamin" Kreuziger is provisionally in 2nd place - there's still some interest for the minor places. TeamSKY looking rock solid.

Great display of teamwork from Sagan helping Kreuziger especially with the prospect of a stage win in Paris tomorrow. Sagan deserves the Super Combative of the Tour designation.

TeamSKY pulling back the breakaway riders - Kreuziger will improve his overall standing but not make the podium.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Vincenzo Nibali "Nibbles" is 8 secs away from the leader on the road, this might be one for him but it looks 

tough in the rain and 9.5 miles to go and its a tricky decent in to morzine and it might go to whoever

is in the lead at the top of this last climb.

If I was to walk up to Vincenzo Nibali and call him "nibbles mate" I honestly think he would sink his

boot right in my plums :lol:

Edited by murray street

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:38 PM, tony soprano said:

Sent fae ma fone

Indeed, there have been a few domestics in recent times who have helped their leader to victory , only to come back the following season and win the Tour .  .

Great finale. Great speech from Froomey not only a champion but a gentleman too and good interview from Young Babyface Yates , despite not being on the podium 4th is still a great placing for him and great for British Cycling too . I look forward to seeing them both back next year for another Gran Debacle. .:D

Record number of finishers this year -174. Was the course too easy?

Show of strength from TeamSKY today rolling over the line as a group after Greipel wins the sprint finish.

Another predictable win for Froome/SKY following the pattern of recent tours where a good Time Trialer with a strong team can win the tour by riding defensively on the mountain stages. To be fair to Froome he did spice it up by breaking away on the descent on Stage 8 to show he's got smarts as well as stamina.

I haven't looked at the 2017 route yet but if the Tour organizers want to spice things up they'll have to get creative and include stages with cobblestones or where the riders are likely to encounter strong winds, both of which can break up the peloton. Time bonuses for the mountain stages might also help - might stop the main contenders all rolling over the line as a group.

Edited by Bud the Baker