Orlando

The very idea of folk having guns in their bedside cabinets, and their kids playing with them and possibly injuring themselves or others (or worse) is reason alone to regard this culture as f**king nuts.

And that's exactly the kind of people Frum was referring too. Guns should be locked in a gun cabinet just as is the case over here. Edited by Stuart Dickson

He made a similar point about how you decide who is mentally ill when told 80% of republicans believed the mentally ill shouldn't be banned from owning guns.

Honestly it was an excellent interview.

Absurd.

Define "mentally ill".

Absurd.

Define "mentally ill".

That was his point. Indeed he went on to say that often the problem with the poll was that often the supposedly mentally ill gunmen was perfectly well when they purchased their guns.

You really should put your handbag down Drew and watch the interview. Stop being so defensive. A lot of common sense was talked by Frum.

A lot of people in the UK think arrogantly that were the example the world should follow but we couldn't stop the IRA gathering huge arms caches in the UK, we've completely failed to stop gun crime and we've been utterly hopeless when it comes to our record on stabbings. We're not even very good at preventing gun massacres as Hungerford, Dunblane and Cumbria clearly shows.

That was his point. Indeed he went on to say that often the problem with the poll was that often the supposedly mentally ill gunmen was perfectly well when they purchased their guns.

You really should put your handbag down Drew and watch the interview. Stop being so defensive. A lot of common sense was talked by Frum.

A lot of people in the UK think arrogantly that were the example the world should follow but we couldn't stop the IRA gathering huge arms caches in the UK, we've completely failed to stop gun crime and we've been utterly hopeless when it comes to our record on stabbings. We're not even very good at preventing gun massacres as Hungerford, Dunblane and Cumbria clearly shows.

As usual you pick a few, if tragic, examples and try to compare the UK to the USA, which is a preposterous suggestion.

I could name you many more from the USA but I feel no need for that game.

As for bringing in the IRA, you really go out of your way to be a cock at times Stuart.

I've said before, it's hard to tell if you're at the wind up or really are a nob, I'm plumping for the latter.

As usual you pick a few, if tragic, examples and try to compare the UK to the USA, which is a preposterous suggestion.

I could name you many more from the USA but I feel no need for that game.

As for bringing in the IRA, you really go out of your way to be a cock at times Stuart.

I've said before, it's hard to tell if you're at the wind up or really are a nob, I'm plumping for the latter.

The IRA are completely relevant. News reports emanating from Orlando today say that this gunman scoped out Disney Springs as a possible site for his attack - a place where there are no gay clubs and a story that would completely Scotch claims this was a homophobic attack and not a terrorist attack.

See, here is my problem with that statement. If it's true that so many Americans think it's right to own a gun in the name of defence, why were none of the people in that club able to defend themselves by shooting this murderer with the pistols they are obviously all packing?

The gun lobby in the US is often ridiculed by us in the UK - yet here is yet another example where their argument holds weight. If everyone was carrying a fire arm there is no way this murderer could have fired off more than his first couple of bullets before being shot dead by at least one person in a crowded nightclub.

You are a scream. Most responsible gun holders in America keep their guns in the house for protection from a break in that is a fact you fail to understand. I'm going by friends who live in America.

You didn't answer my question.

To be honest, anyone who would use the term "good at life" hardly warrants my time or anyone else's.

Its not relevant whether the guy was gay himself or not FFS.

He specifically targetted a gay bar with the specific intention of killing homosexuals.

That makes it a homophobic hate crime.

End of story.

Sorry, its not the end of the story at all.

If the guy had been straight and had attacked a regular bar that he had visited a number of times previously then we wouldn’t be classifying this as a heterosexual hate attack, would we?

Nobody actually knows the motivation behind the attack. You don’t know what was going through the guy’s mind.

You are a scream. Most responsible gun holders in America keep their guns in the house for protection from a break in that is a fact you fail to understand. I'm going by friends who live in America.

Read my post again. I am pointing out that America is not the gun totting nation full of lunatic gun slingers that Piers Morgan likes to pretend it is. Responsible gun owners keep their guns at home - not for break ins at all - but because they only use their guns for hunting. As with every other part of the world, terrorists, gangsters, and other criminals will be able to obtain guns whether they are illegal or not.

However, perhaps had more US citizens been carrying their handguns at the Pulse nightclub, there would have been far fewer deaths.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Read my post again. I am pointing out that America is not the gun totting nation full of lunatic gun slingers that Piers Morgan likes to pretend it is. Responsible gun owners keep their guns at home - not for break ins at all - but because they only use their guns for hunting. As with every other part of the world, terrorists, gangsters, and other criminals will be able to obtain guns whether they are illegal or not.

However, perhaps had more US citizens been carrying their handguns at the Pulse nightclub, there would have been far fewer deaths.

That's the NRA argument. Say 200 in the nightclub, all with guns. Mad, gay Islamist starts spraying, all 200 join in, it would have been like a scene from From Dusk Till dawn.