Top 5 Games To Relive

Now that we have successfully bought our club let's keep the feel-good factor going with your best 5 Saints games/days

Mine in no particular order. No cup finals allowed.

1. Savia Prague 3-0 - European nights under the Love St lights with big crowds were amazing

2. Ayr Utd away 1-2. Late, late, late, drama in the best ever season for me

3. Well away. 2-3 All was lost until the best substitutions ever. We were hanging out every window and sunroof at the lights at Rutherglen singing( stopping off a young buddie who missed his train)we are staying up much to the bemusement of the Celtic fans outside the pub there.

4. Saints 4 - Celtic 2. 2 nil down after 20 mins before being 3-2 up at ht. Scanlon scored a thunderbastard late on from 40-45 yrs to seal it

5. Celtic 0 - Saints 3 Correct score at 80/1 on the coupon. The first goal was scored by Guni............

Edited by BIG BEN

First three would be the same;

1. Slavia Prague, i was only 8, big game, big night, big crowd

2. Ayr, i was missing the Raith game the next week (best man at a wedding) after having been to nearly every game that season. That was my excuse for participating in the pitch invasion.

3. Motherwell, took my step son and my daughter, £5 entry, again a big crowd. St Mirren never do comebacks like that

4. Raith Rovers away in the Tom Hendrie season. Two late goals to snatch a victory. It was the day i realised we were actually gonna win the league.

5. Hearts semi-final in 87. We were in with the Hearts fans in the North terracing cause my dad though it was a family area. A good place to be when you comeback to score a late winner.

0-1 Rangers, Scottish Cup Semi Final replay with the buns scoring a winner in the last minute of extra time that didn't cross the line

1-2 Hammarby UEFA Cup, losing 2 goals in the last 5 minutes

1-2 Rangers, League Cup Semi Final 2nd leg at Ibrox where the buns scored twice in the last mins, including a dodgy penalty

2-3 Aberdeen, Scottish Cup replay Semi Final at Dens Park with Aberdeen scoring a winner in extra time from a long range Peter Weir effort that went through Billy Thomson's legs

2-3 Celtic, Scottish Cup 4th round replay at Love Street, Celtic scoring a disputed winner in extra time

1. Saints 4 Dundee Utd 1

2. Dundee 0 Saints 4 [to win the league]

3. St Mirren 4 Celtic 2 {what a goal by Scanlon]

4. Hearts 0 Saints 1 {Paul Chalmers late goal saved us from relegation].

5. Bolton 2 Saints 1 [last minute Jimmy Bone goal puts us thru on away goals, cue the maddest celebrations ever, the Bolton fans never took it very well :-)

Edited by Jimmy H

Most of the games I'd choose have already been mentioned but here are a few more candidates;

6-3 win at Cappielow on New Years Day 1977. In the middle of a long unbeaten run we found ourselves 2-0 down in first 10 minutes. Then Donnie McDowall and the Morton keeper were sent off and Saints took full advantage.

4-3 win at Airdrie in 1981. Goalless after half an hour, Macavennie scored his first Saints goal and Starky scored 3 mins later. Fast forward 7 minutes and we're 3-2 down. With a few minutes left Macca equalised then Starky grabbed a last minute winner.

2-1 win at Dundee in 1990 to preserve our Premier League status. The club laid on free buses and we had a massive travelling support but went 1-0 down in the 1st minute. Bully Dodds then missed a penalty for Dundee before George Shaw popped up with an equaliser. Early in the 2nd half Brian Martin smashed home the winner right in front of the Saints support and it was bedlam in the away end.

Most of the games I'd choose have already been mentioned but here are a few more candidates;

6-3 win at Cappielow on New Years Day 1977. In the middle of a long unbeaten run we found ourselves 2-0 down in first 10 minutes. Then Donnie McDowall and the Morton keeper were sent off and Saints took full advantage.

4-3 win at Airdrie in 1981. Goalless after half an hour, Macavennie scored his first Saints goal and Starky scored 3 mins later. Fast forward 7 minutes and we're 3-2 down. With a few minutes left Macca equalised then Starky grabbed a last minute winner.

2-1 win at Dundee in 1990 to preserve our Premier League status. The club laid on free buses and we had a massive travelling support but went 1-0 down in the 1st minute. Bully Dodds then missed a penalty for Dundee before George Shaw popped up with an equaliser. Early in the 2nd half Brian Martin smashed home the winner right in front of the Saints support and it was bedlam in the away end.

I had forgotten about the free buses. Brilliant day

At home to Morton in '97;

Got to be a mascot for my 10th birthday, kick about with a few players in front of the north bank, then a great game and a 2-1 win.

Away to Ayr in '00;

Paul McKnight's screamer for a 2-1 win, always sticks out in my mind as being more dramatic and tense than the Raith game, where we always looked comfortable. Great day.

Away to ICT in '06

Another 2-1 win, first game back in the big time, coming from a goal down Keano and Sutton doing the business. Huge traveling support that day too. Amazing.

Away to Motherwell '07

The great escape, I'll never forget that game as long as I live, just knowing Big John was going to smash it in, the moment it broke to him, it was always ending up in the net.

Celtic at Hampden '13

Not allowed to pick the final, so this will do. Brilliant performance, Goody doin' a "Broonie", Isma's debut goal, Sammy's save, Gowser's cool penalty, Thomo's volley and the celebrations that followed. Oaft!

5-0 v Airdrie - Scottish Cup quarter final 1983. First ever away game I ever went to. Dad took me on a bus that left from The Wellington in Causeyside Street. Game was held up for twenty minutes to let the massive Saints travelling support into Broomfield. Fifteen minutes later it was all over as Starky rattled in a quickfire hat trick. Sadly, we were conned by a bent ref in the semi as we all know

2-0 Raith Rovers - 87 Scottish Cup QF. First ever away game I went to with friends. Massive Saints support and there was some interesting pre-match shenanigans, Marseille style, on the seafront. Almost choked on the dust flying up from the old railway sleepers when big Basil headed in the first goal

2-1 Raith Rovers - Millenium season. Will never forget the utter mayhem when Junior lashed in that injury time winner. That was the day we finally believed we could win the league.

2-1 Ayr United - Millenium season - I close my eyes and can still see McKnight's winner arrowing diagonally towards me into the top corner. Wave after wave of Saints fans on the pitch thinking we had won the league. Alas not, but we only had to wait another 7 days...................

3-0 Raith Rovers - 7 days later and we had the party of all parties. Nearly met my maker when big Taxi Saint gave me a Hulk Hoganesque body slam/bear hug when Yards put us in front. Will never forget the sight of getting the bus at the bottom of New Street later that night to see wall to wall black and white as we had totally taken over the street from top to bottom!

2-0 away to Ross County in 05/06, one of my most enjoyable days as a Saints fan. A big group of us up, everyone happy, a win that more or less assured to everyone that we had what it took to be champions, then the bus driver informed us that he hadn't had his alloted break so had to stay in the mallard for another two hours post match. Happy, happy day.

That 3-2 win against Motherwell.

The 2-1 at Somerset, 2-1 at Starks from the 2000 season.

The 2-0 win away at Falkirk to keep us up in 2009. Probably the best single performance I've seen from a St Mirren side. Absolutely everything clicked into place that day. Every loose ball was ours, the football was intense, precise and purposeful. We could have walked away with 8-0 that day and it wouldn't have flattered us, we were that good.

It's amazing how away days seem to stick more than home games. The 4-0 against Celtic was certainly a contender though. As was Xmas eve against Rangers.

Edited by djchapsticks

For me ......

Ally's 4 goals at Ibrox in the league cup section then buying every news paper heading to school the next day

Both games against Bristol City to win the cup the only Scottish team to do so. The away game driving down with my big mate who later turned to become a *** supporter ..... what a wanker! Can i take that as one?

Got to pick the 4-1 humping of Dundee Utd in the Scottish cup ... managed to get in after 15 mins gone as Ferguslie Utd kicked off early that day .... thanks Mitch Agnew for that favour.

Beating The jam tarts in the Scottish cup semi at hampden as getting totally pissed at Abercorn BC that night.

Then beating the green scum at hampden on our road to glory in 2013.

So many more to mention but Im picking those ..... great days just a pity a number of my school mates turned thier backs on THEIR HOME TEAM to head up the M8

But guess what? ...... Being a true a Buddie makes us unique ...... a lot of times its hard but hey when its good its so so so GOOD !

The 2-0 win away at Falkirk to keep us up in 2009. Probably the best single performance I've seen from a St Mirren side. Absolutely everything clicked into place that day. Every loose ball was ours, the football was intense, precise and purposeful. We could have walked away with 8-0 that day and it wouldn't have flattered us, we were that good.

Came very close to putting that into my list. We were excellent that day, under immense pressure.

St Mirren 3-2 Celtic – Cup semi-final, left a weekend in Newcastle with my pals early to get an early train home very tired and hungover with a knee in agony 2 weeks after dislocating it. Everyone wrote us off, my (non St Mirren supporting) pals thought I was mad but it was all worth it.

St Mirren 4-0 Celtic – Decided against going to this one after the that cup final against Rangers the weekend before, listened on the radio with my Dad and couldn’t believe what we were hearing. Gutted I wasn’t there.

Ayr 1-2 St Mirren – 99/00 season I was 9 and was the first year I went to the majority of games, we all thought we’d won the league went that goal went in as we wrongly thought Dunfermline were losing. Don’t think I appreciated how special that season was at the time, 16 seasons on I do now.

Motherwell 2-3 St Mirren – Another one I missed, was working in a shop at the time and couldn’t get the day off. Hiding in the warehouse listening to open all mics I thought it was all over at HT, think I gave the customers a fright when the 3rd went in and a massive shout came from the warehouse.

Raith Rovers 1-2 St Mirren – Fell about 5 rows down when the winner went in.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the 1-0 cup semi win against Hearts at Fir Park. That certainly sticks in my mind.

I have a shite memory, so most of the matches I remember most vividly have been in the period of the last 20 years or so.

The league clinching win against Raith was fantastic after a nervy first half. I agree on the 2-0 win at Falkirk being one of our best performances in my time as a St Mirren supporter (perhaps the best away support I can recall, too). The Great Escape for the swing in emotions and everything else about that game. Also the cup semi against Celtic was tremendous.

Most of the Matches mentioned I have great memories of.

Just like to add the 1-0 victory v Falkirk in the Millennium Season.

McKnight with the exhilarating winner.

One of many magnificent days following St Mirren.

Most of the Matches mentioned I have great memories of.

Just like to add the 1-0 victory v Falkirk in the Millennium Season.

McKnight with the exhilarating winner.

One of many magnificent days following St Mirren.

That was the game before the Ayr game wasn't it? Paul McKnight was the Isma of that season, showed up out of knowhere scored 2 vital goals and then dissapeared again. I remember Jens Paeslack leading the team in taking a bow to the fans at the end.

ETA - According to his wikipedia page McKnight played 21 times for us, dont remember him playing so many games.

Edited by irvine_buddie

For Me

Saints 3 Celtic 3 First season back , what a game. Jackie gets sent off at 1-1 we then go 3-1 up only to lose to late goals

Saints 6 Hearts 2. So much fun, best attacking performance ever

Saints 5 Fulham 3. Best Marsh the lot, Anglo Scottish

Saints 8 Clydebank 0, First game I took my son to, he thought we were best team in world (He doesn't any more)

Saints 4 Gers 1, end of season game 1981, went with school friends all supporting Gers, oh how I made them suffer!!!

Apart from all of the more obvious games mentioned, one that sticks out for me was the 4-4 home draw with league favourites Falkirk in 2002.

3-0 down at half-time with Lee Miller and Mark Kerr running the show for Falkirk. Then the boys got the finger out 2nd half with Junior Mendes for me having his best game in a Saints shirt and Martin Cameron bagging a hat-trick. Lee Miller scored 3 that day too but was probably the only time that season the Northbank was bouncing. Great entertainment!