St Mirren V Morton Spfl Championship 6/8/16

shull

Check out this team from the first game of last season:

Ridgers, Baird, Naismith, Kelly, Conlan, McMullan, Howieson, Agnew, Carswell, Mallan, Thompson

Only 3 remain. We're in a much better place now. 

Morton will beat us sooner rather than later but it seems unlikely it'll be this Saturday. They're short of players and we've got a pretty settled team with more experience and quality in it.

17 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Errrr.... Pedant alert... No they didn't.

They won three, drew one, and gained a bonus point thanks to the penalties! It still counts as a draw under the new format.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Black & White Army mobile app

Aye but the new format is stupid. A win is a win otherwise why bother with pens.

I definitely think we need another centre mid, but it looks like the budget has been used up unless we loan a couple of players out. Maybe one of these English clubs will buy McAllister and allow us to bring in another player...doubt it though.

I think it would be better if the wee man's good enough to be linked with these teams then get him in our squad/starting 11...then sell him for a fiver to Hibs :blink:

I know its very early days in new regime but where are the PR messages about this game to drum up a big crowd?
Club should be giving it 'get there early, we are expecting big crowd, etc'
Need more PR and showmanship. Always have done since Fergie era.

It's only Tuesday FS :lol:

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

It's only Tuesday FS :lol:

He's right though Top Cat. If you can't get optimism and excitement about the town for the first home match of the season, what hope have you got for the second or third if you haven't been winning. The clubs under new ownership, there should be a real attempt to build a buzz around this season and a bit of excitement but so far it's flat as anything. 

7 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

He's right though Top Cat. If you can't get optimism and excitement about the town for the first home match of the season, what hope have you got for the second or third if you haven't been winning. The clubs under new ownership, there should be a real attempt to build a buzz around this season and a bit of excitement but so far it's flat as anything. 

It's not flat for me . I can't wait for Saturday to come . 

A couple of wins should create a buzz for anyone that's lacking in that department .

COYS ! 

Excellent 

I'm really looking forward to this game

il be heading north with an Everton supporting Southern Softy!

il will also be bring my dad along! It may be one of his last visits to see the Saints live -at 76 and moving to Shrewsbury I can't see him making many more trips! So come on Saints play your part by providing a football spectacular with goals and a win!

im not sure what the deal is with the match day bar - but if any fellow buds are able or willing to grant access or sign in 3          nomadic Saints that would be most appreciated!

il be gutted if I can't purchase 3 tickets on Match day!

16 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

I know its very early days in new regime but where are the PR messages about this game to drum up a big crowd?
Club should be giving it 'get there early, we are expecting big crowd, etc'
Need more PR and showmanship. Always have done since Fergie era.

Too many false dawns. It will end up around the 5000 mark for the game I suspect, a 1-1 draw.

Was there ever huge excitement before a league match midweek? I certainly don't remember if there was. Most people have other things to be worrying about during the week than a football game.

I think there will be a good crowd for this one actually. Hopefully we will break the 5000 barrier. Anyone remember the last time we got 5000 for a game at SMP that wasn't against them or them?

14 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Was there ever huge excitement before a league match midweek? I certainly don't remember if there was. Most people have other things to be worrying about during the week than a football game.

I think there will be a good crowd for this one actually. Hopefully we will break the 5000 barrier. Anyone remember the last time we got 5000 for a game at SMP that wasn't against them or them?

Ach I don't know. It's too long ago since I was ever excited by anything St Mirren. I do remember in 1999 being well up for the new season and really being excited about the opening match against Ayr and banging on about it midweek to anyone who would listen to me but that might just have been because I was in Greenock. Prior to that I remember being excited for weeks before the Scottish Cup Semi Final and Final in 1987. It's a tough time of year to get people together since the schools are shut but you'd think that some sort of marketing would have started by now. 5,000 is great but wouldn't it be even better if it was closer to the 8,000 capacity and the club had managed to pull in a load of people who wouldn't normally get to matches? 

There must be others like me who were disillusioned and disaffected by the past regime who could possibly buy into the intentions of a community focused buy out if only they were able to read about the aspirations in the press, on the radio and in the news. 

The only thing 99% of supporters want to buy into is a winning team on the park. Virtually no one will ever be enticed to watch a football team because they are "community focused", only a winning team on the park will do that. Virtually all my local junior clubs are community friendly but unless they are playing well no one bothers. The clue is in the name St Mirren FOOTBALL club .

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The only thing 99% of supporters want to buy into is a winning team on the park. Virtually no one will ever be enticed to watch a football team because they are "community focused", only a winning team on the park will do that. Virtually all my local junior clubs are community friendly but unless they are playing well no one bothers. The clue is in the name St Mirren FOOTBALL club .

And yet today people still talk about the PR job Fergie did on the streets of Paisley. :huh: You'd almost think that some people learned nothing from history. Winning is important but it's the feeling of being part of something special that generates loyalty. If that wasn't the case the attendance at Greenhill Road would have been in single figures over the last few years. :rolleyes: 

We should have Tony or GLS on Radio Clyde doing an interview on Friday night drumming up interest.

We won't have a better chance with it being a home derby against them at 3pm on a Saturday with no TV coverage. Last season with TV coverage on the Friday night game we probably lost 1000-1500 so I would hope for between 5500 and 6000.but the club should be all over social media this week promoting it.

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

Lots of times they just fudged the figures.