St Mirren V Morton Spfl Championship 6/8/16

shull

While I am not defending Mallan's poor display yesterday I do not think he should be singled out. Gallacher for example hides most of the time he is on the pitch. He waits for someone to pass the ball to him. He never goes looking, never closes players down, doesn't move into space, and cannot tackle nor head a ball. He did get a couple of decent crosses in, in the first half, but his overall contribution to the middle of the park is very poor.

Thank to Sutton goal   :thumbs2   i can put my ear protection back into my locker since for 82 mins, i was fearing the soapdodgers in my work giving me earache :argue:  I also thought we looked a far better team with 3 at the back, and think 5 in the middle will help to make the chances that the front 2 players need.

4 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Thank to Sutton goal   :thumbs2   i can put my ear protection back into my locker since for 82 mins, i was fearing the soapdodgers in my work giving me earache :argue:  I also thought we looked a far better team with 3 at the back, and think 5 in the middle will help to make the chances that the front 2 players need.

After we went to 3 at the back we played 3 up front and continued with 4 midfielders.

To reply to an earlier poster... a bit concerning if a promising young footballer doesn't suit being played in a 4-4-2 in my book.

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

After we went to 3 at the back we played 3 up front and continued with 4 midfielders.

To reply to an earlier poster... a bit concerning if a promising young footballer doesn't suit being played in a 4-4-2 in my book.

Yes i know we went with 3 up front but i do feel we would be better with 5 in the middle for the whole 90 mins instead of chasing the game in the last 15 mins.

2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Yes i know we went with 3 up front but i do feel we would be better with 5 in the middle for the whole 90 mins instead of chasing the game in the last 15 mins.

One of the challenges facing Alex Rae will be keeping 4 good Championship level strikers happy and giving them a decent enough supply to get the best out of Clarkson, Sutton, Hardie and Shankland rather than feeding off scraps and battling to get aimless loose balls under control while tightly marked in the middle of the pitch with their backs to goal. Having Walsh on the opposite wing appears to end up giving Morgan a bit more room since if teams double up on him it leaves more room for Walsh on the other side and we seem to be able to stretch the opposition midfield and create more time and space for Hutton and Mallan as well and we also seem to get the ball down on the deck and show signs of team work rather than the high hoofs forward.

We may well face a few teams playing with only 1 out and out striker and 5 in the middle, and it is worth considering going with 3 at the back more often, and should our strikers turn out to have a good season it may also make sense to be using most of them in most games, rather than having a midfield 5 and a lone striker for example.

4-4-2 just doesn't seem to suit Mallan. Probably best playing behind the striker, but that means we'd have to sacrifice one of our 4 strikers...unless we start playing a diamond midfield. 

Agreed

Almost feel that with the personnel that we have we should be going 4-3-3 with Hardie and Morgan wide. Going 3 in the middle allows Mallan to play further forward and influence the game more with decent protection coming from Hutton and Quinn. I think that balances the team out better because yesterday our midfield was non existent.

Really hope there's room to squeeze another midfielder in whether that be by Mclear and Macallister going out on loan. Not sure whether Lappin is still available but surely his experience and composure would be a welcome addition to the middle of the park.

34 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Really hope there's room to squeeze another midfielder in whether that be by Mclear and Macallister going out on loan. Not sure whether Lappin is still available but surely his experience and composure would be a welcome addition to the middle of the park.

AR said after the game yesterday that the budget had been spent. Doubt we'd get much of a return, if any, from sending one of the young guys out on loan.

35 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Agreed

Almost feel that with the personnel that we have we should be going 4-3-3 with Hardie and Morgan wide. Going 3 in the middle allows Mallan to play further forward and influence the game more with decent protection coming from Hutton and Quinn. I think that balances the team out better because yesterday our midfield was non existent.

Hardie isn't a wide player.

Raith fans were saying that he has to be played as a central striker through the middle to get the best out of him.

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, managers always change things after 20 minutes. :lol:

Maybe if he had changed it we wouldn't have lost the goal. Doesn't need to be subbing a player but just a change in shape. we were bloody terrible in the first 20 minutes and could have been 3 down very easily. The midfield was crying out for an extra body in there yet Rae was content to see us be over ran and played around. Thats why in my opinion he should have done something.

22 hours ago, John Gotti said:

I thought I was just pissed off with the score but totally agree both have been brutal.......also he needs to stop f**king saying "pinged"

Aye, I've never heard that term before, every time there was a foul "the ref has pinged him for that". I loved the Saints TV last season and will continue to watch it but might turn the sound down a bit. But the coverage is generally very good. Maybe they are trying to make things a bit more professional by constantly offering different angles but it just didn't seem to work

Terrible performance yesterday, although I can't remember the last time we had a decent opener.

I gave AR the benefit of the doubt during the cup games as it was technically pre-season.

But it has became obvious now that Mallan is a luxury we can't afford in a four man midfield as he just simply isn't good enough when it comes to defending and winning the ball back.

Hutton has been taking pelters but he's trying to do the work of two men so it's no surprise he's running about like a headless chicken.

I also think with a 4-4-2 we're very static and there's a real lack of movement. It's clear what passes we are going to make and if the opposition is sitting in, we're creating nothing.

We can't play the long ball game without Sutton on the park.

I think 3-5-2 is generally a good fit for us. Walsh and Morgan are both young players and should have engine to be able to get up and down the park. Five in the midfield will allow Mallan to have a free role behind the front two. It will give us more control and allow us to create more.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Naismith in the old Goodwin role just to see if it would be a good fit. I can see him winning the ball and driving forward.

I'll be at Raith next week, but big improvement is needed.

Guest TPAFKATS

I thought we were clueless yesterday until we scored. We didn't press Morton at all and there was a real lack of movement from the front men which meant we had to resort to floating high balls to a forward who was jumping from a standing position so invariably lost out to the defender.
The midfield were also sitting too deep most of the time so if we did win the ball the forwards were too isolated.

If most of us on here could notice the lack of movement then we need to assume that the manager has as well, however it's worrying that it seemed to be a tactical decision as opposed to the individual players doing.

Sent fae ma fone

2 hours ago, ronaldo said:

Maybe if he had changed it we wouldn't have lost the goal. Doesn't need to be subbing a player but just a change in shape. we were bloody terrible in the first 20 minutes and could have been 3 down very easily. The midfield was crying out for an extra body in there yet Rae was content to see us be over ran and played around. Thats why in my opinion he should have done something.

Only one small problem...... the Goal was scored in 17 minutes !!:rolleyes:

An other thing that pisses me off in the diddy league is not knowing how long is being added at the end of the game by the ref. Surely word could be given to the tannoy announcer who could tell us (apart from shull that is) what is being added on :rolleyes:

An other thing that pisses me off in the diddy league is not knowing how long is being added at the end of the game by the ref. Surely word could be given to the tannoy announcer who could tell us (apart from shull that is) what is being added on :rolleyes:

I thought I saw a board held up... Although it was not turned towards the fans in the South Stand.

That said, the announcer very clearly stated over the tannoy that shhhhcrrrshhcrmumblemumblecrrrrshhhhhhhhhhhhhb.

Any idea how long to go?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Black & White Army mobile app

I'd be tempted to try Clarkson in midfeild to be honest. He's got a decent work-rate, gets stuck in and can win a header. We need a bit more solidity in there just now.

Totally agree. I can't believe the stick he is getting.

He has ability, dig, effort and a great ability to read the game.

I think he could well be a revelation in midfield.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Black & White Army mobile app