Top 5 Friendlies To Relive

Legia Warsaw game aside (cos I wasnae there) cannae disagree with any of them.

My big cousin Liz was one of the cheerleaders at the Rowdies game. Oh the glamorous old days!

ETA:- Mind you, beating Aston Villa in 1987 was good if only to get it right up their chairman Doug Ellis who'd denigrated the standard of the Scottish league prior to the match.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

My favourite was against Caledonian at Telford Street (before they merged with Inverness Thistle and moved ground).

Jimmy Bone was manager back then and Barry McLaughlin was playing as a striker pre season and scoring a few goals.

As Caley were non league there was no restriction on alcohol being brought into the ground and it was a hot summer's day...

You can just imagine...

Anyway, we were 2-0 down and I think McLaughlin scored twice late on to get us a draw.

The best bit was when a Caley striker was clean through on goal and a Saints fan in the crowd blew a whistle.

The striker stopped in his tracks and the Saints defence got back to clear!

Kenny McDowall, by then a coach, was despatched to go round to find the culprit and confiscate said whistle...

Edited by nosferatu

Legia Warsaw game aside (cos I wasnae there) cannae disagree with any of them.

My big cousin Liz was one of the cheerleaders at the Rowdies game. Oh the glamorous old days!

ETA:- Mind you, beating Aston Villa in 1987 was good if only to get it right up their chairman Doug Ellis who'd denigrated the standard of the Scottish league prior to the match.

IIRC, we tried to sign Alan McInally from Villa after that game? He couldn't get a game for them at the time I think.

The deal was put on hold due to Villa injuries however.

McInally duly went on a scoring spree and forced himself into the Scotland side and earned a move to Bayern Munich!

Favourite friendly that comes to mind was against St Johnstone at Love Street in 2001 when four players got sent off and Alan Main got booed all afternoon. Was better than most of the league games that season.

IIRC, we tried to sign Alan McInally from Villa after that game? He couldn't get a game for them at the time I think.

The deal was put on hold due to Villa injuries however.

McInally duly went on a scoring spree and forced himself into the Scotland side and earned a move to Bayern Munich!

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1988&GameID=2321

We did try to sign McInally but Villa wouldn't let him go as Warren Aspinal had been sent off against us for a horrific tackle and received a lengthy ban.This let McInally back into the team.

Beating QPR 3-2 with 16 year old Danny Divers scoring the winner and then disappeared

Beating Leeds 3-1 with Stevie Clarke scoring on his debut

Beating West Ham 3-0 with Campbell Money saving a Ray Stewart penalty

Beating Middlesbourgh 1-0 with McGarvey ripping Pallister a new one

Beating Rangers 2-1 with McGarry scoring twice

Beating QPR 3-2 with 16 year old Danny Divers scoring the winner and then disappeared

Beating Leeds 3-1 with Stevie Clarke scoring on his debut

Beating West Ham 3-0 with Campbell Money saving a Ray Stewart penalty

Beating Middlesbourgh 1-0 with McGarvey ripping Pallister a new one

Beating Rangers 2-1 with McGarry scoring twice

Did Danny Diver not actually score all 3 goals in that game?

He went on to play for Morton, Albion Rovers, East Stirling, Stranraer, Arbroath, Alloa, Hamilton & Ayr as well as playing for clubs in Denmark and Belgium (according to Wikipedia).

It also says that Diver's dispute with the Belgian club R.R.C. Tournaisien in the late 1980s in connection with player registration contributed to the later legal framework for the Bosman ruling.

Fairly decent goalscoring record too.

Did Danny Diver not actually score all 3 goals in that game?

He went on to play for Morton, Albion Rovers, East Stirling, Stranraer, Arbroath, Alloa, Hamilton & Ayr as well as playing for clubs in Denmark and Belgium (according to Wikipedia).

It also says that Diver's dispute with the Belgian club R.R.C. Tournaisien in the late 1980s in connection with player registration contributed to the later legal framework for the Bosman ruling.

Fairly decent goalscoring record too.

No he came on the last 10 mins and scored with his very first touch

I think if going by memory the guy with a shaggy perm McEarchern or something scored twice

QPR had some team out Clive Allen,Stainrod and co

Diver played the next game against Morton and got some press coverage then disappeared from us

I saw him next down the Pitz playing against us,he was playing junior fitba at the time with Pollock

I think if going by memory the guy with a shaggy perm McEarchern or something scored twice

QPR had some team out Clive Allen,Stainrod and co

Diver played the next game against Morton and got some press coverage then disappeared from us

I saw him next down the Pitz playing against us,he was playing junior fitba at the time with Pollock

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1983&GameID=2006

Danny Diver now works in The Kibble.

Yeh, that rings a bell.

EDIT, just read HSS' post, you were spot on!

And QPR did indeed have some team out that day... as did Saints!

Edited by nosferatu

My favourite was against Caledonian at Telford Street (before they merged with Inverness Thistle and moved ground).

Jimmy Bone was manager back then and Barry McLaughlin was playing as a striker pre season and scoring a few goals.

As Caley were non league there was no restriction on alcohol being brought into the ground and it was a hot summer's day...

You can just imagine...

Anyway, we were 2-0 down and I think McLaughlin scored twice late on to get us a draw.

The best bit was when a Caley striker was clean through on goal and a Saints fan in the crowd blew a whistle.

The striker stopped in his tracks and the Saints defence got back to clear!

Kenny McDowall, by then a coach, was despatched to go round to find the culprit and confiscate said whistle...

Have very sketchy memories of that game. Couldn't have told you the score but remember jumping over the wall at the back of the terracing to fetch more beers from the supermarket then climbing back in.

Oh aye, and ending up on the pitch after we scored..

Messy.

Have very sketchy memories of that game. Couldn't have told you the score but remember jumping over the wall at the back of the terracing to fetch more beers from the supermarket then climbing back in.

Oh aye, and ending up on the pitch after we scored..

Messy.

Just checked out the stats and it was Lavety who scored the first but McLaughlin did get the equaliser after coming on as a sub.

The West Brom match in 1977 is the best friendly football match I've ever seen......like ever!

Remember that cos West Brom were so good Didn't they have Cyril Regis Laurie Cunningham and Ally Brown? Yet our young Fergies Furies matched them Fabulous game of football even if it was played at Ipox

Edited by Danny

Not sure it qualifies as a friendly but Liverpool at Love St in 77 for the centenary year. Damned competitive game and I can still recall the goose bumps on the night watching us compete with the current European Champions and holding our own. They had their full strength 1st team playing as well. You wouldn't see an English Premier League manager bring a full 1st team squad to Saints now I'm afraid.

Not sure it qualifies as a friendly but Liverpool at Love St in 77 for the centenary year. Damned competitive game and I can still recall the goose bumps on the night watching us compete with the current European Champions and holding our own. They had their full strength 1st team playing as well. You wouldn't see an English Premier League manager bring a full 1st team squad to Saints now I'm afraid.

Definitely counts as a Friendly.