Just When You Think It's All Over - Rival Bid

Langbank

I have always been against rich sugar daddies getting involved in a Club as they either A get bored and walk away leaving a mess or B die and leave a mess.

Rich takeovers are usually about short-term goals. However if there were long term commitments that could change things. While I have supported the 10k and the SMiSA bids I think we would be daft to not at least investigate what another bid is offering and who is involved.

Edited by Sonny

Just had my cornflakes now, so went and read the story linked to by the OP... 'In a Manchester City way....', 'with Qatari sponsored players could win the league....', 'European football'....'they want to be part of the sports village'.

In the name of everything that is preceeded by the words 'fcuk off and pull the other one it's got bells on...'

Was it Stu who posted someone forgot to cancel this week's 'rival bid' story? I'm away for a coffee, someone wake me up when the following happens - we are in the Champions League Final with 11 Qatari-sponsored players, and I've just won the Masters and shagged Kylie Minogue.

Might have a chocolate hob-nob with that coffee.

Edited by pozbaird

More I think about it the more that this would be disastrous.

Would anyone seriously accept a couple of cup wins and a possible league challenge in the next 5 years (at best!) for the inevitable decade long task of picking the pieces up of a club left in ruins (at best) which will invariably happen?

Edited by djchapsticks

Just had my cornflakes now, so went and read the story linked to by the OP... 'In a Manchester City way....', 'with Qatari sponsored players could win the league....', 'European football'....'they want to be part of the sports village'.

In the name of everything that is preceeded by the words 'fcuk off and pull the other one it's got bells on...'

Was it Stu who posted someone forgot to cancel this week's 'rival bid' story? I'm away for a coffee, someone wake me up when the following happens - we are in the Champions League Final with 11 Qatari-sponsored players, and I've just won the Masters and shagged Kylie Minogue.

Might have a chocolate hob-nob with that coffee.

We'll still be waiting on the hall of fame board getting updated though...

Langfield

Mohammed bin Than

Jassim bin Mohammed Al Thani

Mohammed bin Jassim Al Thani

Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani

Ali bin Abdullah Al Thani

Ahmad bin Ali Al Thani

Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani

Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani

Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani

Sutton

Championees, championees....

Does anyone really want people from a country like this anywhere near club? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33019838

Who cares, if we're rampaging through Europe, signing superstars, winning the league every year and getting it right up the Morton. Get some of these workers toiling in the Qatari heat to come over here and build the Renfrewshire Sports Village. Lazy fcukers - holding up our bid for world domination so they are

Sergio Ramos and Andries Iniesta already shitting themselves at having to go to Dunfermline away on a Tuesday night in January.

Fitzy: 'That boy Iniesta really is worth a million'.

More I think about it the more that this would be disastrous.

Would anyone seriously accept a couple of cup wins and a possible league challenge in the next 5 years (at best!) for the inevitable decade long task of picking the pieces up of a club left in ruins (at best) which will invariably happen?

To be fair mate what have we done the last decade? We won a cup which was incredible but we blew it and failed to kick on. Got relegated and after 9 years of premiership football find ourselves back at square one.

Every single club that came up after us finished above us at some point or another while we propped up the table and stagnated, Christ even Hamilton found time to get relegated, get promoted and finish above us. Not once did we even look like breaking into the top 6.

Im not saying lets dive in but let's at least hear what they have to say. If there's a long term strategy and they are really in it for the long haul then I would take it if only to save us from a decade of the same stagnant shit. By the sounds of it they seem interested in the development of the club and the surrounding area. Saying all this I still think fan ownership will go through and I'll be paying my £12. We can but dream.

It is not really that much more than fans bid...certainly not enough IMHO to make the consortium change direction.

Remember a good proportion to that 300k buys GLS shares.

If the Qataris are insisting on 76% surely GLS can just tell them they can't have his shares as he's part of a rival bid?

If the Qataris are insisting on 76% surely GLS can just tell them they can't have his shares as he's part of a rival bid?

I wondered too but according to the article he's still bound by an old agreement possibly from the time of the Argie bid although "several years ago" doesn't seem to fit that timeframe.

Following a deal struck several years ago, Scott is one of several St Mirren shareholders legally bound to off-load their personal stake in the club to the selling consortium should they accept a deal with another buyer.

Edited by Bud the Baker

To be fair mate what have we done the last decade? We won a cup which was incredible but we blew it and failed to kick on. Got relegated and after 9 years of premiership football find ourselves back at square one.

Every single club that came up after us finished above us at some point or another while we propped up the table and stagnated, Christ even Hamilton found time to get relegated, get promoted and finish above us. Not once did we even look like breaking into the top 6.

Im not saying lets dive in but let's at least hear what they have to say. If there's a long term strategy and they are really in it for the long haul then I would take it if only to save us from a decade of the same stagnant shit. By the sounds of it they seem interested in the development of the club and the surrounding area. Saying all this I still think fan ownership will go through and I'll be paying my £12. We can but dream.

Surely this would only bear the most scant consideration if we were desperate and had no other viable option (even then....).

As things stand - right now - we have well exceeded the target to secure fan ownership in the medium term. There is scope for fresh impetus, drive, and ideas. You and me can be a part of the next chapter in our club's history.

I'm not going to satisfy Faraway by going into hysteria mode over this, as I think it is even less likely than Novo signing was, but, as DJ says, this would be disastrous. I can think of no reason to want it to happen. None whatsoever.

The selling consortium would need to look at any serious bid and I noticed the article mentioned the bid was last week. Perhaps the Qatari's and the consortium were looking at the SMISA numbers at that time and wondering if the target would be reached ?

The thing I think everyone is missing is that they are going to support the council with the 15 million sports centre now if that is financialy surely they must be a safe bet to take on board as I don't think it would be in there best interest to try swindle a town council .

A rival bid has been doing the rounds for weeks so for sure SG has known about this quatar bid. The fact SG has tweeted a positive post on the fans bid says it all for me. St Mirren will be in the hands of the fans that's all that matters.

FFS

Nae u

Be telt

The thing I think everyone is missing is that they are going to support the council with the 15 million sports centre now if that is financialy surely they must be a safe bet to take on board as I don't think it would be in there best interest to try swindle a town council .

One question, though:

Why would they do that?

Nah, shitty sticks etc.

We have a new(ish) stadium, our own training facilities and an air dome with no debt.

9 years of top flight football and a national trophy in our cabinet is really good going compared to the 90's. Teams like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Raith and Morton would give their left nut for what we achieved in the last decade.

Yes Hamilton, StJ, Motherwell and ICT out performed us but we done a hell of a lot better than teams similar size to us, without going into debt.

I wouldn't say we are back at square one because we have much more going for us now and don't have a crumbling stadium to maintain and a debt to service.

This division is still a pain in the arse to get out of though.

Why the f**k would they care about the council :lol:

One question, though:

Why would they do that?

Nah, shitty sticks etc.

If they were going to build a fancy training centre, surely better to find someone that's going to foot some of the bill for you.

We have a new(ish) stadium, our own training facilities and an air dome with no debt.

9 years of top flight football and a national trophy in our cabinet is really good going compared to the 90's. Teams like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Raith and Morton would give their left nut for what we achieved in the last decade.

Yes Hamilton, StJ, Motherwell and ICT out performed us but we done a hell of a lot better than teams similar size to us, without going into debt.

I wouldn't say we are back at square one because we have much more going for us now and don't have a crumbling stadium to maintain and a debt to service.

This division is still a pain in the arse to get out of though.

Fair enough. The stadium, training complex and no debt is smashing and a testament as to how well Gilmour and co have run the club but at the end of the day it doesn't change the fact that the club (any club for that matter) needs an injection of cash to even make a stamp in the game. GLS has already stated hes not pumping anymore of his cash into the club and he'll be trying to find revenue from other avenues ie. Glasgow Airport but if that doesn't come off its gonna be pretty much the same unless we find 4000 more season ticket holders.

Perfect example is Ross County, small club but basically have one man bearing the financial burden and moving the club forward. Top 6 and a national trophy. They've achieved more than us in less time.

I'm skeptical about the Qatari's bid and the timing of it and it would take a lot for them to convince the fan base. They would probably need to go public with their plans but these guys and their investment could probably have us consistently in the top 6 with their spare change. If sensibly managed of course.

To be fair to Robert he will have talked to Consortium members IMHO to put this to bed. This bid such as it is was not plan B.

There have been three enquires including smisa in recent times.

Cannot see plan B raising their heads at all now unless GLS due diligence fails

Edited by rea