Just When You Think It's All Over - Rival Bid

Langbank

Perfect example is Ross County, small club but basically have one man bearing the financial burden and moving the club forward. Top 6 and a national trophy. They've achieved more than us in less time.

And once Uncle Roy departs, it's very likely they will struggle to maintain this level of achievement.

I live in the Middle East and your typical Gulf arab is football daft. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool daft; NOT Scottish second-tier provincial club that they've never heard of daft. St Mirren is not the sort of "sleeping giant" that Man City or Chelsea were before Abrahmovic & Abu Dhabi Inc. investment arrived.

Anyway, if it was to happen, wouldn't such investment lead us down a route that could see the club on the wrong side of financial fair play requirements with the salaries necessary to attract the sort of players to achieve such lofty goals being too large a proportional of overall turnover, to name one hurdle.

God forbid that there is any mileage in this. OK, some Qatari sugar-daddy could flood the club with cash and take a controlling interest enabling him and his puppet, sorry, manager to bring in a team of promising kids and one-time stars and journeymen in an attempt to buy success. Look how long it took Chelski and Man City to get to the top with the backing they had, and the problems they had in staying there. All very flash in the pan and knee-jerk with the sacking of managers who either don't meet expectations or agree to what the sugar-daddy demands.

All sounds way too fishy for me.

As an aside, while living out here, my wife was friends with a European lady whose husband coached/managed one of the less glamorous local teams and in his first season took them to the final of the national cup competition and their best league placing in years. He was rewarded with a new contract offering him significantly less than he was on in his first year. Is that the sort of ownership we want?????

How much money do you think it would take to win the Scottish premier? With the right manager I'd guess it could be as little as 5 million. Not a bad investment for champions league football

To be fair to Robert he will have talked to Consortium members IMHO to put this to bed. This bid such as it is was not plan B.

There have been three enquires including smisa in recent times.

Cannot see plan B raising their heads at all now unless GLS due diligence fails

Plan A: Atkinson

Plan B: BuytheBuds

Plan C: Chico

Close?

How much money do you think it would take to win the Scottish premier? With the right manager I'd guess it could be as little as 5 million. Not a bad investment for champions league football

One game of Champions League qualifying 2nd round at best

Yeah, five million and a decent manager to win the top flight. Makes you wonder why Aberdeen cannae' manage it.

Anyway, back in the real world... Gie's a fcuking signing. Qatari-sponsored or otherwise.

Edited by pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS

I'm not aware of Qatari owners bailing on clubs they have bought?

At the same time I'm not seeing what the potential is for rich Arabs in investing millions in a small provincial club named after a Christian Saint who only have an 8000 seater stadium?

Well its a lot cheaper to buy St Mirren than an EPL club. If the aim is to make money from either player transfers or Europe or local merchandising in the Middle East then maybe it would be a risk a Middle East consortium are willing to take. Or maybe its just a pastime.

Some takeovers have been successful but few in Scotland with one notable exception.

Gretna would never work as they had no fan base to ever sustain the Club. Likewise with Livingston.

Dundee, Sevco and Well simply paid for players they could not afford and ran up debts. Similar with Hearts but they had a madman in charge. The rest had fools.

However Clubs like Ross County and St Johnstone have had rich benefactors who's priority was to secure the Club first and foremost and ensure a solid base in the event of the benefactor not being around. St Johnstone allegedly generate £1M per annum more than us with less fans and no debt so their benefactors (Brown family) have helped the Fakes in the right way.

RC are hitting above their weight but again have no debt and if McGregor goes they return to their natural level that their fan base can support - good while it lasted but the Club continues ok with the benefactor.

If new owners clear all debt, improve the permanent infrastructure and do not let the club go into any debt then they can be good for a Club and the new owner. Ask Fergus McCann. Not all foreign takeovers are bad.

Well its a lot cheaper to buy St Mirren than an EPL club. If the aim is to make money from either player transfers or Europe or local merchandising in the Middle East then maybe it would be a risk a Middle East consortium are willing to take. Or maybe its just a pastime.

Some takeovers have been successful but few in Scotland with one notable exception.

Gretna would never work as they had no fan base to ever sustain the Club. Likewise with Livingston.

Dundee, Sevco and Well simply paid for players they could not afford and ran up debts. Similar with Hearts but they had a madman in charge. The rest had fools.

However Clubs like Ross County and St Johnstone have had rich benefactors who's priority was to secure the Club first and foremost and ensure a solid base in the event of the benefactor not being around. St Johnstone allegedly generate £1M per annum more than us with less fans and no debt so their benefactors (Brown family) have helped the Fakes in the right way.

RC are hitting above their weight but again have no debt and if McGregor goes they return to their natural level that their fan base can support - good while it lasted but the Club continues ok with the benefactor.

If new owners clear all debt, improve the permanent infrastructure and do not let the club go into any debt then they can be good for a Club and the new owner. Ask Fergus McCann. Not all foreign takeovers are bad.

I agree - not all foreign takeovers are bad. Sheik Mansoor at Man City and Abramovich at Chelsea have thrown zillions at their clubs, and seem to be in it for the long haul. Those clubs were hardly Accrington Stanley or Crewe Alexandra to start with though, and these guys fancied 'the journey'. At Cardiff, the foreign owner wanted to change them to a red-clad Malaysian themed outfit, the Hull owners wanted to change their name. The Venkys at Blackburn were great, what about Portsmouth? Birmingham City now under foreign ownership. Man Utd and Liverpool flying the stars and stripes. Could go on. Leicester City?

Russians, Oil sheiks, Indians, Malaysians, Americans.... Whoever. The kind of clubs they are breezing into are either IN the EPL land of milk and honey and worldwide media attention, or the pathway to that promised land is there.

Qataris and St Mirren?

I really need to say that again. Got their eyes on the promised land of an Irish or Welsh away-day in the Bells Ramsdens B&Q Petrofac Challenge Diddy Cup have they?

Aye, so they have. My suspicion levels and my raised eyebrow are so high they just hit the top of Mount Everest. Where's Karen Dunbar to say 'I smell shite!' when you need her.

Edited by pozbaird

We are not a sleeping giant. There is no great potential beyond getting back into the SPFL and perhaps playing a few games in early rounds of the Europa League. We are a small club and will always be a small club.

Why would these people waste substantial amounts of their cash on a wee club that has a (not too distant) ceiling on what it can achieve? Much more likely they have ulterior motives and we would become the next Livingston, Darlington, Gretna, etc.

I agree - not all foreign takeovers are bad. Sheik Mansoor at Man City and Abramovich at Chelsea have thrown zillions at their clubs, and seem to be in it for the long haul. Those clubs were hardly Accrington Stanley or Crewe Alexandra to start with though, and these guys fancied 'the journey'. At Cardiff, the foreign owner wanted to change them to a red-clad Malaysian themed outfit, the Hull owners wanted to change their name. The Venkys at Blackburn were great, what about Portsmouth? Birmingham City now under foreign ownership. Man Utd and Liverpool flying the stars and stripes. Could go on. Leicester City?

Russians, Oil sheiks, Indians, Malaysians, Americans.... Whoever. The kind of clubs they are breezing into are either IN the EPL land of milk and honey and worldwide media attention, or the pathway to that promised land is there.

Qataris and St Mirren?

I really need to say that again. Got their eyes on the promised land of an Irish or Welsh away-day in the Bells Ramsdens B&Q Petrofac Challenge Diddy Cup have they?

Aye, so they have. My suspicion levels and my raised eyebrow are so high they just hit the top of Mount Everest. Where's Karen Dunbar to say 'I smell shite!' when you need her.

https://youtu.be/fc1iipvzr4s

We are not a sleeping giant. There is no great potential beyond getting back into the SPFL and perhaps playing a few games in early rounds of the Europa League. We are a small club and will always be a small club.

Why would these people waste substantial amounts of their cash on a wee club that has a (not too distant) ceiling on what it can achieve? Much more likely they have ulterior motives and we would become the next Livingston, Darlington, Gretna, etc.

We are in the SPFL.

Most of the Media pundits don't know either and don't care.

As long as they have their main match 4 times a year they are happy.