Just When You Think It's All Over - Rival Bid

Langbank

I agree - not all foreign takeovers are bad. Sheik Mansoor at Man City and Abramovich at Chelsea have thrown zillions at their clubs, and seem to be in it for the long haul. Those clubs were hardly Accrington Stanley or Crewe Alexandra to start with though, and these guys fancied 'the journey'. At Cardiff, the foreign owner wanted to change them to a red-clad Malaysian themed outfit, the Hull owners wanted to change their name. The Venkys at Blackburn were great, what about Portsmouth? Birmingham City now under foreign ownership. Man Utd and Liverpool flying the stars and stripes. Could go on. Leicester City?

Russians, Oil sheiks, Indians, Malaysians, Americans.... Whoever. The kind of clubs they are breezing into are either IN the EPL land of milk and honey and worldwide media attention, or the pathway to that promised land is there.

Qataris and St Mirren?

I really need to say that again. Got their eyes on the promised land of an Irish or Welsh away-day in the Bells Ramsdens B&Q Petrofac Challenge Diddy Cup have they?

Aye, so they have. My suspicion levels and my raised eyebrow are so high they just hit the top of Mount Everest. Where's Karen Dunbar to say 'I smell shite!' when you need her.

I suspect you are right Poz. I am just pointing out that not all takeovers are bad and that if any comes along they should be looked at and not dismissed out of hand. Allegedly there have been in the region of 50 declarations of interest over the years we have been for sale and a Qatar bid is probably just more rubbish.

Ayr Utd now has an American owner who has helped with their debt with Ayr now gaining promotion but living within their means. Who knows what motivates people. I doubt Lachlan Cameron will get his money back.

Guest TPAFKATS

As far as I can find out up here, Uncle Roy has/is cutting back compared to previous years money throwing.

He doesn't have the cash for them to win the league, they've won a cup and are now established top flight. Not much else to do for him?

Does anyone know the background of the Qatari's?

• Oil & Gas.

• Construction.

• manufacturers and suppliers of stuffed camels.

The reason I ask is (I'm no expert on this and how it works in the UK) The Qatari's may be looking for a foothold in the UK for other business interests.

From my own experience working for a UK company overseas, the U.K. company had to have a partnership with a company within the country in which it wished to do business.

With the asking price for St Mirren not being relatively high in the grander scheme of things then the Qatari's could see St Mirren as a foot in the door so to speak which in turn could allow them to expand their other interests within the UK and Europe, meaning their initial outlay could be recouped within a matter of years.

I for one would be interested to see their proposals before casting judgment.

Does anyone know the background of the Qatari's?

Oil & Gas.

Construction.

manufacturers and suppliers of stuffed camels.

The reason I ask is (I'm no expert on this and how it works in the UK) The Qatari's may be looking for a foothold in the UK for other business interests.

From my own experience working for a UK company overseas, the U.K. company had to have a partnership with a company within the country in which it wished to do business.

With the asking price for St Mirren not being relatively high in the grander scheme of things then the Qatari's could see St Mirren as a foot in the door so to speak which in turn could allow them to expand their other interests within the UK and Europe, meaning their initial outlay could be recouped within a matter of years.

I for one would be interested to see their proposals before casting judgment.

Not having a dig, but if the Qataris interest in St Mirren was that it allowed them a foothold into the lucrative Scottish stuffed camel market, then fcukum.

These Qataris, they're rascals. Funny guys.

Edited by pozbaird

If the Qatari consortium had really wanted to buy the club they could have done it anytime over the last 7.5 years.

Hell they could have nipped in last week and gazumped the fans bid if they really wanted to.

Now? No chance of anything stopping #BuyTheBuds.

Not having a dig, but if the Qataris interest in St Mirren was that it allowed them a foothold into the lucrative Scottish stuffed camel market, then fcukum.

These Qataris, they're rascals. Funny guys.

Absolutely.

Owning the club must only be an end in itself, not a means to a further end.

If spending wasn't sustained, why would we die?

What about Gretna?

If owners pull plug, leaving a squad of 25 players earning say,10k a week with years left on their contracts, our 2500 hardcore support will not be able to sustain it.

So,we are Gretna.

If the Qatari consortium had really wanted to buy the club they could have done it anytime over the last 7.5 years.

Hell they could have nipped in last week and gazumped the fans bid if they really wanted to.

Now? No chance of anything stopping #BuyTheBuds.

Not even John Sutton not signing?

:)

some of the press have it in for us after we stood shoulder to shoulder with Ross County a few years ago

the past 2 pre-seasons they have ran with the same story of the young player getting paid 10p and hour or something like that

and now they are trying to unsettle the feel good factor at the club

iggy and move on