Gary Mackenzie Signs

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I can't believe anyone is suggesting a professional manager would sign a player who he knows and plays in a position "well covered" because he cannot attract players in the positions we lack - seriously ?????

That has to be one of the most mental things I've read on here yet. 

More mental than a professional manager saying that he doesn't need any more central defenders, needs to sign players for other positions.....

and then signs another central defender?

Seriously?????

That has to be one of the most mental things I've read on here yet.

Think the manager has said previously that if a good player becomes available, within our price range, and he's willing to come to the club then we'd be more than happy to take him.

Yes it's true we have plenty cover at CH now but the reality is that this is a guy who was called up to the full Scotland squad just 4 years ago and was playing in the English Championship the season before last.

I don't know about anyone else but the thought of having Gordon, Webster and MacKenzie all fighting it out to be playing in the middle of our defence appeals to me.

If this all means Jack Baird may well find himself loaned out then I can't really see that being a bad thing for him or the club.

Last season we started the season with Sean Kelly & Jack Baird as our preferred central defensive pairing. It's a wonder we weren't relegated.

17 hours ago, TopCat said:

Defence looks more than okay... We need strikers though.

We let go Thompson and Shankland and have brought in ... No one to replace them.

Shanks wasn't our player to keep.

Thommo hardly kicked a ball last season.

We absolutely do need strikers though, there is no doubt about that. The shopping list is two strikers, one left sided midfielder and one goalkeeper. I think that's all we need.

7 minutes ago, div said:

We absolutely do need strikers though, there is no doubt about that. The shopping list is two strikers, one left sided midfielder and one goalkeeper. I think that's all we need.

Two strikers Div? Is that excluding or including the imminent arrival of Sir Sutto' of Smurrrn?

5 minutes ago, div said:

A 2nd choice keeper shouldn't be too hard to source (even as a loan deal).

Left sided mid? We need someone who can deliver a decent cross, and a bit of pace would be a bonus. A tougher ask, then.

Two strikers will be the greatest challenge. Getting Shankland back would be ideal, but we won't know if that is even a remote possibility for a few weeks yet, I wouldn't have thought. Sutton? Let's gloss over that one for now.

Our fortune for the season ahead could hinge on whether Rae manages to bring in a couple of decent strikers.  It'll be intriguing to see what he comes up with.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Two strikers Div? Is that excluding or including the imminent arrival of Sir Sutto' of Smurrrn?

Sutton is one of those two. I think we need some pace from a second striker. Those two plus Clarkson and with backup from Gallagher if we need him should suffice.

so has Dan wilks been officially released div?if so obviously need decent back up keeper.you want players playing for jersey.not one week play crap but cos there no one else they know they will play again the following week.need to keep them on there toes so if have couple of bad games they out team.big Jamie clangers knows if he rotten he still getting a game..where as defense now looks great for ability n strengh n competition

1 minute ago, paul torfason said:

so has Dan wilks been officially released div?if so obviously need decent back up keeper.you want players playing for jersey.not one week play crap but cos there no one else they know they will play again the following week.need to keep them on there toes so if have couple of bad games they out team.big Jamie clangers knows if he rotten he still getting a game..where as defense now looks great for ability n strengh n competition

Haven't seen any confirmation of Wilks leaving but going by the PFA site he's a free agent so sure looks like it.

I'd like to see us getting a decent keeper in too. Langfield is decent but I'd prefer him to be backup and coach to a younger keeper. Not sure if we can afford that luxury but that's what I would hope for!

cheers bud..wasn't having pop at big Jamie as he a good guy.just meaning its good for competition if players no if they drop there standards they still first pick..the last couple of years we have had no option but to play them again as nobody else..a mean guys like Sean Kelly n Baird should never b a automatic pick.but that shows you how bad a squad we had.baird in a couple o years.but not every week..all good managers start building from the back and am quietly confident if we get 3-4 good players in we will win more than we lose...

1 hour ago, div said:

Think the manager has said previously that if a good player becomes available, within our price range, and he's willing to come to the club then we'd be more than happy to take him.

Yes it's true we have plenty cover at CH now but the reality is that this is a guy who was called up to the full Scotland squad just 4 years ago and was playing in the English Championship the season before last.

I don't know about anyone else but the thought of having Gordon, Webster and MacKenzie all fighting it out to be playing in the middle of our defence appeals to me.

That is all true.

But what is also true is that Rae said he didn't need any more central defenders.

And then signed a central defender.

That is all true.

But what is also true is that Rae said he didn't need any more central defenders.

Your getting old Andy. If the manager thought there was talent for a position we already had cover for he would take him if he wanted to come to the club. Hey presto !

40 minutes ago, nosferatu said:

That is all true.

At the end of the day, I would rather have him than not.

2 hours ago, div said:

One MORE striker Div? :P

Edited by stlucifer