Squad List: 2016/2017

Thought it'd be useful to start a topic with a list of the current squad, and to update it along the way when we make signings. Next to the players I've listed the positions that each player can play, based on what I've seen or heard. Feel free to add suggestions or amendments! Maybe a mod could pin this for easy reference? Just an idea.

Goalkeepers

Jamie Langfield

Scott Gallacher

Defenders

Jason Naismith (RB/CB )

Gary Irvine (LB/RB )

Jack Baird (CB )

Ben Gordon (CB )

Andy Webster (CB )

Gary Mackenzie (CB )

Midfielders

Rocco Quinn (CM)

Stevie Mallan (CM)

Kyle Hutton (CM)

Lewis Morgan (LM/RM)

Lewis McLear (RM/FWD)

Calum Gallagher (RM/FWD)

Jordan Stewart (LM/LB )

Forwards

David Clarkson (ST)

John Sutton (ST)

Note: this is as per the official site - there are obviously U20s that could be included, such as Kyle McAllister (based on his appearances last season), but I have left them out for now.

Edited by ulysses

Wasn't overly impressed with Langfield last year. I know he had a couple of man of the match games, but I am hoping we sign a keeper who will either take over the No.1 spot or push Jamie all the way. The midfield is looking more balanced, on paper, than last year's. Hopefully we add a goalkeeper and a couple of forwards.

The squad is really starting to take shape now after the Sutton signing. 3 more would leave us in a strong position, pace up front and in wide areas has to be a priority.

Interestingly we're yet to explore the loan market, let's hope Rae and Faz can secure some gems!  :clapping 

COYS!

2 hours ago, MotherwellSaint said:

langfield/gallagher

naisy      irvine/stewart

gordon/baird mckenzie/webster

gallagher/mclear quinn   hutton  morgan/mcallister

sutton  clarkson

that's how squad is looking the now

No Mallan?

We're in a far far stronger position than we were going into the start of last season and there is still over a month to go until the league campaign starts.

Here's the starting XI from our opening day defeat at Ibrox last season;

Ridgers, Naismith, Conlan, Baird, Kelly, McMullan, Howieson, Carswell, Agnew, Mallan, Thompson

Easy to be wise after the event and all that but that back four was just asking for trouble.

Look at a potential starting XI if we were to have our opening game this weekend;

Langfield, Naismith, Irvine, MacKenzie, Webster, Quinn, Hutton, Mallan, Gallagher, Clarkson, Sutton

Only two survivors from that opening day lineup of last season and I think it's perfectly fair to say all 9 of the replacements are incremental improvements on the players they have replaced.

6 minutes ago, div said:

We're in a far far stronger position than we were going into the start of last season and there is still over a month to go until the league campaign starts.

Here's the starting XI from our opening day defeat at Ibrox last season;

Ridgers, Naismith, Conlan, Baird, Kelly, McMullan, Howieson, Carswell, Agnew, Mallan, Thompson

Easy to be wise after the event and all that but that back four was just asking for trouble.

Look at a potential starting XI if we were to have our opening game this weekend;

Langfield, Naismith, Irvine, MacKenzie, Webster, Quinn, Hutton, Mallan, Gallagher, Clarkson, Sutton

Only two survivors from that opening day lineup of last season and I think it's perfectly fair to say all 9 of the replacements are incremental improvements on the players they have replaced.

I agree, however Watson and Shankland were brought in and arguably they went on to be our best players. Both have since moved on.

56 minutes ago, Kendo said:

I agree, however Watson and Shankland were brought in and arguably they went on to be our best players. Both have since moved on.

Yes that is fair comment, they are two players who will be missed.

I'd argue though that a fit Jason Naismith is as good as Keith Watson.

21 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Also, did anyone see this? St Mirren have teamed up with Pro Life Fitness and the squad will be doing classes there a few times a week in order to improve their fitness, strength and conditioning.

Boy is that lady gonna whip their asses or what. Team should have been doing this years ago,