Forum Upgrade

3 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Under the old forum, when my browser opened i had it immediately go to "view new posts" showing unread content since my last visit,

I've kinda go that now with the new forum with Unread Content then Show Me Content Items Only, Content Types -Topics, , Read Status - Content I haven't Read; Unread item links take me to the first unread comment, Ownership -Everything, Following - Everything, Sorting - Newest Activity First then Save As new stream.

Phew!!!

You could have just clicked on unread content in the top right of the board.

All users unread content was reset as part of the upgrade process but over the coming days it will all settle down and start behaving more or less exactly as it did before.

2 hours ago, HSS said:

I don't like the upgrade at all.It's a pure cluster f'ck.Bring back the old one.

You said the same about the last upgrade, and the one before that, and the one before that..............

This is modern responsive software, you'll get used to it squire!

The site, the software, and the server it runs on is funded by the advertisements, keeps it free.

The ads do slow down the load time but on a decent connection you shouldn't really notice it.

I know people don't like the adverts so as an option I will be shortly be giving people the chance to upgrade their membership to remove the adverts from desktop and mobile. This will be priced at £0.87p a month (or £10 for a whole year)

The site will always remain free, and I know everyone has enough to shell out for these days with supporters clubs, fan led buy outs and the like but this will allow users to opt out of the adverts if they so wish whilst still contributing to the running costs.

7 minutes ago, div said:

The site, the software, and the server it runs on is funded by the advertisements, keeps it free.

The ads do slow down the load time but on a decent connection you shouldn't really notice it.

I know people don't like the adverts so as an option I will be shortly be giving people the chance to upgrade their membership to remove the adverts from desktop and mobile. This will be priced at £0.87p a month (or £10 for a whole year)

The site will always remain free, and I know everyone has enough to shell out for these days with supporters clubs, fan led buy outs and the like but this will allow users to opt out of the adverts if they so wish whilst still contributing to the running costs.

I think I'll sign up for this. I appreciate that you have a living to make, mate,so the ads are a necessary evil, but they are causing a bit of a lag - especially on 4g.  A tenner a year is buttons, so I'm in!

8 minutes ago, div said:

The adverts don't bother me Div, but (again, might be me being a diddy), in the last version I could leave the forum, come back in, click on a thread that had obviously seen some activity since my last visit, and clicking on it would take me to the last post I'd read in that particular thread.

Now, clicking on a thread takes me to the very first post in it, not where I was before. I can click on the 'unread content' button, but that throws up a page showing posts in various threads, all out-of-context, as they simply look like individual posts with no relation to what went before.

Is it just me? I would like to go to the 'forums' page, see the ones that have been added to and clicking on them takes me to the last post within that thread I read, then I pick things up from where I left them.

Have to be honest, I'm struggling a bit with this format. I can't keep my place in threads which is a pain in the arse, and the excruciatingly slow loading (even on my very fast home broadband) is putting me off using the forum just now -  every cloud, I hear you shout.

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Have to be honest, I'm struggling a bit with this format. I can't keep my place in threads which is a pain in the arse, and the excruciatingly slow loading (even on my very fast home broadband) is putting me off using the forum just now -  every cloud, I hear you shout.

EVERY CLOUD.

Would put smillies in but disnae like ma phone smillies.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

The site is loading quicker than it was before going by all the server metrics.

What browser are you using Drew?

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The adverts don't bother me Div, but (again, might be me being a diddy), in the last version I could leave the forum, come back in, click on a thread that had obviously seen some activity since my last visit, and clicking on it would take me to the last post I'd read in that particular thread.

Now, clicking on a thread takes me to the very first post in it, not where I was before. I can click on the 'unread content' button, but that throws up a page showing posts in various threads, all out-of-context, as they simply look like individual posts with no relation to what went before.

Is it just me? I would like to go to the 'forums' page, see the ones that have been added to and clicking on them takes me to the last post within that thread I read, then I pick things up from where I left them.

The upgrade reset all the unread post data. Over the next few days it will settle down and when you go into topics you will be taken to the last unread post.

Bear with it, it WILL settle down.

24 minutes ago, shull said:

Why were posts deleted ?

Can understand on Pie & Bovril where there are millions. but not here.

We were still carrying well over a million posts. The upgrade ran a lot quicker after deleting a load of old nonsense!