The Politics Thread

shull

6 hours ago, The Real Zippy said:

It was. Why would I lay out 'plans'. I have given Stuart numerous opportunities to read some of the example figures and quote them ad nauseaum. He has chosen not to, or rather ignored them.

I've told you they've all been debunked. That's the problem for the Natsi's. They have no credible economic case. 

4 minutes ago, The Real Zippy said:

I wasnt referring to the White Paper at all. I was referring to the latest GERS figures.

Whether you agree with the basic principle of GERS or not - and Alex Salmond certainly used to when it showed a surplus - that doesn't answer the question. How do you balance the budget in Scotland? There is no question that Scotland spends more than it earns, so how will an Independent Scotland balance the books? I'm not even asking how the SNP will cover all the extra promises like free nursery places for every child. I'm just asking how you afford to maintain the status quo? 

So far in government we've seen public services cut year on year and council services slashed as a direct result of SNP policy and the Council Tax freeze. 

11 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

The UK Governments Spending Review published last year made clear that public expenditure in Scotland will face year-on-year real term reductions until the end of this decade. This means Scotland’s budget will continue to fall and by 2020 it will be 12.5 per cent lower in real terms than when the Conservatives came to power in 2010. This is the equivalent of one pound in every eight we spend being cut by Westminster by 2020.

Go on, tell us thats not true.

It's not true. 

Here's the link to the Spending Review of 2015. In the document it states clearly that spending in Scotland will increase. It even gives projected figures

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/spending-review-and-autumn-statement-2015-key-announcements

13. More money for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will all receive more money to be spent on infrastructure projects, with each government deciding where this will be spent.

This will be an increase of around 14% for Scotland, 16% for Wales and 12% for Northern Ireland.

Scotland 25.9 26.1 26.3 26.3 26.5 *

I'll be interested to know how you can be certain that is a real term reduction when you have no idea what the inflation or indeed deflation rate will be in the future. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

14 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Errrrrrr... Do you think the white paper presented ahead of the last referendum would have produced a balanced budget?

That would all depend on the level of UK debt passed over to the Scottish Government and the interest rate borrowing incurred for a Scottish government. 

There would also have to be cuts, Trident and the foreign office budget, contributions to civil list etc. 

Balanced? probably not but likely to a whole lot better than the current gers figures. Mostly like a deficit of around 8%.

This is all speculation but it's my speculation so it's probably right:D

That would all depend on the level of UK debt passed over to the Scottish Government and the interest rate borrowing incurred for a Scottish government. 

There would also have to be cuts, Trident and the foreign office budget, contributions to civil list etc. 

Balanced? probably not but likely to a whole lot better than the current gers figures. Mostly like a deficit of around 8%.

This is all speculation but it's my speculation so it's probably right[emoji3]

So technically, a deficit of 8% would indeed see us "better off".

Nice.

How do we pay off our debts though?

Guest TPAFKATS

Bad manners?
Hahahahaha
I did answer you. The UK doesn't pay its debts, it just prints off more money. You seem to assert that despite this, Scotland needs to have a plan to do what UK doesn't currently do. That's hardly a level playing field us it?

However, the figures are all whataboutery as each Scottish Government would put forward it's own proposals on how to generate income and spend revenues including any loans thar it might have.

So technically, a deficit of 8% would indeed see us "better off".

Nice.

How do we pay off our debts though?

Erm. That wouldnt see us better off at all. Currently Scotland is part of the UK and our total deficit as a Union is 4% of GDP.

I would accept his assertion but he clearly shows Scots would be worse off on our own and that's without any consideration of the interest rate we'd have to pay on our government Gilts and Bonds to cover the debt.

Bad manners?
Hahahahaha
I did answer you. The UK doesn't pay its debts, it just prints off more money. You seem to assert that despite this, Scotland needs to have a plan to do what UK doesn't currently do. That's hardly a level playing field us it?

However, the figures are all whataboutery as each Scottish Government would put forward it's own proposals on how to generate income and spend revenues including any loans thar it might have.

Printing more money sends inflation through the roof and devalues your currency. You also would not be able to do this if you are intent on using either the UK pound, or the Euro as your currency.

Guest TPAFKATS

Printing more money sends inflation through the roof and devalues your currency. You also would not be able to do this if you are intent on using either the UK pound, or the Euro as your currency.

Get someone to read my post and explain it to you Stuart.

Ditching Trident, which in an independent Scotland would save 64bn, is a good place to start.

Alex Salmond says that would save Scotland £163m per annum. It's a saving Zippy, but when your running an annual deficit of £15,000,000,000 it the equivalent of remembering to return your Irn Bru bottles.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-independence-trident-costs-taxpayers-in-scotland-m-a-day-says-alex-salmond-1-2610802

Alex Salmond says that would save Scotland £163m per annum. It's a saving Zippy, but when your running an annual deficit of £15,000,000,000 it the equivalent of remembering to return your Irn Bru bottles.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-independence-trident-costs-taxpayers-in-scotland-m-a-day-says-alex-salmond-1-2610802

It doesn't even cover the cost of the SNP pledge to extend the number of free nursery places

His [Hammond] targets for getting rid of the deficit are being ditched. Let's face it, George Osborne missed them time and again in any case, but it is politically a big shift for Mr Hammond and Mrs May to tear up the previous borrowing rules, when balancing the books was the central mission of the government they were all part of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37536943

In other words, abject financial failure by the Tories, since they came to "power" and it looks like it will continue in the long run.

One way to reduce the overall UK deficit would be for the Scottish Government to start bringing in as much as it spends.

It's interesting that you see an annual deficit of 4% of GDP as abject failure whilst espousing a project that would leave the people of Scotland trying to cover a deficit of 9% of GDP and you want to do this without affording your national government the fiscal levers that would allow you to stimulate growth.

Still it was a nice attempt at defection. Now how about telling us where you are going to find the £15bn per annum just to help us cover our current spending levels?