The Politics Thread

shull

8 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

In 2014, Hungary's biggest export markets were Germany, Romania, Italy, Austria and the USA, we didn't even make it into the top 5. The USA, at 5th, accounted for $4.88bn of $106bn of exports, we were obviously less than that. Even if you say that they exported $4bn worth of stuff to the UK (it could have been a lot less, but not much more), that would only be about 3.8% of their exports.

You're talking shit again.

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/***/

I didn't say we were their biggest export market, but we are a major export market for them. Look further into your article and you discover that a large number of their exports are to Germany in the form of car parts and car engines. 810,000 of those cars every year are then sold to the UK. Put trade barriers in place and Hungary undoubtedly suffers. Hungary are already on the brink of leaving the EU anyway. 98% of those Hungarians who voted in a referendum in October rejected EU migrant quotas. 

Still, what's a few £billion amongst friends eh? The Scottish Government relies on UK subsidies three times that, just to balance the spending to tax revenue deficit in Scotland. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I didn't say we were their biggest export market, but we are a major export market for them. Look further into your article and you discover that a large number of their exports are to Germany in the form of car parts and car engines. 810,000 of those cars every year are then sold to the UK. Put trade barriers in place and Hungary undoubtedly suffers. Hungary are already on the brink of leaving the EU anyway. 98% of those Hungarians who voted in a referendum in October rejected EU migrant quotas. 

Still, what's a few £billion amongst friends eh? The Scottish Government relies on UK subsidies three times that, just to balance the spending to tax revenue deficit in Scotland. 

What a pile if wanky pish...

8 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Stop wriggling.

Are you trying to say that about 3.8% makes us a major export market?

Country of origin for car parts does not equate to the UK importing from that country. If we import sugar from Barbados but Barbados gets it's fertiliser from Jamaica, do you class that as us importing from Jamaica?

As I said, you're talking shit.

So what happens to Hungary's exports if the UK stops buying German cars? 

You know I'm right. Hungary are angry enough with the EU without having to deal with the loss of jobs that would come from the UK being allowed to leave without a free trade agreement. 

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The UK won't stop buying German cars so you point is moot.

Now answer the questions and stop wriggling.

Does 3.8% make us a major export market?

Under the scenario mentioned, would you class it as the UK importing from Jamaica?

3.8% of total exports in terms of an Independent Scotland would be absolutely massive. 

A breakdown of Scotlands export markets in 2014 

64% to the Rest of the UK

15% to the Rest of the EU

3% to the Rest of Europe. 

17% to the rest of the world. 

An Independent Scotland would be f**ked without that money. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

3.8% of total exports in terms of an Independent Scotland would be absolutely massive. 

What a pile of wanky pish...

What has a hypothetical independent Scotland got to do with how much Hungary exports to the UK?

You're just trying to change the subject because you know that you've made a c**t of yourself, again.

But, to humour you, how much of the 64% that is "exported" to the rest of the UK is actually really just stuff getting moved there before being sent abroad? I can tell you the answer, if you want.

I haven't made a c**t of myself at all. Its you that is making a c**t of yourself. Hungary is already on the brink of leaving the EU. A referendum on EU migrant quotas was rejected by 98% of those who voted. The prospect of being denied free trade with the UK, a major export market for them, would push them even further over the edge. That is all fact.

You then came up with a figure of 3.8% and claimed that meant the UK was not a significant export market. I've simply shown in terms everyone can understand why it is significant and how it would be an absolute folly to impose trade restrictions on a major export market.

Now perhaps we should visit the SNP policy of agitating for separation from an export market that accounted for 64% of all Scottish exports in 2014. Do you think that is insignificant also?

I haven't made a c**t of myself at all. Its you that is making a c**t of yourself. Hungary is already on the brink of leaving the EU. A referendum on EU migrant quotas was rejected by 98% of those who voted. The prospect of being denied free trade with the UK, a major export market for them, would push them even further over the edge. That is all fact.

You then came up with a figure of 3.8% and claimed that meant the UK was not a significant export market. I've simply shown in terms everyone can understand why it is significant and how it would be an absolute folly to impose trade restrictions on a major export market.

Now perhaps we should visit the SNP policy of agitating for separation from an export market that accounted for 64% of all Scottish exports in 2014. Do you think that is insignificant also?

Guest TPAFKATS

No, 3.8% would still only amount to 3.8% of Scotland's exports.
So you either regard 3.8% as being absolutely massive for all or for none.
That's kinda how percentages work. Looks like you weren't paying attention at school that day

Of course if you claim 3.8% of an independent Scotlands exports would be absolutely massive, just think how big a market 100% would be.
Saor Alba

4 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

No, 3.8% would still only amount to 3.8% of Scotland's exports.
So you either regard 3.8% as being absolutely massive for all or for none.
That's kinda how percentages work. Looks like you weren't paying attention at school that day

Of course if you claim 3.8% of an independent Scotlands exports would be absolutely massive, just think how big a market 100% would be.
Saor Alba

It's your comprehension skills that are in doubt. I was saying that a loss of 3.8% of Scottish exports would be absolutely massive to an Independent Scotland - and the point I went on to make was that it would be stupid to be in a situation where we had trade and border barriers affecting our biggest export market, the 64% to the rest of the UK. That would indeed leave Alba's arse awfy sore. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS
It's your comprehension skills that are in doubt. I was saying that a loss of 3.8% of Scottish exports would be absolutely massive to an Independent Scotland - and the point I went on to make was that it would be stupid to be in a situation where we had trade and border barriers affecting our biggest export market, the 64% to the rest of the UK. That would indeed leave Alba's arse awfy sore. 

No, it would be a loss of 3.8%. If it's 'absolutely massive' for one country, then it's the same for all.
Comprehension skills...

25 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

Oh dear.
So what does that make 96.2%?

A hell of a lot more. Which again was the point I was making when I highlighted the 64% exports that Scotland currently make to the rest of the UK. 

To recap for you. I said that Hungary were already unhappy with the EU over freedom of movement and imposing tariffs on exports to a major export market for them like the UK would likely push them over the edge. The second village idiot - you're Natsi mate - challenged that and came up with the figure of 3.8% saying that if exports to the UK accounted for 3.8% of all Hungarian exports it wasn't a major export market. I disagreed. I then showed in an Scottish Context, showed that a loss of 3.8% of Scottish exports would have been a disaster for an Independent Scotland, trying to help your pal get his head around the argument, and I then pointed out that even more ridiculous would be for Scotland to leave it's free trade and open border agreement with it's biggest export market which accounted for 64% of all Scottish exports in 2014 - the rest of the UK. 

It was at this point you started your ear biting nonsense completely missing the point I was making. It's a shame I've got Coward on ignore really. I'm sure he'd take the Natsi village idiot quota to 3 on this thread. :rolleyes:

Indeed - that has been my argument all along. I know you are a bit slow but have another read. :rolleyes:

A hell of a lot more. Which again was the point I was making when I highlighted the 64% exports that Scotland currently make to the rest of the UK. 

To recap for you. I said that Hungary were already unhappy with the EU over freedom of movement and imposing tariffs on exports to a major export market for them like the UK would likely push them over the edge. The second village idiot - you're Natsi mate - challenged that and came up with the figure of 3.8% saying that if exports to the UK accounted for 3.8% of all Hungarian exports it wasn't a major export market. I disagreed. I then showed in an Scottish Context, showed that a loss of 3.8% of Scottish exports would have been a disaster for an Independent Scotland, trying to help your pal get his head around the argument, and I then pointed out that even more ridiculous would be for Scotland to leave it's free trade and open border agreement with it's biggest export market which accounted for 64% of all Scottish exports in 2014 - the rest of the UK. 

It was at this point you started your ear biting nonsense completely missing the point I was making. It's a shame I've got Coward on ignore really. I'm sure he'd take the Natsi village idiot quota to 3 on this thread. :rolleyes:

On 01/12/2016 at 6:46 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Sorry? What?

Stay in the single market, for which they will have to agree to freedom of movement, implementation of lots of EU laws / regulations and also pay lots of money into the EU. No rebate, no EU funding and no "seat at the table".

Freedom of movement is what a lot of Leave voters thought they were voting to stop.

Paying money into the EU is what a lot of Leave voters thought they were voting to stop.

Having to implement EU laws is what a lot of Leave voters thought they were voting to stop.

The EU is going to make an example of the UK to discourage other countries from leaving, anyone who thinks otherwise is naive, which will result in either the UK leaving totally with a shitty deal or finding a way to not leave the EU at all, either via a Commons vote or via another referendum.

But, yes, lentil soup is nice. :)

You are right , the Norway deal is poor and the one that the Swiss have is by some margin, even worse. However , Europe was formulated by the Germans for the benefit of Germans to be run by Germans . It is the fourth Reich. .

Despite Merkel's rhetoric , she will need to make a deal with the British as Britain is their biggest trading partner . I do think , Britain's exit is likely to the bring about the end of the Club of Rome trade scam , maybe not right away but definitely the beginning of the end . It has been an insidious thing that has crept up on us over the last 40yrs or so and is nothing like what people voted for in the referendum launched by the Wilson regime. .

Anyway , back on topic . .l think Sturgeon has now backed off from the idea of another referendum for now . She now knows that at present it would be another No , despite the Exit vote. There will l believe be another 1 referendum , there will not be another 2 or 3 for that matter and Sturgeon will only go this time when she is convinced that she can get the result she wants. .

Guest TPAFKATS

Mad
Completely f**king mental with no comprehension of simple numbers and percentages
You seem to think that simply throwing around numbers which aren't related makes your case
Are you part of the Brexit negotiating team?

54 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

Mad
Completely f**king mental with no comprehension of simple numbers and percentages
You seem to think that simply throwing around numbers which aren't related makes your case
Are you part of the Brexit negotiating team?

I'm just glad you and your Natsi pals aren't. Imagine writing off 3.8% of your countries national exports as "nothing major" :rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS
I'm just glad you and your Natsi pals aren't. Imagine writing off 3.8% of your countries national exports as "nothing major" :rolleyes:

Imagine claiming 3.8% is absolutely massive while dismissing the remaining 96.2%