The Politics Thread

shull

15 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Over a million Scots voted to leave. She promised to represent them too did she not?

Exactly. And the majority of Scots voted to remain in the UK, and the majority of the UK voted to leave the EU. 

It is anti democratic to ignore the will of the majority as Nicola Sturgeon is doing here. It's a blatant selfish careerist move to maintain division when the whole of the UK needs to pull together especially right now. The funny thing is that by the time any Indy Referendum can be held the UK will have gotten through all the "bumps" that leaving the EU may cause it, it will have trade agreements set up and our economy will be booming again - whilst the Scottish Government will still be producing budgets showing the country remains in deficit. 

Sturgeon and these brain dead zombie followers of hers who still can't get over having had their arse handed to them 2 years ago just continue to damage the country they profess to be nationalistic about. Sad really. 

11 minutes ago, Sergie's no1 fan said:

Wouldn't it be un-democratic if the people of Scotland wanted an Indyref2 and we didn't get one?

Are we going to have a referendum on whether to have a referendum? 

Remember the SNP didn't put an Indy Ref 2 on any electoral manifesto deliberately because it would have harmed their vote in the Scottish Election. 

1 minute ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Are we going to have a referendum on whether to have a referendum? 

Remember the SNP didn't put an Indy Ref 2 on any electoral manifesto deliberately because it would have harmed their vote in the Scottish Election. 

But they did say if Scotland voted to remain in the EU and were dragged out by England then this could trigger another referendum and that was on their manifesto.

2 minutes ago, Kendo said:

But they did say if Scotland voted to remain in the EU and were dragged out by England then this could trigger another referendum and that was on their manifesto.

I'm afraid you'll have to direct me to the bit where they say that

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/thesnp/pages/5540/attachments/original/1461935515/SNP_Manifesto2016_-_ER.pdf?1461935515

9 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Exactly. And the majority of Scots voted to remain in the UK, and the majority of the UK voted to leave the EU. 

It is anti democratic to ignore the will of the majority as Nicola Sturgeon is doing here. It's a blatant selfish careerist move to maintain division when the whole of the UK needs to pull together especially right now. The funny thing is that by the time any Indy Referendum can be held the UK will have gotten through all the "bumps" that leaving the EU may cause it, it will have trade agreements set up and our economy will be booming again - whilst the Scottish Government will still be producing budgets showing the country remains in deficit. 

Sturgeon and these brain dead zombie followers of hers who still can't get over having had their arse handed to them 2 years ago just continue to damage the country they profess to be nationalistic about. Sad really. 

Damage the country they profess to be nationalistic about? Really?

So you can't see the difference in two entirely different referenda?

I believe that you can see the difference Stuart, but..... ?

I see that Morgan Stanley have already announced that they will move 2,000 jobs out of the UK and into either Dublin or Frankfurt.

And there were those who told us during the Independence referendum that a yes vote wouldn't harm jobs in financial services in Scotland.

Hilariously, we even had someone citing HSBC as an example of a foreign bank (what a jolly jape) operating in the UK while Drew assured us that it all be okay due to 'international flows of money' whatever that meant!

As to Kendo's point of view, I voted No & Remain. All my immediate family and most of my close friends voted likewise. We'd all still vote No in a second referendum.

I have one mate who voted No and Leave and he too would still vote No.

A vote for Leave is not a reason for a second referendum.

Indeed, the reasons for staying in UK are possibly more important now.

it's also ironic that Scotland has voted the same way in the EU referendum as the 'better off' in the UK.

The Leave vote was won with the votes of the English working class.

That's a right kick in the balls for the leftie SNP fandans on this forum!

Edited by nosferatu

5 minutes ago, nosferatu said:

I see that Morgan Stanley have already announced that they will move 2,000 jobs out of the UK and into either Dublin or Frankfurt.

And there were those who told us during the Independence referendum that a yes vote wouldn't harm jobs in financial services in Scotland.

Hilariously, we even had someone citing HSBC as an example of a foreign bank (what a jolly jape) operating in the UK while Drew assured us that it all be okay due to 'international flows of money' whatever that meant!

As to Kendo's point of view, I voted No & Remain. All my immediate family and most of my close friends voted likewise. We'd all still vote No in a second referendum.

I have one mate who voted No and Leave and he too would still vote No.

A vote for Leave is not a reason for a second referendum.

Indeed, the reasons for staying in UK are possibly more important now.

it's also ironic that Scotland has voted the same way in the EU referendum as the 'better off' in the UK.

The Leave vote was won with the votes of the English working class.

That's a right kick in the balls for the leftie SNP fandans on this forum!

And it was the English who voted to leave, whilst the Scots would have stayed, and negated the  Jolly jape that you are referring to?

You fictitious teutonic wannabe vampires need to chill out in the sun dude lol

Now we are out of the EU the SNP could have used the opportunity to vary the rate of VAT in Scotland to boost the Scottish economy. Do they plan to do that? Nope. Instead Sturgeon calls for an Independence Referendum as she attempts to get back to hiding behind the EU. What a pathetic way to represent Scotland! 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Is that not exactly what happened last night?

So which opinions do we honour and which do we ignore in your version of democracy?

When major changes happen, as they did last night, which defy the wishes of nearly two thirds of the Scottish electorate, it is entirely reasonable to ask people if they have changed their mind about our place in the UK.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Which was NO and LEAVE.

So what exactly is her problem under your splendid and accurate definition.

If you participate in a vote willingly, you have to be prepared for outcomes you may not like.

A large part of the NO was as a result of fear over losing our EU place.

That has happened anyway.

Therefire it is reasonable to review such a close Scottish Independence vote.

1 hour ago, Kendo said:

57 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Stuart, you must be the only person in the northern hemisphere who doesn't remember hearing Sturgeon repeatedly state that Scotland being dragged out of the EU against her will was grounds for another referendum.

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A large part of the NO was as a result of fear over losing our EU place.

That has happened anyway.

Therefire it is reasonable to review such a close Scottish Independence vote.

Was it?

You really think that being part of the EU was a priority?

All the nationalist wanted was "freedom", this fantasy that being part of the EU is a smokescreen.

Away and don't talk shite.

Edited by faraway saint

How anyone can lay blame at the SNP if we end up in another referendum is beyond me. Blame UKIP and the Tories who have left us in this mess by pedalling the myth that immigrants are to blame for the ills of the country when the blame lies squarely with government austerity policies. It's beyond me how naive middle England must be to swallow this crap hook, line and sinker aided in no small part by the media.

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Was it?

You really think that being part of the EU was a priority?

All the nationalist wanted was "freedom", this fantasy that being part of the EU is a smokescreen.

Away and don't talk shite.

I know of "non-nationalists" who didn't vote for independence over the threat of not being part of the EU, the "nationalists" voted for independence irrespective of the EU vote

Just now, WeeBud said:

I know of "non-nationalists" who didn't vote for independence over the threat of not being part of the EU, the "nationalists" voted for independence irrespective of the EU vote

Absolutely.

When the vote was as close as 55-45 it was always going to be the case that any sort of thing like the EU would have some impact.

We'll soon find out how much of an impact when indyref2 is called.

Those saying the EU thing was irrelevant are simply unhappy about the democratic process in action.

That's their problem TBH.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Absolutely.

When the vote was as close as 55-45 it was always going to be the case that any sort of thing like the EU would have some impact.

We'll soon find out how much of an impact when indyref2 is called.

Those saying the EU thing was irrelevant are simply unhappy about the democratic process in action.

That's their problem TBH.

How many democratic processes do you want?

Oh I know, till you get your own way.

Hilarious.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Stuart, you must be the only person in the northern hemisphere who doesn't remember hearing Sturgeon repeatedly state that Scotland being dragged out of the EU against her will was grounds for another referendum.

Oh he heard alright.