The Politics Thread

shull

10 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

There’s some reality though - you know yourself that you can’t live on £300 a month. So why are a number of our politicians happy to see people struggle by? There was an SNP MP who recently made the comparison that someone on UC was getting £317.82 a month while the Lord’s daily pay was being raised to £323. We’ve had years of austerity and cuts because there’s “no money”, but we can pay one Lord £323 per day to go to f**king sleep.

Sorry if I’m being pedantic here, but don’t you need to have British citizenship to stand as an MP? That would rule me out. I would also add that few vote for the “person”, just the “party”. If people voted for the individual then Cornwall would not have elected the likes of the absolute prick that is Steve Double and George Useless/Useless Eustace. Just look at the Change UK group or whatever it was - all lost their seats in a December. I would prefer to see a more individual based approach, but it seems you need to be of a really high profile to stand as an independent and succeed. How many of them even manage to get their deposit back?

I can't comment on the rationale behind those UC payments but IMO you need a lot more than that per month to keep your head above water.

You are probably right about the citizenship thing. I forgot you weren't British.Presumably you could sort that quite easily if you wanted to though.

13 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Come on oaky, you’re kidding yourself if you think Mogg has any grasp on reality. Born in a rich family, Eton scholarship, nannied through life, everything handed to him on a plate, and now has a nanny to do all his parenting for him. Gets away with stashing his money offshore.

The man hasn’t ever struggled in life. He’s never had to live on minimum wage. Never had to live on £300 a month. He’s an elitist born into the elite world. Claims he lives by Christian values yet shafts the poor at every opportunity. If Jesus was found to actually be the real “saviour”, I highly doubt he’d approve of Mogg’s morals and attitude towards those less fortunate than him.

It might be my opinion, but one thing can be for sure - he wouldn’t last a day on a council estate, wouldn’t last a day working as a cleaner in your local supermarket, and he wouldn’t last a month on £300.

Lol...remind me which Westminster party “lost” all of those files on pedophilia?

What makes you think a person who's been in these circumstances would be any better?

I'd suggest the majority of people in these circumstances would be worse than anyone currently making decisions for the government. 

Edited by faraway saint

36 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Scotland is a country
England is a country
The UK is not a country

#thichasf**k

The UK is made up of 3 long standing countries Scotland (the oldest I believe), England and Wales and one that was engineered around 100 years ago, Northern Ireland. They are together by voluntary agreement. This can be changed. 

Guest TPAFKATS
See I view it differently
  • Scotland is not a country.
  • The UK is a country.
  • England's population comprising 83% of the UKs makes it a pseudo-country

You can view it any way you like bud.

6 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
7 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:
See I view it differently
  • Scotland is not a country.
  • The UK is a country.
  • England's population comprising 83% of the UKs makes it a pseudo-country

Scotland is a constituent country of the UK. The UK is a nation. At least, that's how it used to be defined, f**k knows how it's defined now.

Theoretically yes, in practice the UK only works for England and really only for LondonLand, even Ruth Davidson said so and what's BJs current "levelling up" rhetoric if not a tacit admission of that?

Time to get the fuck out of Dodge....

Edited by Bud the Baker

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Theoretically yes, in practice the UK only works for England and really only for LondonLand, even Ruth Davidson said so and what's BJs current "levelling up" rhetoric if not a tacit admission of that?

Time to get the fuck out of Dodge....

Thing is...

….whilst I am ever more leaning towards the idea that Scotland should gtf  out of the relationship, and I do understand your pain and frustration - my votes have seldom mattered at all in my life -  the reality keeps intruding.

London is NOT going to go away.   Capitalism is not going to stop at the border.  London may well be a problem wrt the rest of the UK, but you'll never be able to ignore its ramifications by simply hoping for the best.

15 hours ago, antrin said:

Thing is...

….whilst I am ever more leaning towards the idea that Scotland should gtf  out of the relationship, and I do understand your pain and frustration - my votes have seldom mattered at all in my life -  the reality keeps intruding.

London is NOT going to go away.   Capitalism is not going to stop at the border.  London may well be a problem wrt the rest of the UK, but you'll never be able to ignore its ramifications by simply hoping for the best.

You may be correct, an Independent Scotland may not be feasible with a larger, hostile neighbour to the south but there are other successful counties of our size in the EU - 12 of the remaining have populations similar (5-6 million) or smaller than ours and a number of others that are not significantly bigger.

BJs government is schizophrenic - they talk about continuing free trade with the EU but say Scotland will be crippled by regulations if we become independent, Johnson himself talks of being a one-nation Conservative (a Brexity Hezza) while filling his Cabinet with the right-wing Ideologues of Britannia Unchained, tax evaders like the current Chancellor and other City speculators like Rees-Mogg. Can their be any real doubt that the "real" future for the UK outside is a nasty, low regulation country for the majority.

I live in hope of an independent Scotland that is left & green leaning, let the billionaires fuck off to Mars - who needs them anyway?

:offtopic Moving off-topic there was a Philip K. Dick short story Survey Team printed in the 50s (!) where the rich plan to leave for Mars only to find on arriving there that that was where we had originally come from after destroying the red planet's ecology in the dim & distant past. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

You may be correct, an Independent Scotland may not be feasible with a larger, hostile neighbour to the south but there are other successful counties of our size in the EU - 12 of the remaining have populations similar (5-6 million) or smaller than ours others are not significantly bigger.

BJs government is schizophrenic - they talk about continuing free trade with the EU but say Scotland will be crippled by regulations if we become independent, Johnson himself talks of being a one-nation Conservative (a Brexity Hezza) while filling his Cabinet with the right-wing Ideologues of Britannia Unchained, tax evaders like the current Chancellor and other City speculators like Rees-Mogg. Can their be any real doubt that the "real" future for the UK outside is a nasty, low regulation country for the majority.

I live in hope of an independent Scotland that is left & green leaning, let the billionaires f**k off to Mars - who needs them anyway?

:offtopic Moving off-topic there was a Philip K. Dick short story Survey Team printed in the 50s (!) where the rich plan to leave for Mars only to find on arriving there that that was where we had originally come from after destroying the red planet's ecology in the dim & distant past. 

Aye, it’s the f**kin hope that gets us every time... :(

Tory MP James Grundy appears to have been exposing himself

So, we’ve heard all week about how the SNP are bad/full of sex pests/didn’t sack Mackay from a position they couldn’t sack him from/SNPbad/Sturgeon isn’t fit to lead etc.

The Tories did f**k all about Groper Thomson. Will they act on Grundy? Will the same media who lambasted the SNP lambast the Tories here?

Guest TPAFKATS
Tory MP James Grundy appears to have been exposing himself
So, we’ve heard all week about how the SNP are bad/full of sex pests/didn’t sack Mackay from a position they couldn’t sack him from/SNPbad/Sturgeon isn’t fit to lead etc.
The Tories did f**k all about Groper Thomson. Will they act on Grundy? Will the same media who lambasted the SNP lambast the Tories here?
This is rhetorical, right?

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

Probably not. There was this year another Tory politician convicted of sexual assault that was defended by another Unionist who sat in a neighbouring area. Almost no mention of it anywhere, but I know I'm not surprised about the lack of coverage.

Exactly, it’s not the same when it’s the Tories. Says it all there was more commotion over Mackay than the “lost” Westminster files.

19 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Can’t take anyone seriously who considers the express to be worth reading.

So full of shit there’s no point wiping your arse with it.

I would add the Telegraph and the Times to that list... Plus the Sun, Mirror and Record (apart from Sport)